• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Hello Hi, just started and looking for newbie advice

Diellashana

With regard to your army units. Training size doe not equal squad size. You will see a difference in the numbers in your Barracks. I think they did the math this way so that when units fight, the squad size number is basically the strength of the unit. Example: if your training size is 20 but your squad size is 100 it will take you 5 training slots to raise your unit army count by 1.

Also, with regard to tech and optional research, there is no bad research and you need every single one of them. You will hurt yourself if you do not go back and research optional tech. You may see old posts from a couple of years ago about bad optional tech but that's no longer the case.

Iyapo1

I actually leave optional tech in my tree filled in but not researched for events. I cater so the squad size research is perfect for the occasional emergency "research a tech" quest. I am also trying to keep my city small so leaving tech expansions un-researched is possible.
If you dont want to fight, dont upgrade your barracks. It is one of the buildings you can not sell.

able99

@cdiamond . You asked for my best advice, so here it is.
The game has a certain pace to it and if you try to go faster it will create obstacles to slow you down.
When scouting, remember to scout in a circle around your position on the world map , never in one direction that takes you further away.
Temptation is to scout ahead and clear as many provinces as quickly as you can. If you outpace the game, the scouting new provinces will change from easy, to medium, to hard. More and more resources will be needed to clear the 8 encounters in the provinces. That's Elvenar telling you to slow down or it will make you slow down. Going at the right pace will keep everything at easy, or worse case medium.
If you need to scout ahead, only clear 7 of the 8 encounters in the province. That way it will not count as a complete province.
Welcome to Elvenar, enjoy the game and Good Luck to you.

Nerwa

1) Don't spend your initial diamonds on anything except Magic Academy upgrades. You'll earn more eventually, but it doesn't kick in much until chapter 3-4. After the MA is upgraded, you'll probably want them for crafting artifacts and/or premium city expansions. Waste not, want not.

2) Chapters 1 & 2 are kinda boring - you mostly want to follow the quests the game gives. Ch 3 is where you really start developing your own priorities & playing style. By chapter 4 you can do most of the game mechanics; ch 4 and/or 5 are good places to hang out & build up.

Once you hit ch 3:
3) Know before you grow. Pretty much every type of growth has negative consequences as well as positive ones. That applies to city expansion, building upgrades, scouting/completing provinces, researching tech, moving up chapters. Figuring out those consequences & making things work for you is a huge part of the game.

4) Build up your reserves. A 2-week supply of basically *everything* is a good starting point. How much two-weeks' worth is varies widely from person to person.

5) Ask for suggestions & advice, but don't get hung up on it. The game is always changing; a player who started a month ago is going to have different opportunities than you. Someone who started a year ago? Very different. Which brings me to:

6) Time is a major resource. (AKA, don't be hasty.) Game events are at least a month apart (3 weeks on/1 week off) & have great prizes, especially for new cities. Some prizes in the Spire & the Magic Academy rotate every few weeks. The resources you need to upgrade buildings are the same as what you need to research tech and solve encounters. If you are struggling to do everything, slowing down will spread the demand out & effectively lower your needs.

Have fun. Don't burn yourself out. Help others have fun & not burn out. This is the way.

Last edited:

sambria

Chef
1) Don't spend your initial diamonds on anything except Magic Academy upgrades. You'll earn more eventually, but it doesn't kick in much until chapter 3-4. After the MA is upgraded, you'll probably want them for crafting artifacts and/or premium city expansions. Waste not, want not.

2) Chapters 1 & 2 are kinda boring - you mostly want to follow the quests the game gives. Ch 3 is where you really start developing your own priorities & playing style. By chapter 4 you can do most of the game mechanics; ch 4 and/or 5 are good places to hang out & build up.

Once you hit ch 3:
3) Know before you grow. That applies to city expansion, building upgrades, scouting/completing provinces, researching tech, moving up chapters. Pretty much every type of growth has negative consequences as well as positive ones. Figuring out those consequences & making things work for you is a huge part of the game.

4) Build up your reserves. A 2-week supply of basically *everything* is a good starting point. How much two-weeks' worth is varies widely from person to person.

5) Ask for suggestions & advice, but don't get hung up on it. The game is always changing; a player who started a month ago is going to have different opportunities than you. Someone who started a year ago? Very different. Which brings me to:

6) Time is a major resource. (AKA, don't be hasty.) Game events are at least a month apart (3 weeks on/1 week off) & have great prizes, especially for new cities. Some prizes in the Spire & the Magic Academy rotate every few weeks. The resources you need to upgrade buildings are the same as what you need to research tech and solve encounters. If you are struggling to do everything, slowing down will spread the demand out & effectively lower your needs.

Have fun. Don't burn yourself out. Help others have fun & not burn out. This is the way.

That is some really good info @Nerwa . Some of that I did not know and am glad that u took advantage and added a few things. I'm in chapter 3 right now almost chapter 4, and I was going to post something about chapter 4. Now I don't have to. Thank you again!!!

SuNaya Dark

Definitely find a good fellowship, and don't be afraid to move around in FS to find the right fit. That is going to make all of the difference. Not only will it help your city grow, but once you find a group of players you enjoy chatting with, the game becomes much more fun.
Interesting. I play another game that adamantly DIScourages jumping from Group to Group until you find a good fit.
So, if I join a Fellowhsip, and I don't think I belong, I can change several times and not be considered "flakey"?
I rather like that.
PS - 13 is my lucky number, so I love your game name! :cool::p

Jackluyt

Platinum Leaf -FB
Interesting. I play another game that adamantly DIScourages jumping from Group to Group until you find a good fit.
So, if I join a Fellowhsip, and I don't think I belong, I can change several times and not be considered "flakey"?
I rather like that.
PS - 13 is my lucky number, so I love your game name! :cool::p
If you do your research carefully, you should not need to keep hopping randomly. So it is important to know what you are looking for, and then go out and find it. In that case, one or two moves should suffice.
Also bear in mind that your game style may change with time as you become more expert, or as you begin to see the benefit of tournaments and spires, or perhaps real life may intervene so that you have more or less time available. All of these things may mean that although your current fellowship suited your needs when you joined it, you may have moved on and the time has come to seek a better fit. This is nothing to be ashamed of; I encourage my players to go where they will be comfortable, and will enjoy the game according to their current needs.

SuNaya Dark

If you do your research carefully, you should not need to keep hopping randomly. So it is important to know what you are looking for, and then go out and find it. In that case, one or two moves should suffice.
Also bear in mind that your game style may change with time as you become more expert, or as you begin to see the benefit of tournaments and spires, or perhaps real life may intervene so that you have more or less time available. All of these things may mean that although your current fellowship suited your needs when you joined it, you may have moved on and the time has come to seek a better fit. This is nothing to be ashamed of; I encourage my players to go where they will be comfortable, and will enjoy the game according to their current needs.
This is what I love about this game. If you have "evolved", your group lets you move to a new place that works better.
That is PRICELESS in gaming.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
What everybody else said and welcome! I hope you enjoy the game! It gets much more interesting and super fun once you hit the guest races. I always read about each guest race on elvengems.com before I start that chapter. It has been very helpful!

BrinDarby

only upgrade MainHall when you want to/need to ...
NOT when the dumb personal tasks tell you too......
Its a population/culture sinkhole, that earlier players
can't afford to waste on, untill absolutely need'd.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
only upgrade MainHall when you want to/need to ...
NOT when the dumb personal tasks tell you too......
Its a population/culture sinkhole, that earlier players
can't afford to waste on, untill absolutely need'd.
I always upgraded mine as fast as possible. It depends on if you visit a lot of neighbors every day. Those extra coins (and supplies, if you get them) really come in handy in the early chapters. However, if you only visit the ones who visit you and don't go for extra coins, then that may be a viable option.