• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

High level chapters are literally TOO MUCH

Iyapo1

that the average casual player who learns to rely on PPs in the early game will eventually struggle more than if they had less access to them
They already have less access to them. The inventories being displayed here do not belong to "the average casual player".
The average casual player(based on the leaderboards alone) does not even kill the frog every week. And Inno removed PPs from the spire for players below chapter 6.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
And Inno removed PPs from the spire for players below chapter 6.
An excellent step in the right direction.
Still, an appropriate amount of PP would be about enough to skip 10%-20% of a chapter's needs at a good pace.
If 50%+ can be reasonably achieved (and it can be) it's too much. It waters down the gameplay by a lot making the actual difficult parts that can't be skipped hit much harder which can lead to frustration and players quitting.
Remember, these advanced players you are railing against did all of those chapters with zero PP, and many of us have baby/tester cities ourselves.

edeba

You can do chapters slowly and take your time. That way they are not such a burden. And once you get down with the chapter, you then update everything rather than attempt to do it while in the chapter. Some exceptions, like chapter 17 MH must be updated to progress. Well over 10% of the top 100 players where I play have taken a break. I haven't heard any of them say it was because of the toughness of chapters. It appears RL is the issue. Also when 1 guy with several dozen alts stops playing or cities in 6 worlds it looks massive.
RL, but chapter 17 was so awful, it absolutely played in my decision to quit. After chapter 17 I don't ever want to do another chapter. I don't like the new tournament and they've just made the game unpleasant. If you go through the tournament feedback there is a consistent theme that the changes took away the fun.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
An excellent step in the right direction.
Still, an appropriate amount of PP would be about enough to skip 10%-20% of a chapter's needs at a good pace.
If 50%+ can be reasonably achieved (and it can be) it's too much. It waters down the gameplay by a lot making the actual difficult parts that can't be skipped hit much harder which can lead to frustration and players quitting.
Remember, these advanced players you are railing against did all of those chapters with zero PP, and many of us have baby/tester cities ourselves.

Another problem with PP use is that the very first guest race chapter sets a bad precedent. Dwarves has two goods and both are capped, so both are generated by PPs. There are no guest race goods you have to make. But that is not true for the rest of the chapters.

GlamDoll

Sure, hardcore forum junkies will do fine, but I believe that the average casual player who learns to rely on PPs in the early game will eventually struggle more than if they had less access to them and will be more likely to quit in frustration.
IDK Soggy, I am still having a go with divine seeds & I have been hardcore forum junkie for a hot minute now, otherwise, spot on :)

There are no guest race goods you have to make. But that is not true for the rest of the chapters.
And that's where the real 'fun' begins.

Iyapo1

Dwarves has two goods and both are capped, so both are generated by PPs. There are no guest race goods you have to make. But that is not true for the rest of the chapters.
I am not sure I would frame this the way you did.
the very first guest race chapter sets a bad precedent.

Dwarves is a players intro to guest races. It is simple and easy. With PPs it is also tiny and fast. Each guest race after this gets a little more complicated with or without PP use. PP use just saves time and/or space.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
But it's not meant to be that way. Each guest race has a unique flavour and attitude to teach us. If you don't build the tech, roll up your sleeves and shovel some sh1t, spend some time with each one figuring out the theme, the essence of each one, you're missing out.
Portal profits were developed so folks could move forward with the tough chapters, with the way the old quests used to be. If we were deep in orc or S&D, we couldn't research a tech or upgrade a building to 10, 12, 15, 18 either! And the metrics showed that. I used to save 2nd housing upgrade for that (and taught others my strategy) so of course Inno split up the research :rolleyes:
Now I think I would go slowly mad with chapter 15, but all the same there is a bunch of interim steps to take first. It only gets more intricate not less so come on folks don't take the shortcut learn what each race has to teach.