• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

High level chapters are literally TOO MUCH

Clusseau

Yes.. Crazywizard's Stash is impressive.. but its not a Goal.
its there to show problems can be solved.

I have maybe more than 2x that number of PP.. but I still fuss a bit!?!.
Its a Game... you see where you are.. see what you need... (=want).. and you play!

aerondor

The thing is, the best strategy changes a bit between chapters.
Some (*cough* chapter 16) require insane amounts of KP.
Other (*cough* chapter 15) vast amounts of sentient goods.
Some PP spells work better on than others.
While Chapter 17 took me a while, it was actually much better balanced than the earlier ones.
You didn't have sentient goods required at each bar in the research tree. The KP required was high, but achievable.
I did have to juggle a little between seed and Unurium production, but that was primarily because there is only one way at the moment to generate Unurium. I spent a bit of time giving some love to the AWs that provided me seeds, and then digging through my inventory for stored buildings that could give me more.
In the end it took me about four months to complete it. Given new chapters seem to appear every 6-8 months, that felt about right actually. They want people to be able to catch up. And also to give a small breathing space to those who have grinded there way to the top.

michmarc

I also think Portal Profits destroyed the game. They used to be incredibly rare and could be used to help in a pinch. Now, they are plentiful to where packrats like me and CrazyWizard have thousands of them. To me, using PP almost exclusively means bypassing the way chapters were designed to be played by letting you actually skip everything. What's the point of [for example] the entire Dwarves chapter if you don't have to build anything except the portal.

The "problem" though is that now that PPs are so common, new chapters are being designed with the assumption that you will use PPs for everything (Ch15/16) or designed to make PPs not work (Ch17). That last aspect is where the real negative impact of plentiful PPs comes into play.

[I'm doing Ch15 now -- without using Portal Proffits]

Iyapo1

I'm doing Ch15 now -- without using Portal Proffits
That's because you're a packrat.
they are plentiful to where packrats like me and CrazyWizard have thousands of them

Again, packrats. If you used them like candy every single chapter you would not have such a surplus.
How has this had any negative impact on your game and are you sincerely suggesting that future players should not be allowed to be packrats? That's cold.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Again, packrats. If you used them like candy every single chapter you would not have such a surplus.
Not true for any player who was advanced when PP were invented. You simply get more than you can use.
How has this had any negative impact on your game
As he said, now chapters are being designed and balanced under the assumption of PP which are kinda cheat-y and less strategic= less fun for some.
are you sincerely suggesting that future players should not be allowed to be packrats? That's cold.
Yes, for their own good. Taking away something overpowered isn't cold when it's for the health of the game and ultimately improves the experience.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
You simply get more than you can use.
^^This, absolutely this!
I've used PP's to the exclusion of building any guest race bldg I didn't need to since Ch8-Orcs in my now Ch15 city. Didn't care about the 'overage' when I needed a capped guest race good, just used them. As close to being 'like candy' as you could get. I skipped all the chapter quests once they got to: have xx number of [guest race bldg] until I reached the next chapter and declined any where I didn't care about the rewards even then. Here is what my inventory looks like today:
Note: Using 'Spoiler' to keep them from always taking up the whole page; using 2 pics because they are on 2 windows and I'm not good with pics and don't know how to get them all onto one:
PortalProfits1.png
PortalProfits2.png

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
If you get ZERO PPs from now until the end of chapter 15 and use PPs exclusively as soon as you are able to you'll only need your 5% ones, and you'll have plenty of those left over too.:oops:
And with going to the top of the Spire weekly, pretty safe bet that I'll continue to get PP's; I seem to attract them like a magnet does iron... Maybe it's the RNG, but this was an example of why 'using them like candy' doesn't put a dent in the real issue: getting more than you can use. It also supports the idea that it allows players to play in a way that was probably never intended.
Did you actually just say that?
Well, now he doesn't just have damp underwear, he's got his foot wedged firmly in his mouth :p
I don't think he meant that as condescending as it reads. More of a 'for the health of the game' as he went on to say. If he'd have just deleted that first sentence before hitting 'post' the point would have been the same...
Still, the point is reasonable. Is my way of playing what the devs really had in mind when they created PP's and then offered them so prolifically? I don't think so. I think overall the game would benefit from less PP's.
Still, I've learned to dislike the chapter quests and dislike cluttering up my city with guest race bldgs, so I'll probably carry on as I have been until they introduce a mechanic that stops me. And I really don't care if that makes me 'kinda cheat-y and less strategic':p For me, it's more fun this way.

Deleted User - 3932582

If you used them like candy every single chapter you would not have such a surplus.
That's not true. Here is my PP inventory levels over time:
1615160822168.png

Periods between markers are chapters 16 and 17. As you can see, for chapter 16 - even though I was using all PPs that I possibly could - I was still net positive on PPs at all times. For chapter 17 I did drop a little bit during the chapter, but I've already exceeded my previous high watermark since before the chapter 17.

Iyapo1

That's not true. Here is my PP inventory levels over time:
View attachment 9286
There is no timeline here. Did you use them in chapter 6-16 or did they get released while you were sitting at the end waiting on a new chapter doing nothing but racking them up?

They already took them out of the spire for players under chapter 6. New players wont have the same buildup that even I have.

The assertion that they ruined the game is faulty imo. You dont have to use them.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Did you actually just say that?
Yup, and I stand by it. They make the early-mid game too easy and I think that's a bad thing. Skipping entire chapters means skipping significant growth, lessons, and even basic knowledge of how to effectively design a city to make room for guest races.
Sure, hardcore forum junkies will do fine, but I believe that the average casual player who learns to rely on PPs in the early game will eventually struggle more than if they had less access to them and will be more likely to quit in frustration.
I don't think he meant that as condescending as it reads. More of a 'for the health of the game' as he went on to say.
indeed.
The assertion that they ruined the game is faulty imo.
Ruined is too strong a term, but in the amounts given, it might be fair to say that they made it worse.
You dont have to use them.
Again, the end chapters have been balanced around the assumptions that you will. So you only "don't have to use them" in the same sense that you don't have to do anything.

aerondor

For ch 17 I did most of it by hand. But early on (pre getting my portal to L4), I was more than happy to use a PP spell or two to stop me hitting a bottleneck. But I only use them at bottlenecks.

Generally I found I didn't need a lot, and since the portal hit level 4, I don't think I ever needed them.

Deleted User - 1178646

Ruined is too strong a term, but in the amounts given, it might be fair to say that they made it worse.
It speeds up the game,
I started a new account this week and they were serious about speeding up the first chhapters.
You get kp, timeboosters, 2x 50 diamonds 1x 100 diamonds, 700 t1, 1200 t1 and thats just chapter 1.

pp falls in that same range, people want "quick entertainment" so they have made the game "quicker" to appeal better at a new public.
This is fine, but it makes the wall at the end of it just hit harder.
If you are always used to quick quick quick, en then you end up in a swamp where it takes a decade to swamp trough it will be much more frustrating. I think part of the complains can be traced back to players who havent seen the "slow time". they decently got trough the first 5 chapters, then got accelerated by PP and now hit the big wall. while some of use played the game when it started and was already slowwwww. so while PP made it quicker for us we are used to be waiting between chapters. for many of us. it's part of the game and a game cycle.

Deleted User - 1178646

That's because you're a packrat.

How has this had any negative impact on your game and are you sincerely suggesting that future players should not be allowed to be packrats? That's cold.

I havent played a single chapter since it's introduction without using PP as much as I possibly could, I always ignored quest in favor or smaller settlements, and using PP instead as much as possible. the more the better as it made the chapter quicker done. when they were rare I crated every single PP in the academy I could afford, but when the spire hit, it just exploded.
It also doesnt help that each chapter get a little more anti PP build into it. so less opportunities