• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Hogwarts Houses

DeletedUser20951

I keep seeing Harry Potter references, and in order to slap my hands away from hijacking another thread to ramble on about it, shockingly good sense prevailed and it occurred to me to create this thread. Actually, I'm surprised there isn't a Harry Potter thread (I searched, but only used that specific keyword, so there might be).

I'm not sure if the house you belong to is akin to being diagnosed in the psychiatric field, where you can't determine your own status accurately, but I treat it as such, regardless. Personally, I feel I would be better suited in Hufflepuff, but every fricking single sorting I've done, whether the official Pottermore or the many stupid Buzzfeed quizzes (these idiot things are so addicting) on the subject, has always placed me in Slytherin. I do agree that I fit in with most of the descriptions of their supposed snakelike traits, yet there is a huge glaring flaw, in that I have basically no ambition whatsoever and don't care one whit about reputation and similar conventions.

Discussing your Hogwarts House is a suggestion, really, and any commentary related this fictional universe is welcome.

Ah, right, and my patronus is... AN EAGLE! *leaps at your shoulders* SPIN ME AROUND, NOW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alpha Lyrae

Oh, this thread makes me happy! I think I squeed out loud. :D Hell, my ringtone is the Harry Potter theme. ♥

From the Pottermore Site
Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
Patronus: Borzoi
Wand: Hawthorne wood with a Phoenix core feather

or the many stupid Buzzfeed quizzes (these idiot things are so addicting)
Why are these so addicting?! I mean... not that I would know or anything. whistles innocently

DeletedUser

The Pottermore Sorting Hat is based upon legitimate psychological tests, which is why it is so very important that participants respond honestly. Same with the Wand test and the Patronus test. You want the most accurate results for the most authentic experience possible.

But as Dumbledore told Professor Snape, "sometimes I think we sort too young." You're 11 years old when you go in. You're just a baby. You change as you grow, as you experience life. Often, who you go in as is not how you come out.

Severus was born a Slytherin. He died a Gryffindor. Peter Pettigrew was given an opportunity to live up to the potential the Sorting Hat saw in him, but the rotten little snot chose the coward's path, and got what he so richly deserved in the end. Sirius should have gone to Slytherin, but the Sorting Hat wisely placed him in Gryffindor for reasons I won't go into here. Harry was a Gryffindor through and through, going in and coming out.

As for myself...

I was a Beta tester for Pottermore. I got in to Beta on Day 5 of the Magic Quill Contest, and I can say honestly that the experience was eye-opening, to say the least. Now...I know my true self better than anyone. I know my demons, and I am quite comfortable with them. I've shaken hands with my inner darkness, and we are on frighteningly good terms. I know where I belong, but because the scope of the Sorting Hat's personality test is necessarily limited, my Home was not the House I expected it to be.

I was horrified, of course, to find myself placed in Hufflepuff. If it hadn't been 2 am when I began my journey, I would have screamed. It couldn't be...I am not one of these nice, helpful people. I can look you directly in the eye and tell you that I do not give one snot about you, and genuinely mean it. And then help you carry your stuff to the nearest shopping cart, because I can't stop myself (because that is how my Gryffindor mother and Hufflepuff father raised me to be).

Poor little Slytherin.

My sister, upon being told that I was Sorted to "The House That Tonks Built" (she didn't, I know, but in my heart that's the way it is), she looked at me and shrugged. This result did not surprise her, not one bit. My very Ravenclaw sister said, in her cool, analytical tone, "yes, you are," then proceeded to explain to me exactly why I was. Looking back on that day, an unbelievable eight years ago, I'll tell you that Sheldon Cooper's head would have exploded for lack of a counter argument. Over the next few years, with careful self-observation, I discovered that: A) badgers are not giant weasels, they are small wolverines and B) my beloved, super-psychologically adept sister was right. I was a Hufflepuff.

But people change, you know? Sometimes the experiences are so profound that the changes they cause actually force you to become a different person. Adapt or Die.

Obviously, I adapted. I left Pottermore some time ago for reasons I won't openly discuss. But out of curiosity, because Pottermore has changed a lot recently, I decided last month to go back and start anew.

Gryff.png

And my sister is not surprised. :p

But anyway...

NightshadeCS

Huh! I was a bit surprised, thinking I was a sure fire Ravenclaw. After taking the Pottermore quizzes...

House Gryffindor
Wolf Patronus
Fir Wood wand with a Unicorn core hair 13 1/4" and Hard flexibility

Though not a fanatic, I do love Harry Potter. I can't wait until my kids are a little bit older so we can enjoy reading the books and watching the movies. Narnia will always hold first place in my heart. :D:D

DeletedUser20951

Oh, this thread makes me happy! I think I squeed out loud.
*squees in a high pitched tone only audible to dogs* Glad happiness was made! And where have all the squees gone?! It was such a popular emotive for quite some time, but, alas, guess that's the way of language shifts, out with the old, in with the new slightly different terms. I resist letting sayings and words from back in the day die completely, but without encountering 'em often, I tend to forget them.
Why are these so addicting?! I mean... not that I would know or anything. whistles innocently
I DON'T KNO- Okay, I think I do. Usually, they tell me what I want to hear, what with the flattering results in most, and possess that delightful interactive quality of having you answer questions about yourself and/or what you believe. The randomness is also a draw. :D
The Pottermore Sorting Hat is based upon legitimate psychological tests, which is why it is so very important that participants respond honestly.
I respond honestly, but I believe there is much to be said about intentions, how you feel versus how you actually behave. If I get down into my inherent cynicism, though, I recognize that everybody can view their own qualities in a light to match the fairly broad descriptions of each house. I'll leave alone the vague unease I have at the concept of prodding children to conform to stereotypes. I will. *twitches*
But people change, you know? Sometimes the experiences are so profound that the changes they cause actually force you to become a different person. Adapt or Die.
ALWAYS. *clears throat* I mean, it is my belief that we are all in a constant state of flux and being changed by what we experience. Even trying to prevent change often precipitates it, instead, given how stubborn we are as a species, most significantly on the societal/cultural side of it, but also in smaller, personal ways.
Though not a fanatic, I do love Harry Potter.
Same here. I have never been obsessed, but I find the fandom highly entertaining, and immersing myself in this fictional setting has long been a welcome reprieve from reality at times.

DeletedUser23078

I wanted Slytherin but I was sorted Ravenclaw, which is... ok, I think, I probably be more Ravenclaw than a green dark cool snake. :rolleyes:
My patronus a mole. And I don't remember my wand because I just stopped at "I don't like a mole!".

DeletedUser20951

Middle-Earth much?
BOTH, of course. ;) It kind of balances out, my affection for these two, since I loathed the LotR's books and the Harry Potter movies, but adore the opposite mediums of each.
My patronus a mole. And I don't remember my wand because I just stopped at "I don't like a mole!".
O_O

...A mole? Are they trying to drive people off?! WE MUST HAVE AWESOME PATRONUS. No offense to moles, but I suspect very few would ever voluntarily chose such an animal as a representative.

I remembered that I was extremely pleased with my wand, but couldn't recall the details, and I had to figure out what credentials I used to create my Pottermore account (only created one to be sorted), which I wasn't in the mood to do last night. Got logged in, and, yes, yes I love my wand. My wand is perfect and I definitely think they got that right.
Wand.jpg
Some excerpts from the attribute descriptions: "highly suited to all manner of combative magic", "Frequently non-conformist, highly individual or comfortable with the status of outsider", "most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental", "rigidity denotes the degree of adaptability and willingness to change"... Dear Gods, YES. And it's pretty. That's cool, too.

Vergazi

Gryffindor

Ocicat

Cypress wood with a unicorn core, 13 1/2 in and surprisingly swishy flexibility

complete rubbish...

DeletedUser20951

complete rubbish...
Hey now, you might be swishy, and, uh, Gryffindor is a well-liked house, right? Ocicat... That's similar to a bobcat, I think? Those are cool. I have no idea what the cypress wood and unicorn core is supposed to mean, though.

...I am realizing how lucky I was in the results I received. I may not believe myself a Slytherin, but my favorite character is, and I'm fine with the placement, wand, and EAGLE. *screeches*

DeletedUser20951

Could you please clarify what you meant by this?
Take your pick of best definition, as I was only picking the word I liked the best out of the sentence. SWISHY. I am a swishy buckler! Wait.

DeletedUser

Wasn't easy, that's for sure. Had to use some of my finest vintage Romulan Ale...

Gath Of Baal

I don't know much about These books other then what my daughter rambled on about while we were standing in line in the middle of the night waiting for the Barnes & Noble to open up several years ago.. As we stood in line for hours and hours, I tired to pay attention to what she was telling me about the series but I just couldn't really get into it. One of the things I do remember her telling me, was that if I did put the hat on, I would be a Hufflepuff .. At the time I had no clue what that meant, but hey she seemed happy and it made her laugh, so it made me happy.. She joked me for weeks after words always calling me Hufflepuff, I think she just liked saying the word.

I start reading this thread and decide to take the sorting quiz a few hours ago, since I was bored, and answered all the questions truthfully , and HaHa she was wrong I got a 92% Slytherin -- 70% Griffindor -- 46% Ravenclaw and 22% Hufflepuff.. Now I am no math genius, but these % do not add up or make sense to me.. Is the % based off of how many answers went towards each house or what? but even then it still adds up to more then 100%