• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How much Adventure is too much?

NightshadeCS

Hello, all!

I am trying to maintain a good balance in my fellowship of excitement about Fellowship Adventures without killing ourselves for the mediocre prizes. We were a strong performer back in the early days of the FA, working our way up to a top 10 or top 20 finish.

Gradually, that became more difficult to maintain as groups strove harder and we took a peek outside of our rose-colored glasses. For the last several FAs, we have adopted the one and done methodology, grabbing a few extra waypoints along the way when they are easy to fill or because stragglers have dumped badges.

There are some strong voices in my group who dislike the FA and want only to do what we need to get the prizes. There is also at least one person who often asks if we could do more.

TL;DR, I am looking for specifics on the points gained for our fellowship per placement, and how many map points we would have to complete in order to raise our standing from the 90's to something that would give more points.

NightshadeCS

Thanks, @Crow Last Elf ! That is indeed helpful.

I would also welcome arguments for and against doing more or less in the FAs.

It looks like a group has to get above 50th place to get more ranking points than what you get if you are 51-100. I will have to crunch some numbers and see how many more points and waypoints that equals out to in current conditions.

EDIT: Am I remembering it wrong, or was there a time booster prize for more than just the top 20 fellowships? Anyone have data on changes to what was linked above?

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
The current pace of FAs is definitely too much. We have decided as a group to go on vacation this FA. We don’t do the FA for the prizes as most of us already have fully evolved whatever’s so it’s always a team building exercise. We are a Top 20 group that kept improving until we came in 2nd last FA. However, the gap between us and 1st is gigantic. They are basically in the Pit already from Day 1. Five days in the Pit already feels like 4 days too many. Six days in the Pit every month is a chore. I try to keep it entertaining so we have a new theme each FA bc I have to keep myself sane running the group’s spreadsheet, but humor can only go so far when you are asking everyone to keep throwing their resources into a giant bonfire every month for worthless prizes. We will pass the baton to @Nectar of the Gods and cheer them on from the sidelines this time as they make their run to chase down #1.

Crow Last Elf

I'm in a competitive fs where the degree of FA participation is voluntary and we regularly are top 3-5 on Hara. Our natural enthusiasm for playing the game has carried us this far. But along the way we have lost really strong players because they wanted to contribute, but the effort outweighed the rewards, and seemed a little senseless that we pushed ourselves so hard for each FA.

We were gradually building to be a 10 chest tourny fs and it could be argued that we put more effort into generating enthusiasm for FA participation than for tourny participation. We are currently a silver spire fs that is not pushing for gold, just encouraging people that want to climb higher to do so. If we were looking to encourage players to adjust their city, it probably should be to make the Spire easier, not to make sacrifices for better FA performance.

Even though I am part of the team that leads the FAs, it is probably the least important event to spend game resources on. We do have a lot of fun though, and the chit chat is elevated during FAs, so I think it does contribute to us coming together as a team. But if we had quotas, I'm sure we would have lost more team members and not have any rewards to justify the effort.

In the end, I would say listen to your fs and there is no harm in trying different level of commitment to FAs to see where your fs's balance is among all of the Elvenar events.

I like that players come to my fs and say they never really bothered with the FA before or had fun before playing it and find it more fun than stressful the way my fs plays it.

We went from a spreadsheet driven fs to an approach where guidance is given to let players know what is needed, but whether they make it or participate is up to them. And they never have to report inventory. I think reporting inventory and then feeling like you have to be there to place the inventory when the fs needs it is probably the most stressful part of the FAs and we avoid that.

Crow Last Elf

If one of your players wanted to push for a high FA finish and there is not general enthusiasm for it, have you considered letting them join another fs during the FA for the experience? I'd be worried they wouldn't come back, but I would have to have faith that they would want to come back.

crackie

I like that players come to my fs and say they never really bothered with the FA before or had fun before playing it and find it more fun than stressful the way my fs plays it.
Haha yeah, we had a new player say they’ve never done FA as a group activity before and it’s so much more fun.

For us, the jump from 5th to 2nd required one more day in the Pit. And now it looks like we need to be in the Pit from Day 1 to even compete for first, which means spending the entire FA in the Pit. That is a total fun killer. The Pit is pure monotony and just people begrudgingly yelling Arcane like they have Turrets.

Nectar of the Gods

We will pass the baton to @Nectar of the Gods and cheer them on from the sidelines this time as they make their run to chase down #1.
This is too funny. We decided as a FS to take it easy this time around. We will play and we will take the three stages, and if anyone is crazy enough to throw endless badges at the Pit of Despair, they are more than welcome to do so. But we won't be at #2. No one can catch #1 due to the set up of their cities. It really isn't even a goal. No. I suspect we will make the top 100 doing the stages and a few of the TriColors. But that's it. We need a rest so we are taking it.

Maybe it's because it is Spring? There are better activities at hand than going all out on another event.

Crow Last Elf

For us, the jump from 5th to 2nd required one more day in the Pit. And now it looks like we need to be in the Pit from Day 1 to even compete for first, which means spending the entire FA in the Pit. That is a total fun killer. The Pit is pure monotony and just people begrudgingly yelling Arcane like they have Turrets.

I can't imagine that long in the Pit. My fs likes the Pit because of activity in chat, but yeah, having one badge like arcane always being the speed bump is a drag.

Nectar of the Gods

@NightshadeCS As far as points for ranking in the FA goes, I would suggest you do all of the TriColor waypoints along with whatever path you choose to do. My FS is going Green all the way this time. There is a blue Tricolor on Stage 3, the one that is worth 1500 points, that requires 69 statues, 23 necklaces and 35 bracelets. Since we are not going for points this time, we are not doing it, nor any other waypoint on Stage 3 for that matter. You just have to go though the waypoint requirements and work out whether the waypoint costs you more in badges than the points it gives are worth. Have all your statues done by the start of the FA. We go for having as many blacksmiths and statues done as possible when the FA starts. There isn't any pressure doing this. If there are enough mfg left, I have people put on necklaces, too. I make sure we always have enough necklaces to complete stage 1 at the beginning of the FA. The longest builds collected at the beginning give you the easiest ride through the stages. I would suggest completing all waypoints on both Stage 1 and 2, then doing your main path and the TriColors on Stage 3. That should boost your ranking quite a bit.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Black Lotus for 11to 20
Memorial of Heroes for 4 to ? 10 I think
Great Monument of Prosperity... for 3rd
.Magnificent Triumphal Column for 2nd
Arch of Triumph for 1st.
I have a city with all 3, I'll check and let you know.

Last edited:

Alram

Flippers just flip
Get the artifacts to your FS as quickly as possible this time so they can convert them without spending diamonds flipping the MA recipes.

crackie

No one can catch #1 due to the set up of their cities.
Seriously, all hail PreciousPoopybum! I’ve visited some of their cities. Elvenstats revealed some have like 30 more plots than me at the same chapter! Imagine what 30 more plots get you in FA! And that’s ONE player. :eek: So I guess we’ll both be sipping piña coladas come Thursday. Cheers!

@NightshadeCS My other city is on the EN server and that FS is on the opposite FA intensity spectrum, where only half of the FS participates with any zeal, but we're still easily able to do all of Map 1 and 2. We finish one trail on Map 3 and then pluck multi-way checkpoints and whatnot, while delaying going to the Pit. That only gets us in the 90s though, so in end, FA standings are generally dueled out in the Pit.

crackie

If one of your players wanted to push for a high FA finish and there is not general enthusiasm for it, have you considered letting them join another fs during the FA for the experience? I'd be worried they wouldn't come back, but I would have to have faith that they would want to come back.
That would be funny if people here created like an FA foreign exchange program.

NightshadeCS

@Enevhar Aldarion , yes, thanks, I thought the same thing.

@Lelanya Maybe you were replying to something else above, but I got what I needed as far as what the prizes were. And it was more the number of ranking points in the places 10-100 that I didn't have locked down.

@crackie Thanks for all the input! We used to finish somewhere between 11th and 20th on purpose for the Black Lotus, but that was a while ago. Most of the people in my FS are beyond needing that building anymore, and the fact that Inno won't add any other prizes to the FA got most of us pretty disillusioned. We always complete at least one path in all three stages, though.

@Alram, thanks for that reminder! I'll have to see if anyone is needing to convert.

@Nectar of the Gods , good advice. We usually end up completing some extra waypoints anyway, and the multicolors are our go-to for the points (yes! except for that crazy one!).

crackie

Out of curiosity, what is the current FA high score on your servers right now? It's 27200 on Ceravyn (and the next team is only 16200). Fri @ 11:50pm EST

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I can't imagine that long in the Pit. My fs likes the Pit because of activity in chat, but yeah, having one badge like arcane always being the speed bump is a drag.
Absolutely. I've made 8 arcanes so far today and have already spent 7 (we need the last one so I guess I should cough it up, but I just want to hold onto it a while), and we're only on map 2. I'll probably make at least 40 arcanes before the end, and I DETEST crafting stuff I don't want, and throwing away 5 hour time instants to make more CCs just to have arcanes. In the past, I've always been gung ho about the FA, but Inno has dampened my enthusiasm by introducing that one badge. Everything else is doable, but arcanes make me want to throw up, literally. I don't know how much longer I'm going to want to do this. My fellowship got number 1 in the FA the last 2 times, and we're currently in 2nd place this time, but I may eventually just give up the thought of a number one trophy ... and the only reason I say that is ARCANES. Gosh, I get sick just thinking about them. Why did Inno have to be killjoys? I really, really loved the FA before! Yeah, I know I was weird, but honestly, this is too much. :(

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Out of curiosity, what is the current FA high score on your servers right now? It's 16800 on Ceravyn (and the next team is only 5300).
The currrent high score on Sinya is 11,500. We're in 2nd place with 8900.