• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How much factory space do you have?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Something that interests me in this game and is a key aspect is how much space do people zone for different things in their town(s). I am particularly interested in the zoning (space allocated for) factories.

I don't care how many factories you have and really don't want to know as it is irrelevant because it is not comparable between races, eras and different boosted goods. How many squares of space you have allocated is comparable.

Anyone willing to share some information about their town?
  1. How many squares of factory space does your town have? By good type - basic, crafted, magical? (tier 1,2,3)
  2. If not boosted only some distinction of space between boost/non-boost
  3. Town era
  4. Approx stock of goods? by good type?
  5. Workshops to sustain this, total workshops is fine, no need to count squares.
  6. Anything else you feel is relevant
    • Boost %
Yes 4 and 5 vary a lot depending on how often you play, negotiate, military, etc.

For me I have found that 40 squares of space for each tier seems to be the magic number (for me). This has held true from roughly era 3 through to era 9 (was surprised this hasn't increased). Boosted goods only and only 6-8 workshops to sustain. 6 workshops if using 1/3hr supply production during the day, had to switch to 8 workshops with longer production duration.

Have found I can negotiate/cater very easily as desired with an every increasing stash of goods. From comments from @Katwijk I suspect I have too many factories as I can't use that stock in a short time frame unless I went crazy on tournament catering to simply deplete my goods. Has anyone found a smaller footprint working successfully?

Note: There is no right or wrong answers, simply an exploration of different styles and strategies.

Edit: Added boost % into the list of suggested feedback as it was suggested.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3507

10 x 3 by 6= 180 spaces
4 magical , chapter 8 Orcs.
225k tier 1 (8 lvl 19} planks .for all 3 ( 8x2x5) 80
275k tier 2 (5 lvl 19) scrolls .for all 3 100 squares
265k tier 3 (5 lvl 15} magic dust for all 3
I balance them daily.
Tier 1 636%
Tier 2 610%
Tier 3 700% maxed

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3297

1. How many squares of factory space does your town have? By good type - basic, crafted, magical? (tier 1,2,3) Tier 1, 40 squares. (2 level 14 steel, 2 level 6 steel) Tier 2, 48 squares. (2 level 10 crystal, 4 level 4 crystal). Tier 3, 32 squares. (2 level 8 elixir)
  2. Boost only
  3. Dwarves
  4. Approx stock of goods? by good type? 45,000 of each tier 1. 20,000 of each tier 2. 10,000 of each tier 3.
  5. Workshops to sustain this 8 total workshops. (2 level 11, 2 level 10, 4 level 9)
  6. This is not a cookie cutter city. Nothing will ever be maxed out and no more of 4 of the same type of building will be at the same level. This has allowed me to have a total of 12 expansions for guest race stuff. Have 11 granite right now and currently upgrading everything to level 2. Going to add 8 copper and 3 more granite. Guest race buildings will be the only exception to my city design as they will be all maxed.
  7. Boost (453% steel) (348% crystal) (443% elixir)

Mykan

Oh Wise One
10 x 3 by 6= 180 spaces
4 magical , chapter 8 Orcs.
225k tier 1 (8 lvl 19} planks .for all 3
275k tier 2 (5 lvl 19) scrolls .for all 3
265k tier 3 (5 lvl 15} magic dust for all 3
I balance them daily.

Elve?
Tier 1 - 80 squares
Tier 2 - 100 squares
Tier 3 - 100 squares
Total = 280 squares

If human then
Tier 1 - 144 squares
Tier 2 - 64 squares
Tier 3 - 100 squares
Total = 308 squares

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
In my human town I have 3 steel(level 19) three scrolls(level 15) and 2 magic dust (level15). So that's 45 squares for tier 1, 36 for tier 2 and 40 for tier 3. I have 10 workshops. I am 4 tecs away from orcs and I think I am going to remove one scrolls once I have 2 of them upgraded to 19, but population for that is huge so havnt got that done yet. Also I have 10 workshops because I have 6 armories and do a lot of 3 hour productions, as I take a lot of my fellowships trades. So your magic number of 40 squares per tier sounds about right all through all chapters for a constant gain of goods!( I had more factories early on but removed some as they got upgraded but would say that the space was 40 pretty much all through)
I have 200k of all tier 1 and tier 3 and 150k of tier 2 goods as they haven't been able to be upgraded yet!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Mykan you should probably ask for average boost % too
How many squares of factory space does your town have? By good type - basic, crafted, magical? (tier 1,2,3)
90 T1
60 T2
40 T3
Chapter 7
8 workshops
670%+ boosts all around

600K tier 1
200K tier 2
100K tier 3

These are the same buildings that I have had since I unlocked tier 3 goods, so I had much smaller numbers in earlier eras.
5 planks
3 silk
2 Dust

I negotiate everything, including tournaments.
No premium expansions
Only clear the minimum # of provinces (maybe 3-4 more to get next expansio)

Last edited:

DeletedUser2191

Main city in Felyndral - Human, very early chapter 7

Tier 1 - 4 factories, 60 squares, level 18 - 19, 472% (used to be 5 but recently sold 1 factory)
Tier 2 - 4 factories, 48 squares, level 15 , 472% (potentially selling 1 when tier 2 upgrades are activated)
Ties 3 - 3 factories, 48 squares, level 15, 462% (to be determined, Chapter 8 still in distant future)

Inventory

Marble - 500k plus steel and planks 200k plus each
Crystal - 160k plus, scrolls and silk 195k plus each
Elixir - 70k plus, dust and gems 100k plus each

10 x level 17 workshops - 150 squares (possibly adding 1 to 2 more)

Baby city in Winyandor - Elven, late chapter 5

Tier 1 - 6 factories, 36 squares, level 15, 359%
Tier 2 - 4 factories, 48 squares, level14 - 15, 359%
Tier 3 - 3 factories, 48 squares, level 7, 359%

Inventory

Marble - 36k plus, steel and planks 22k plus each
Crystal - 50k plus, scrolls and silk 36k plus each
Gems - 48k plus, elixir and dust 34k plus each

8 x level 12 workshops - 96 squares (eventually adding 2 more)

Workshop totals is everything in each city not just those designated for factories only, over conquered in both cities so fighting is now negotiating.

DeletedUser3696

Elixir - 12x5 = 60 spaces
Crystal - 16x4 = 64 spaces
Steel - 12x5 = 60 spaces

All are boosted and in chapter 9.

2.1 million of tier 1
1.9 million of tier 2
1.9 million of tier 3
The above totals are for all 3 types from each tier as I try and have similar amount in each.

14 workshops easily sustain my normal activities, but the woodelves tech requires a ton and I'm starting to think I need more.

In general I hear a lot of players posting and suggesting you should have a lot more factories than I currently have, but I've done just fine by what I do have.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
@Mykan you should probably ask for average boost % too
happy if people post boost % too, I am sure more people than just me will find something useful from this. My experience has been boost % hasn't really impacted my factories needed, it does impact the level of goods of course but in all cases I seem to be increasing in goods.

I will try to post some specifics of my towns for better comparative purposes.

In general I hear a lot of players posting and suggesting you should have a lot more factories than I currently have, but I've done just fine by what I do have.

Thank you for the post I have a pretty good idea of 40 squares and the workshops needed so seen a 60 square factory town and the workshops needed with your surplus goods is great. It also gives a hint to changing scales of workshops v factories and surplus stock for the increased factories.

Also I have 10 workshops because I have 6 armories and do a lot of 3 hour productions, as I take a lot of my fellowships trades. So your magic number of 40 squares per tier sounds about right all through all chapters for a constant gain of goods!

I thought this was also a good comparison of variation in workshops due to armories and production times. Most towns I see have 2-4 armouries, my own are usually 2-3 although I am planning to put more armouries in one as an experiment.

Thank you to everyone who has (will) respond.

Last edited:

DeletedUser3297

My Elf city in Felyndral:

1. How many squares of factory space does your town have? By good type - basic, crafted, magical? (tier 1,2,3) 60 squares tier 1 (4 level 17 steel), 84 squares tier 2 (7 level 15 crystal) 60 squares tier 3 ( 2 level 11 elixir, 1 level 15 elixir)
  2. boost only
  3. Town era Dwarves
  4. Approx stock of goods? by good type? (150k tier 1, balanced) (200k to 350k tier 2) ( 120k - 500k tier 3)
  5. Workshops to sustain this, total workshops is fine, no need to count squares. 10 level 17 workshops
  6. Boost (592% steel) (575% crystal) (520% elixir)

DeletedUser2963

Elf/Dwarves

Tier 1: boost 443%, 70 allocated 12 not in use as 3 manufactories waiting on upgrades
Tier 2 :boost 453% 60 in use
Tier 3: boost 443% 60 in use

14 workshops
over 100k of each good stored as I keep them balanced, Tier 3 around 120k and growing faster than tier 1 or 2

Was planning on selling one of my gems, but after reading this I might just drop one of everything. That would let me reduce my workshops as well, those things are space hogs.

Thx for the thread @Mykan

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Era 2 Elf town
8 workshops
10 spaces tier 1
Only a couple thousand goods

Human town era 2
8 workshops
14 spaces tier 1
Only a couple thousand goods

Elf - Era 4(recently entered) (ignoring extra buildings for snow flurry quest)
9 workshops (1 is only level 8 rest are level 12)
Tier 1 - 42 squares, 314% boost
Tier 2 - 24 squares, 501% boost
Tier 3 - 24 squares, 453% boost

60K T1 goods
172K T2 goods
106K T3 goods

regularly cater tournaments, strong focus on tournaments meant an early increase in boost to t2 and t3 goods (t2 good was first tournament the day after I unlocked the tech). Due to focus on wonders and tournaments may not need the extra t2 and t3 factories. Once t1 factories get superior size I may increase to 60 squares due to tournament focus.

DeletedUser4778

Elven City in Winyandor

1. Factory Space and Production
Tier 1: 10 Lv15-16, 76 spaces, will upgrade all to Lv16 for a total of 100 spaces, may add 2 more for a total of 120 spaces, then will not be upgraded until Wood Elves, 501% Boost, average daily output of 26,133
Tier 2: 7 Lv8-11, 84 spaces, will not be upgraded until Fairies, 653% Boost, average daily output of 21,945
Tier 3: 4 Lv10, 80 spaces, will not be upgraded until Orcs, 433% Boost, average daily output of 16,500

2. Boosts Only (Marble, Silk, Gems)

3. Chapter VI Dwarves (111/130 Completed Provinces, +8 Scouted)

4. Approximate Stock of Goods:
Tier 1: 700,000+ total
Tier 2: 600,000+ total
Tier 3: almost 500,000 total
(my tier 1 goods normally drop a lot during a tourney and then recover in around 2 weeks)

5. Workshops: 10

OTHERS:
GUEST RACE BUILDINGS: 12 Granite Mines and 6 Copper Foundries
FACTORY ACTIVITY: Normally five to six 3-hour production runs and one 9-hour run for when I'm sleeping
MILITARY: Had 3 Armories but sold one after the nerfing of the sorceress's attack range. I also have only one AW, the Golden Abyss, and am interested in only two more which are the Mountain Halls and the Blooming Traders Guild.
POPULATION & CULTURE: Have usually a little more than needed to get me through necessary upgrades which is currently marble. I normally go through a culture & population crisis halfway through a chapter.
CITY FOCUS: Goods Production, especially Tier 1. I upgrade factories before anything else that's not absolutely necessary. The Flurry event has made me delay marble upgrades until I'm done with the 50 relics quest. I calculated my system so output can cover research and construction costs, heavily participate in boosted goods tourneys, and lightly participate in two additional tourneys (normally those with the relics I need for Power of Provision or Magical Manufacturing).
TOURNAMENTS: Cater the first 5 provinces and manually fight the rest (Provinces 6-8, 6-10, 6-12, or 6-15 depending on tier boost). I always favor the marble tourney over gems. I am very careful that I produce more Tier 1 than Tier 2 and more Tier 2 than Tier 3. Only once has this balance been upset when I far exceeded my expectations in the recent silk tourney.
SPELL USE: Very rarely. I like to save them for a rainy day. I've used them only twice and, when I did, it was a lot. The first was during my first boosted goods tourney around 2.5 months ago and that was before I knew about quest cycling. The second was when I was trying to enter Dwarves before the Halloween event ended which I sadly did not succeed at due to the lack of a tourney plus back research.
DIAMONDS: No premium expansions. The only diamonds spent were accidental and I have finally figured out how to not do so.

I only started playing in mid-August so I don't have a big stockpile of goods and, until recently, goods required a very delicate balance for me since I produced only a little over enough to fulfill upgrades, research, negotiations, and catering. I will ease up on the last two after the upcoming marble tourney is over and start building up my reserves. I was tech locked a number of times in the Summer Solstice when I'd just started playing because I kept getting KP -- it was awful when I got 50 KPs one after the other and didn't have the coins, supplies, AND goods to unlock research. I had no AW at the time and didn't know anything about them other than that they existed. I've been really focused on production since then.

NOTE: I'm not counting the low-level factories I currently have for the Flurry quest and the 1-3 Plank factories I usually have as road-enders.)

DeletedUser4778

I think when I added all of the costs up for fairies it was about 200K tier 3, so It looks like you're all set lol
Whew. That's good to know. It's just the negotiation costs then that I have to worry about. It was really a struggle for me to get enough goods until recently. I never had 100,000 of any good until this month. All the tourneys are finally making a return on my investment.

EDIT: @Lord Draconian: I am expecting my Tier 1 goods to decrease by around 500,000 and my Tier 2 goods by around 250,000 after this week and the next since it's the tourneys for my boosted goods. Possibly more as I'm not doing well in the gems tourney due to the nerfing of the sorceress' attack range which doesn't bode well for my performance in the marble tourney. I also made the mistake of preparing more treants than I should have and only just now realized I should have prepared twice the # of sorceresses to cover both gems and marble fighting needs.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
1. Factory Space and Production
Tier 1: 10 Lv15-16, 76 spaces, will upgrade all to Lv16 for a total of 100 spaces, may add 2 more for a total of 120 spaces, then will not be upgraded until Wood Elves, 501% Boost
Tier 2: 7 Lv8-11, 84 spaces, will not be upgraded until Fairies, 653% Boost
Tier 3: 4 Lv10, 80 spaces, will not be upgraded until Orcs, 433% Boost
lot during a tourney and then recover in around 2 weeks)

5. Workshops: 10

I am curious that people who have posted approx 60 squares per tier have used 14 workshops and you have only 10 workshops. The difference could be many things. Do you mind sharing do you build armies? Are you able to play actively, thus fast production times?

If you have a secret to your efficiency please share :rolleyes:

What occurs to me so far is I have more space used and less stock than about everybody, what''s that about? Is it because I've never really been stuck, or use more in tournaments? and why does everyone overstock so much instead of using it? Am I missing something?

I think tournament participation and with catering is a big part as there are only so many ways a person can use their goods and tournaments are a large sink. Negotiating can be also but not really if close to the province number to unlock the chests for each era. Another possible factor although less likely is a person has spent a longer time in an era, I have 1 town (haven't posted it yet) that I have intentionally stuck in a certain era so I could focus on tournaments/wonders.

With stockpiling there would be a level of the needs increasing and it depends on each persons comfort factor. Crossing 100K goods was a milestone for me when it happened, now I feel poor if I drop below it. But when you can spend goods on tech and catering in the 5-20K mark that 100K can vanish very quickly.

DeletedUser4778

I am curious that people who have posted approx 60 squares per tier have used 14 workshops and you have only 10 workshops. The difference could be many things. Do you mind sharing do you build armies? Are you able to play actively, thus fast production times?

If you have a secret to your efficiency please share

I added to my post after reading others since I realized I left out quite a lot of info. There are many factors contributing to it and, yes, quest cycling is one of them. However, take note that I only discovered quest cycling in Chapter IV and I had just as many factories then, albeit of a lower level. I was doing fine with coins, supplies, and goods then after the summer solstice tech locks and then my boosted goods tournament happened (the silk tournament before the last one so around 2.5 months ago) and that left me gasping but it also led me to experiment, expand my notes, expand my then-very-basic spreadsheet, discover quest maximization (which was what I called it at the time), discover Platinum Leaf (and quest cycling), and then these forums. Let me summarize what I think are the biggest factors:

1. Activity (normally 3 hours daily and then 9 hours for when I'm asleep; production is less during the weekends) so yes to more goods output.
2. Quest cycling. Much has been already said about this in other threads so I'll leave it at this.
3. Spreadsheets with detailed calculations and city planning (I don't use Elven Architect for city planning in the same way I don't use it for Battle Simulations) which maximize production, space, quests, etc. I know exactly how much I earn per hour from this many residences at this level, how many goods I will produce given these many factory runs, etc.
4. A city that focuses on goods and not culture, i.e. coins or supplies. I experimented with different ones and decided to focus on goods for many reasons, primarily because coins and supplies are much easier to acquire than goods.

One major factor:
I was stuck in Chapter IV quests (first Scout a Province, then Complete a Province or something like that, and similar stuff) when the new battle system hit because I found out about the negative effects of scouting so that quest was just sitting there for around a month which meant I earned more from secondary quests due to the frequency that I could do them. I finally hit Chapter V quests before the Flurry and, as I mentioned in another thread, I was right to expect lower income due to lower quest fulfillment frequency. I finally hit Chapter VI quests just now (thanks to finally fulfilling the 3 gem relics main quest) and quest rewards will be super low to the point that they can't even cover a quarter of goods production costs (will do calculations later -- distracted by my decimated sorceresses in this tourney) so I may have to sell a silk or gems factory so I can upgrade workshops which I did plan on doing anyway to make my city more self-sustaining. I plan to cut down on my activity and upgrade my workshops after the marble tourney since my boosts will be okay by then (and because I might start working in an office again).

Military: Yes, I'm always training troops (except for the time when I'm sleeping and the queue is empty due to the my lack of armories) and have to since, as you mentioned, hundreds of thousands of goods can disappear very quickly. Cater first 5 provinces and fight the rest is my formula. I normally only fight now when all the 3 tiers are demanded. I realized this in the last marble tourney and confirmed my theory that I could go farther with that method in the silk tourney. I've actually started negotiating in provinces again (the last time I did was before the new battle system) even though I'm within the Goldilocks zone since troop losses aren't worth it to me anymore ever since the nerfing of the attack range of the sorceress. So I've been saving up my troops for tourneys but will fight in provinces again once my tourney relics-boosting stages are over. I use up all or almost all my troops in tourneys and I only fight in tourneys when it's my boosted goods since I don't have the resources in terms of both goods and forces to handle more tourneys.

DeletedUser4778

@Draconomicon you mentioned that your focus is more on goods than culture. Do you ever get above 100%?
Very rarely. I had 170% in Chapter I and also in II, I think, before I realized goods and number of working population were the way to go. The last time I got 125% was in Chapter V when I was with my old FS. I left them for many reasons, the least of which was the lack of respect for my city header. I've had at least -8000 culture twice. The first was when I tore down all the Cyclones to make Temples of the Ages and then recently I did it with the Temples to make Gardens of Harmony. Also helps a lot to sell culture when I'm reorganizing my city.

Here's something I really wish I could have tried out if it weren't for the Flurry. My plan was to upgrade all residences to Lv17 and 10 Marble Manufactories to Lv16, then tear all my culture down and replace them with granite mines and copper foundries. I may still get to do it. Hehehe.

I've already confirmed that I will have enough KP from time, tourneys, and provinces to make it to Fairies before the Flurry ends but will not due to granite and copper requirements so I have to calculate if there's any way I can meet them. If there is, then I will forego normal building upgrades, sell my gardens, and focus on guest race buildings.