• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

How much Guest Race space do you have?

turfboss

this may not be the best place to ask this question but can't find any better - I just finished dwarves and have entered faries - looking at the fairy chapter I see no need to keep[ any of the dwarf buildings - am I correct that I can eliminate all of them or should I keep some parts for things I am unaware of??

DeletedUser1016

this may not be the best place to ask this question but can't find any better - I just finished dwarves and have entered faries - looking at the fairy chapter I see no need to keep[ any of the dwarf buildings - am I correct that I can eliminate all of them or should I keep some parts for things I am unaware of??
You can get rid of everything except the portal, which you only keep if you are interested in continuing the Story-Line quests, otherwise you can demo that as well. There will be a quest that requires you to get rid of the portal. Getting rid of all the visiting race settlements also presumes you are done with upgrading all your streets if that is something you want to do.

DeletedUser7370

Dwarves: finished layout http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/395fccc6d3c44a61b3cc6a5993a7432c/
The total devoted to dwarven buildings is 139 tiles.
Portal: L4 required 25 tiles
Granite 11 @ L4
Copper 5 @ L3

I planned well and carefully from the start, including numerous layouts as the portal upgraded. The space used was reserved right from the beginning of the chapter. I used a 30 KP per day rate for my planning, but as I progressed I found that a more accurate average for my rate is 37 KP per day. That difference lead to a week of being tech-locked at the end. Planning: 7 (I would say 8, but my error makes it a 7)

I have a high tolerance for being tech-locked as upgrading my wonders have solid long term benefits. Tech-lock tolerance: 9

Additionally the summer event, "March of the Herds", was occurring as I progressed through this chapter. The event caused me to accelerate some province encounters and increase tournament activity which progressed me through some researches sooner than I had planned. Rewards of knowledge points from opening chests in the event went to wonders and did not affect my progress.

I had originally planned to have 10 granite and 6 copper, but as I ran the calculations early in the chapter I found that 6 copper was more than needed and 10 granite was not enough. I did have 6 @ L1 copper for a time, but sold that sixth and rearranged to accommodate an additional granite. My calculations had indicated that the granite mines would need to go to L4, but copper foundries could stay at L2. Perhaps if I had kept 6 that would have been true for the foundries, but later calculations figured I would be tech-locked for about 11 days if I did not upgrade the copper foundries. The total time to recover the costs for the upgrades for all 5 to L3 was only 1.5 days and my production calculations indicated the 5 L3 foundries would be adequate to avoid further tech-lock; so that was clearly the better choice.

I should note here that I am a highly active player able to consistently run 6 productions at 3 hours each day. Knowing your own play style and capabilities is key to properly calculating how fast you will progress through the chapter, and therefore your production needs.

In the end it was the granite that lagged behind and still pinned me with over a week of being tech-locked. I might have been able to avoid that time if I had aimed straight for the granite research, but I needed the residence research to begin shifting my layout so I could ensure space for the event. Again the event pushed me to gain many KP that I could have delayed until much better timing in the chapter. Upgrades are very important in the dwarven chapter.

In my opinion, and with all the supporting math I have done, the correct formula is to build granite mines beyond your plans using all possible space. Upgrade all the granite mines you plan to keep. Next upgrade the portal, then begin selling extra L1 granite mines and building copper foundries in the freed space. Upgrade all final granite mines and copper foundries, then upgrade the portal. Upgrade all granite mines and copper foundries, then upgrade the portal. Finally begin progressing on research. Being tech-locked earlier and intentionally saves a much longer period of unintentional tech-lock.

DeletedUser7370

@TedGrau have you considered using future expansions to "square up" you city? I find it gives you a lot more options as your buildings change size/shape.
There is no need. The shape is based on relevancy of certain materials. On the left I have population and that tends to need to grow faster than anything else. In the middle I have supplies and goods, the needs for them grew quickly but tapered off and now they grow at a very slow pace. On the right I have my military and wonders; the military started slow but has undergone a rapid expansion and wonders were later starters but will grow steadily.

Overall the city will square itself out as I add wonders. Forcing a specific shape does not provide any actual gain over fitting in all the stuff you want at the level you want in any other shape. As to the various changes in size and shape as the city develops I simply plan for them and move around all the little culture buildings, or time multiple upgrades so I can trash some of the old small culture to shift everything.

I know it confuses some people to not have everything all lined up neatly, but I have years of experience directing crews of people in many different jobs. You learn to recognize all the different speeds and share resources properly to cover when each group or person of a given speed will complete tasks. Space is a critical resource in this game, and that is what this topic is all about. My city shape matches an easy path to cognizance of the varying speed and space requirements of different portions of my city.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I suppose if you aren't concerned about getting an extra handful of settlement buildings to avoid techlock then it doesn't matter what shape you use. Personally I always chose zero techlock as a little side game I challenged myself with. Since the wonder changes though, it really doesn't matter as much as it once did.

DeletedUser7370

Personally I always chose zero techlock as a little side game I challenged myself with.
I have the same aim, but I don't get upset about failure. As long as the wonders I am leveling are kicking out maximum bonuses to others I don't care how many points I am dumping into them.

turfboss

Thanks to everyone for the info - I did get rid of the portal as well - will use the fairy streets next since they produce even more culture per square - and all that extra space now lets me restructure the city to get all the higher value cultures situated closer to the MH.

turfboss

OK - next question - what is the experience for day and night farms - I only have space (at this instant for two of each) with three more land units available very shortly - but how many of these farms are suggested for production ultimately??

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
OK - next question - what is the experience for day and night farms - I only have space (at this instant for two of each) with three more land units available very shortly - but how many of these farms are suggested for production ultimately??
The min recommended is
4 day
3 night
The max you can use is 5/5 because the portal only holds very little at a time.