• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I’m figgering on biggering and BIGGERING and BIGGERING and BIGGERING!

• Thread starter DeletedUser19458
  • Start date

DeletedUser19458

So, I realize this is something for the Suggestions forum, but I honestly feel like that is just a place to bury our gripes. So I'm posting here.

Anyways ... point of post: One of the things I first noticed in this game is when you get near the end, everyone has giant buildings. Their cities all look the same with just a whole bunch of 'noise' going on, the roof tops are the only thing visible, a giant row of houses, rows of workshops, rows of manu, and a corner sectioned off for AW's or culture district. Everyone is setup similar. They are so big you can't see the detail of each one never-mind trying to see if you have a road or open square nearby.

Thus, I think at some point we need a guest race visit from *drumroll* the Lilliputians! (google it).

They would miniaturize everything for us with shrink tech or something. Then we can go back to having little buildings that you can see, with nice open fields or playgrounds and school yards beside the residences, and more open areas like the early chapters where, my opinion, things look better. Lilliputians are just my excuse to give as smaller buildings :p

Some of the coolest cities I think are ones that have been around forever and have all sorts of unique event culture buildings, but game-wise they are still early in the game (so these people obviously don't care about playing to get to the end of the tech tree).

Also I don't mean smaller land space. Many event culture or specifically the campus are prime examples that things can take up many squares, look neat, and not be giant noisy blobs.

Anyways, just thinking out loud. Would be cool to see. Cause at some point we'll end up with 1 giant residence or something taking up all the squares lol.

Risen Malchiah

I had no idea what the title of this thread meant until I clicked on it.

There was a time when I attempted to make my cities look more artistic, but that's getting increasingly difficult. I'd love for the art for many buildings to be made slightly smaller so the outside edges had a yard, court area, sidewalk, plaza or some other design. It would help distinguish buildings a lot better and everything wouldn't look so jumbled together. It's just too inefficient to leave extra squares unfilled or to double up on roads.

DeletedUser20951

Their cities all look the same with just a whole bunch of 'noise' going on
I can't linger too long in the advanced cities, the uniform sameness drives my brain to attempting to send me into a berserker rage of NONCHALANT SMASH, and I randomize my cities' layout, at the expense of efficiency, to combat this trend. I am a big fan of less elaborate, opulent design, in general, and would like to see the creeping HUGENESS toned down a bit.

Crowella

I can understand why the developers decided to merge the human and elf storylines and research trees. Basically it reduces their workload by if not half (because some aspects were always shared, like enemies on the battlefield), then at least a substantial amount. And I guess if it allows them to continue development at a better pace, it's an advantage for players. But I play as an elf because I like the way elf cities look. If I wanted to look like a human, I'd invest in some of that orange makeup and file down my ears.

Vergazi

If they were to buff the rainbow unicorns some we could have vast herds of them roaming the plains like the mighty buffalo used to in North America...if only the critters popped out tier3 goods from their bums the way the Tavern o' Evil does all would be perfect. o_O ( but yah, big, clunky buildings are a bit much when there is a whole city of them wall-to-wall. )

Socrates28

One idea to help with visual design is limiting the pixil height of all buildings so that it would not only be possible to see what is behind them, it would allow us to appreciate what the visual artists have created. At times when I have the space I will pull buildings into the open and maximize its size so that I can appreciate it visuallly. Some of them are incrediably intricate and beautiful. Some well dones to the visiual artists are in order.

Risen Malchiah

One idea to help with visual design is limiting the pixil height of all buildings so that it would not only be possible to see what is behind them, it would allow us to appreciate what the visual artists have created.
There are a few instances though where the height of a building adds to its artistic value. Like this one:

FAcolumn.jpg

This just wouldn't look cool if it didn't tower above everything else. The challenge is placing it in such a way as to not block anything behind it. But if *everything* is big and clunky, it just becomes a mess.

You all want to know the horrors of big, obnoxious buildings? Go find a neighbor in chapter 14, Constructs, who has the portal and all 16 guest race buildings out. They are a pain to navigate around and make sure you have all of them producing something at the same time.
Haha yep. It took me a few weeks into the chapter to avoid misclicking the wrong building. I am so glad to be done with that chapter.

Socrates28

There are a few instances though where the height of a building adds to its artistic value. Like this one:

index.php
I certainly agree with its visual appeal, so perhaps I should amend my suggestion to something like no more than 50% (open for suggestions for better %) of the pixil map of building should be opaque. That might make for some interesting see-through structures. Just a thought.

DeletedUser8192

So, I realize this is something for the Suggestions forum, but I honestly feel like that is just a place to bury our gripes. So I'm posting here.

Anyways ... point of post: One of the things I first noticed in this game is when you get near the end, everyone has giant buildings. Their cities all look the same with just a whole bunch of 'noise' going on, the roof tops are the only thing visible, a giant row of houses, rows of workshops, rows of manu, and a corner sectioned off for AW's or culture district. Everyone is setup similar. They are so big you can't see the detail of each one never-mind trying to see if you have a road or open square nearby.

Thus, I think at some point we need a guest race visit from *drumroll* the Lilliputians! (google it).

They would miniaturize everything for us with shrink tech or something. Then we can go back to having little buildings that you can see, with nice open fields or playgrounds and school yards beside the residences, and more open areas like the early chapters where, my opinion, things look better. Lilliputians are just my excuse to give as smaller buildings :p

Some of the coolest cities I think are ones that have been around forever and have all sorts of unique event culture buildings, but game-wise they are still early in the game (so these people obviously don't care about playing to get to the end of the tech tree).

Also I don't mean smaller land space. Many event culture or specifically the campus are prime examples that things can take up many squares, look neat, and not be giant noisy blobs.

Anyways, just thinking out loud. Would be cool to see. Cause at some point we'll end up with 1 giant residence or something taking up all the squares lol.

I got rid of all my big houses, and when I am done with Halflings I am done..I might kep a few cool fields but other than that I will have only pretty stuff even if it outs me into negative population..*I currently have 60 or so pop due to evet.

DeletedUser20617

One idea to help with visual design is limiting the pixil height of all buildings so that it would not only be possible to see what is behind them, it would allow us to appreciate what the visual artists have created. At times when I have the space I will pull buildings into the open and maximize its size so that I can appreciate it visuallly. Some of them are incrediably intricate and beautiful. Some well dones to the visiual artists are in order.
Totally agree with you on this. Sometimes the earlier versions of the buildings are much more appealing.

DeletedUser19458

I got rid of all my big houses, and when I am done with Halflings I am done..I might kep a few cool fields but other than that I will have only pretty stuff even if it outs me into negative population..*I currently have 60 or so pop due to evet.
I actually really like this idea ... once I get to end of chapters maybe I'll mow down my city and rebuild it in visual manner that I like, rather than for sake of trying to complete research.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my city. Is it really necessary to place every summoning? I have visited my fellows in the FS and some of the cities are huge and difficult to navigate. I would like to spread things out and be more visual but at what cost? One of my neighbors has cleared the city of almost everything but the roads and the essentials. I am going to keep watching and see where it ends up.

DeletedUser23318

I've been trying to figure out what to do with my city. Is it really necessary to place every summoning? I have visited my fellows in the FS and some of the cities are huge and difficult to navigate. I would like to spread things out and be more visual but at what cost? One of my neighbors has cleared the city of almost everything but the roads and the essentials. I am going to keep watching and see where it ends up.

Do you have to place every summonable building? No, place the ones that cater to your play style. Does it provide non boosted goods? Are you short on those that it provides? Does it provide military benefits? Do you like to fight or cater? If catering is your preference then you may choose to not place building that give military benefits (Units ect.) Find what suits how you want to run your city and place those, or just stick to the basics and save some space to make things look a bit more ordered. It is really your choice.