• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I do not understand, help me out please

Myne

Oh Wise One
What is the purpose of making the entire fellowship ambassadors and/or mages? This makes no sense to me. Does anyone understand this and can explain it to me?

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
Ambassadors and mages are allowed to invite other players to become fellowship members, as well as accept applications. This can be a great help to the archmage.

Once I see a new member stay active, and they seem likely to remain with the game, I make them ambassadors. Should anyone become inactive they’re made fellows. During an FA all but mages are made fellows to help prevent an “oops” on pulling flags.

Last edited:

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Also, I think there is a point of no return. If you have already made most of the members of the FS a mage or ambassador then the few players who are still fellows might get upset. And to prevent this, some Archmages might just promote everyone.

I'm not saying I agree with this viewpoint or that I would run a fellowship in this manner. Just pointing out it exists. In the Fellowships I run, only long term and trusted members are mages or ambassadors.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
In the FS where I'm AM, we promote all Fellows to Ambassadors after 6 months (except for during FAs; everyone but the Mages are Fellows for that week!). This does 2 things: allows us to recognize players for their contributions and allows more players to invite/accept players which is a big help since recruiting is so hard. For us, AM/Mages are the leadership team.
There are loads of administrative tasks to accomplish. I am a firm believer that any 'requirements' that are not tracked and enforced are merely suggestions. Whatever requirements we have need to be tracked. We also have a FS Facebook page that needs to be maintained even though it's rarely used (it's a resource for folks who are having trouble getting into the game; also prior members who have stopped playing the game sometimes send 'hi there' notes over there). I don't do FB, so I need a Mage to handle that for us. Visits need to be tracked daily even with a less than daily requirement. Most of our members either don't know how to use a spreadsheet or don't want to enter their own data for FA tracking, so someone has to track badge inventory for those. Visiting the Forums, reading all the News Announcements and watching any videos to keep up with upcoming features/changes and sending out info to members needs to be done as well. People well-versed in the game mechanics need to be available to answer member questions when they get to something that's new to them. Inaccurate ideas about how things work are sometimes stated as facts and the Mage title helps lend credibility to them (nicely) challenging those assertions. While I'm pretty confident in my ability to steer the FS in a beneficial direction, it's helpful for me to have input into my decision-making from the Mages. It's only helpful if I'm confident they feel free to disagree with me, so I look for members who exhibit confidence in themselves and their approach to the game. I've found having 3 (extremely dedicated!) Mages is a good number to avoid having any one member of leadership overwhelmed.

Myne

Oh Wise One
ok, I get what yall are saying but honestly, how many in the fellowship do recruiting? I can see where assigning permanent tasks would be great, but that would be (in my mind) mage tasks. I guess I am looking at ambassadors as recruiters only. As far as the FA goes, I did the demotion thing for a while too. It's a pain. But I suppose I look at it that ambassadors and mages are promotions done for rewards for dedication and willingness to pitch in responsibly.
I keep seeing fellowships where all the members are ambassadors and mages and I just can't wrap my head around that the entire fellowship is that helpful.

Myne

Oh Wise One
Also, I think there is a point of no return. If you have already made most of the members of the FS a mage or ambassador then the few players who are still fellows might get upset. And to prevent this, some Archmages might just promote everyone.

I can see that happening

Henroo

Oh Wise One
In the FS where I'm AM, we promote all Fellows to Ambassadors after 6 months (except for during FAs; everyone but the Mages are Fellows for that week!).
Fellowship Adventures are 1 of the *BIG* reasons I keep mages and ambassadors restricted to experienced, trusted, long-term members of the FS. Have you ever come up with a plan for a FA, communicated that plan to the fellowship, and then had the entire plan disrupted because an overeager ambassador pulled the stage 1 or stage 2 flag early? I sure have! I will say I have never considered the approach you seem to be talking about, temporarily demoting your ambassadors to fellows for the week. I'll have to consider that.

Myne

Oh Wise One
Fellowship Adventures are 1 of the *BIG* reasons I keep mages and ambassadors restricted to experienced, trusted, long-term members of the FS. Have you ever come up with a plan for a FA, communicated that plan to the fellowship, and then had the entire plan disrupted because an overeager ambassador pulled the stage 1 or stage 2 flag early? I sure have! I will say I have never considered the approach you seem to be talking about, temporarily demoting your ambassadors to fellows for the week. I'll have to consider that.

I HAVE had that happen..several times. Ambassadors every time. I did end up making them mages or demoting them to fellows. If I take the time to clearly communicate my strategy and you can't be bothered to follow it...sorry you are a fellow. I currently have no ambassadors, and have not felt the lack in any way.

Myne

Oh Wise One
Being promoted makes some players feel special. My guess is that Archmages with Fellowships full of ambassadors or mages understand this but are not actually very impressed with or concerned with rank.

But how special can you feel if everyone else has the same priviledges??

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Being promoted makes some players feel special. My guess is that Archmages with Fellowships full of ambassadors or mages understand this but are not actually very impressed with or concerned with rank.

But how special can you feel if everyone else has the same priviledges??

I would say both are true. The game allows Archmages very few ways to reward players for doing well. Essentially if you are an AM and want to reward someone, you can promote them or you can drop points in an AW of theirs at your own expense. This is another reason I don't promote much: when I do promote somebody, I want it to mean something and be a recognition of long term contribution to the fellowship.

Huor

I remember when I was first promoted to mage and for my first FA as I mage I saw that everyone but the mages were dropped to fellow and I demoted myself because I didn't want to touch the dang thing. lol. I'm less paranoid these days, but I still keep my distance from that flag.

Myne

Oh Wise One
I remember when I was first promoted to mage and for my first FA as I mage I saw that everyone but the mages were dropped to fellow and I demoted myself because I didn't want to touch the dang thing. lol. I'm less paranoid these days, but I still keep my distance from that flag.

ha! I tell my folks not to even LOOK at it.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I don't disagree with your assessments Myne and Henroo. I actually agree with them!
I inherited this 5 year old FS less than a year ago. The former AM made anyone an Ambassador who asked; thankfully they didn't do the same with Mages! So, I had a FS with mostly Ambassadors, some who might have only been a member for a month or less! No, they're not much help with recruiting, but occasionally one of them will invite or recommend someone. The former AM also refused to demote everyone to Fellow for the FA, so yes, there were flags pulled when they shouldn't have been (and I have always been the FA Mage, so it would really p--- me off!). After a situation where we had reason to believe the person who pulled the flag did so on purpose, I dropped them to Fellow; the AM raised them back to Ambassador (not sure if they asked or she just did it; never could get that member to have a convo with anyone, so I have my doubts they asked). The next FA, I simply said that the opposition to making everyone Fellows was understandable, but if it happened again with the same member, one of the 2 of us was leaving the FS and the AM could choose which one that would be... Ta-da! Everyone but Mages were made Fellows for that FA and all the ones since then.
I'm actually pretty pleased with getting it to be 6 months of acceptable activity to be an Ambassador in less than a year of doing this, lol! Speaking of which, I need to go check on who might have been with us long enough to get the promotion to Ambassador...something else we need to track, but thank goodness for ElvenStats, lol!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Back in the day, before Inno added so many things that a Mage or Ambassador could screw up, promotions were given as rewards to good team members. So after several months, or a year or two, everyone would get promoted. So it used to be a promotion was as meaningless as a participation trophy.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Checking in to as another FA mage that demotes myself during FAs! I have my own FA spreadsheet (complete with shenanigans, of course) and click around the map A LOT to log things. I have accidentally clicked the flag trying to scroll and thankful I am only a fellow.

As an Archmage though, I have had the convo with a fellow who felt like there was no room to grow, as in get promoted bc I only promote people to mages if they are actually doing the extra legwork of running the fellowship, like run spreadsheets and recruiting. In a Gold FS full of overachievers, there isn’t as much of a distinction between one player and the next if they are all hauling ass in tourney and summiting the Spire. But there is a huge distinction between those willing to pound the pavement and help us recruit! It is absolutely the worst part of running a FS! As we have covered in the other thread, not so easy as to just post an ad in the forum and sit back waiting to collect new players. I have also played on FS where titles are an unbearable power thing to wear on their heads. They don’t actually learn the game or help the FS improve so I refuse to have a management team of players like that. In fact, I have even demoted friends who I have been playing with for awhile because real life is taking them away from their mage duties. They understood when they got promoted that their role is to help administer the fellowship. I’ve also have players that run away from the mage title bc they don’t want those responsibilities and just want to keep their head down playing. If a player has been with us long enough to acclimate to the culture to know who will fit, they can be ambassadors, which lets them recruit but I know most of them won’t exercise that role anyway so it’s optional if they help with recruiting.