• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I HATE HTML5!!!

Rocce Sqirl

I DON'T LIKE THIS NEW HTML5! Now every time I want to view someone else's city -- like when doing help rounds -- I have to wait for that damn time bar to fill. Yeah, it only takes about 3 seconds, but multiply that by 25-50 times or more doing neighborly help rounds and it becomes a major aggravation.

Also, when I am writing something in chat, when I tap the arrow keys when holding CTRL down the function of skipping along a word at a time no longer works. On the other hand there's a new feature of when I go back to the beginning of what I wrote it now automatically scrolls forward and I can't stop it to fix errors.

Vergazi

I DON'T LIKE THIS NEW HTML5! Now every time I want to view someone else's city -- like when doing help rounds -- I have to wait for that damn time bar to fill. Yeah, it only takes about 3 seconds, but multiply that by 25-50 times or more doing neighborly help rounds and it becomes a major aggravation.

Also, when I am writing something in chat, when I tap the arrow keys when holding CTRL down the function of skipping along a word at a time no longer works. On the other hand there's a new feature of when I go back to the beginning of what I wrote it now automatically scrolls forward and I can't stop it to fix errors.
Can you go into the settings and switch to Flash? I'm using that now and it works just fine as usual. I ignored the HTML5 pop-up it seemed like such a drag.

Rocce Sqirl

I did that. Even found the "allow" for Elvenar and trashcanned it. Restarted Chrome 2-3 times. It seems to have fixed the scrolling but not the time bar thing.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Just be aware that Adobe is discontinuing Flash completely in less than a year, and when that happens, all Flash stuff on the internet will start to go away as websites and companies switch over to HTML5, like Elvenar is doing. When that happens, the option to go between Flash and HTML5 will disappear and you will only be able to play the browser version using HTML5.

Rocce Sqirl

I'm aware, but at the moment the replacement seems a step backwards. When the replacement does not function as well, takes more time and more steps to accomplish the same operation, it is not an improvement. Maybe it's Adobe's issue, or maybe Inno isn't utilizing it well ... yet. But as soon as I whined about it I found I was part of a growing chorus.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I'm aware, but at the moment the replacement seems a step backwards. When the replacement does not function as well, takes more time and more steps to accomplish the same operation, it is not an improvement. Maybe it's Adobe's issue, or maybe Inno isn't utilizing it well ... yet. But as soon as I whined about it I found I was part of a growing chorus.

And yet, for me with my low-end computer, HTML5 works much better than Flash when using Chrome or Firefox. The Flash version would get very slow and sometimes even freeze up if I played too long and it would sometimes crash if I visited too many people in a row. HTML5 does not do any of that for me and I made the switch many months ago.

Deleted User - 3932582

And yet, for me with my low-end computer, HTML5 works much better than Flash when using Chrome or Firefox. The Flash version would get very slow and sometimes even freeze up if I played too long and it would sometimes crash if I visited too many people in a row. HTML5 does not do any of that for me and I made the switch many months ago.
Same here.

DeletedUser18011

Just be aware that Adobe is discontinuing Flash completely in less than a year, and when that happens, all Flash stuff on the internet will start to go away as websites and companies switch over to HTML5, like Elvenar is doing. When that happens, the option to go between Flash and HTML5 will disappear and you will only be able to play the browser version using HTML5.

My understanding is that it won't be the case. While Adobe is discontinuing Flash support and upgrades it won't disappear. It just won't be supported. So many platforms will continue to use it for quite some time. I know many people that ran on unsupported Windows OS long after it was officially deprecated. It's just that if you have any problems no one (from an official site) will help you with it.

That being said there will have to be a migration forward to something at some point, but I'm not worried about it in the short term.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
My understanding is that it won't be the case. While Adobe is discontinuing Flash support and upgrades it won't disappear. It just won't be supported. So many platforms will continue to use it for quite some time. I know many people that ran on unsupported Windows OS long after it was officially deprecated..
That's not really the case with Flash. Adobe isn't ditching flash because they want to, it's because the browser makers are refusing to run it any more.

Unless you are willing to use an older browser and OS, Dec 2020 is a hard line in the sand. By the end of this year, none of the major browsers will allow flash to run without jumping through hoops every time. At the moment, there will be a legacy version of Firefox that runs flash at least next year, but people will really have to want to use it. And Microsoft says that there will be no Flash running on Windows computers after Dec 2020. So only browsers that include their own flash (currently that is only Chrome, and they are dumping it sooner.)

Firefox, after Early 2020 you'll have to use the "extended release version" https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Plugins/Roadmap
Chrome, disabled by default after next month, not available at all after Dec 2020 in any version https://www.chromium.org/flash-roadmap
Windows: "removal of Flash from Windows entirely by the end of 2020" no more flash plugin in Windows, https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2017/07/25/flash-on-windows-timeline/#2mhkoChcyReVLo6c.97