• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I hit a trip wire

Gkyr

Chef
KK, so the oft repeated mantra is that the collection of Tourney and Spire liabilities (various expansions, various squad size increases, sum of AW levels and other things I forget) increases the cost of the T and S battles but not the difficulty of the battles. I have no argument with this dogma, which has been supported by various player researches.

However, I noticed Spire battles got more difficult for me last week (my only change was upgrading one AW one level, but after the Spire started) and now this week I am noticing that the Spire battles got even still more difficult for me - significantly so. Two weeks ago I was still able to top the Spire at my pleasure with no battle losses, as I had done for many months prior. Now I am being faced with contrary battles in Spire - you know, the kind where your strongest troops in the first battle become the weakest ones in the second, or third. Usually the challenge is diluted with some lower-threat enemy, but no more. Now every one of the 5 enemy squads turns my buff against me. So, this is not just a cost increase in the squad ratings, it is a new and definitely more challenging set-up on the part of the battle algorithm. In addition, units with the same initiative (Golem and Hellhounds at 7, and Banshees and Thornrose at 15) are increasingly being shifted toward the enemy moves. I am used to the Tourneys getting difficult for dust and gems, but the multiple battles that characterize the Spire are way more challenging than last times.

The thing is, I have increased my 'cost burden' by only 3 AW upgrades, no expansions. I am used to the difference in cost. Anyway, as mentioned, this is not referable to the cost factors - this seems to be something else. I completed chapter 14 (constructs) but did not yet enter chapter 15 (the ch. 14 quests are still undeclinable). The only big differences that I have undertaken have been to build the 1* Timewarp and to upgrade one Armory from 32 to 33. So I am thinking that somewhere are this position there are one or more 'trip wires' that have nothing to do with cost but considerably add to the battle difficulty. In Spire, specifically.

Is this anyone else's experience? Is there any discussion of difficulty triggers in contradistinction to the known cost triggers? I could see where formally entering ch. 15 could result in a harder treatment in Spire, but I did not yet do that.

Raccon

Since roughly 2 months ago I'm experiencing more vicious encounters, Mist walkers present in almost every encounter, usually more than one squad to ensure maximum first round damage. So I suspected the battle algoritm was changed as well, but every body said that's normal. That forced me getting into almost %99 manual fighting from %99 auto fighting.
A few weeks ago I had to do more auto fighting due to lack of time, my losess were so high I had to use lots of time boosters to train more troops. For instance I lost 10 squads of orc strategists in 3 encounters.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Squad sizes and everything else about the Spire and tournament are locked as soon as they start for the week, so nothing you change during the week will make any difference until the next Spire and tournament.

The Spire is also a lot more random in the enemy squad distribution versus the tournaments, so going from easy to extra hard from week to week is normal.

AW_Runeshard_ch13_2.png

Raccon

I feel your pain. What level is your Temple of the Toads?
I'm still in chapter 10. Although I've skipped many popular military AWs, the temple of the toads is deafinitly on my list. As a human player, the flimsy mortars need every boost they could get.

Gkyr

Chef
As a human player, the flimsy mortars need every boost they could get.
Oh. Human. I gave up on being a Human months (if not years) ago. RL, too.
I cannot advise humans with so little experience...still, ToT will benefit your OStrats but the Mortars, as you imply, are too mushy to make good use of the boosts, but wont hurt. Your barracks strengths seem to be in priests and paladins, so I would level up Dragon Alley, when possible, and also Heroes Forge. And Wise Golem will add to your priest supply. My 2 cents.

Hawk1911

B_woodelves_aw1_shards.png

I tend to agree with @Enevhar Aldarion , The Spire seems to have more random squad distribution. I'll have weeks where it is easy, then one week where it's extra hard. Ironically, Marble weeks are normally easy for me, but this week is killing off some troops becasue those contrary battle setups mentioned lol