• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ideal Trading Partners

Talaedraiia

@Katwick, It is very unusual for a new member to start pontificating on how people should run their cities. So out of curiosity, I looked you up on Elvenstats and was very surprised at what I discovered. Why do you think after four months and only seven chapters you know enough about this game to tell the members that have been playing for years how they should run their cities?

StarLoad

@Katwick, It is very unusual for a new member to start pontificating on how people should run their cities. So out of curiosity, I looked you up on Elvenstats and was very surprised at what I discovered. Why do you think after four months and only seven chapters you know enough about this game to tell the members that have been playing for years how they should run their cities?
Well he does claim to have been here before but lost the account?

Katwick

Cartographer
A moment of silence for my dead storage,
FB_IMG_1654132343440.jpg

Katwick

Cartographer

More to the point, InnoGames recently did a wonderful job of implementing World Map Moves, and we now have local neighborhoods that are very healthy. Many of the more experienced players developed their playing habits way back when Neighborhood Trading was pretty much useless, and I'm doing what I can to get folks to rethink their trading approach.

Katwick

Cartographer
Again you are telling me how to play my city your way and not my way.
InnoGames will be happy with however you play the game, so long as you buy a few diamonds, once in a while, so that they can continue to provide us with an impressive CityBuilder.

The recent improvements to the World Map dynamics are HUGE!!!! Dynamic Neighborhoods could be a huge plus for the game, and an active neighbor would be a prime candidate for your Fellowship.

Katwick

Cartographer
What if, due to unforseen circumstances, your play is interrupted for a few days, or worse a week.
Or what about misremembering what you needed for a particular tournament, and there's an encounter that you COULD HAVE overwhelmed with a dump truck load of goods.

BUT, what about all of that wasted manufacturing effort, that produced goods that are useless MOST of the time? Piles of extra goods may seem like a Safety Net for your city, but the reality is that you merely wasted your time manufacturing stuff that you can't use.

StarLoad

The recent improvements to the World Map dynamics are HUGE!!!! Dynamic Neighborhoods could be a huge plus for the game, and an active neighbor would be a prime candidate for your Fellowship.
My FS does not have an issue with trading, I clear all the trades 3-5 times a day, and many have very active neighborhoods.
Many of the more experienced players developed their playing habits way back when Neighborhood Trading was pretty much useless
I must have been very lucky to always have had good neighborhood traders.

You are jumping around from point to point
nnoGames will be happy with however you play the game, so long as you buy a few diamonds
That has nothing to do with you telling me how to play my game, Period.
the reality is that you merely wasted your time manufacturing stuff that you can't use
And how do you know I have no use for all that extra stuff? And as for wasted time, I already made that point and you seem to have just skipped over it.

I see no value in what you are trying to sell here, sorry.

Ed

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I liked the cartoon because I feel like it is actually a pretty accurate description of this discussion. Let's over-analyze a problem that may or may not exist and then reflect if it was really necessary. You're asking people if their overproduction is excessive and then trying to quantify it as if there's a correct numerical answer. There isn't because it's tied to an individual's sense of security, which is a feeling and not a number. For one person, sitting on 10 million goods give them a sense of insecurity and not enough so they need to continue to hoard (see also: Bezos). For another person in the exact same chapter, the same 10 million goods is plenty and they feel abundant. Both people's perspectives are equally valid. We may lean one way or another ourselves with our personal preferences, but to say the other person's perspective is invalid because it does not match ours will just lead to a circular conversation that spins in circles. Like @ed1960, I have enough goods to run FA shantytown mode for probably months and still be able to do full spire and a ton of tourney. Because does it really make a difference to me if I have 20 million T1s I'm not using, but only 10 million T2s I'm also not using? Do I really need to make millions of small incremental trades until the stacks are even or else I'm doing it wrong? Would I even notice any difference if it jumps to 23 million or drops to 18 million? For me, that answer is no. For you, that might be a dead storage issue that needs addressing. From your perspective, overproduction is a sign of inefficiency that needs fixing, but I think doing work to solve something that isn't a problem is just as inefficient. I think we are both correct!

BUT, what about all the that manufacturing effort, to produce goods that are useless MOST of the time? Piles of extra goods may seem like a Safety Net for your city, but the reality is that you merely wasted your time manufacturing stuff that you can't use.
I don't have a shortage of T1 goods and won't for awhile, but I will continue to have T1 factories out because silly bossy people from events and FA keep asking me to make stuff I don't need. But given the current state of my city, I'm probably the least qualified to talk about efficient use of real estate.

Deleted User - 849994935

I agree, this approach is a mistake. What if, due to unforseen circumstances, your play is interrupted for a few days, or worse a week. You want to be able to catch up or continue play without being stymied. With a cushion, you are golden, without it you are just stuck.
I think ur confusing "sufficient" with 'bare minimum'.
I can't speak for others but sufficient goods means enough to cover regular needs plus a healthy contingency cushion.

StarLoad

Excessive manufactured goods are merely an obvious example of a fundamental principle. If you have STUFF that you carry over, week after week, you should retune your city and techniques. The surest way to avoid DEAD STORAGE is to use routine, fairly small trades.

A lost opportunity is the "path not taken."

Boosts.png

Inventory.png
Trades.png
This is his version
I can't speak for others but sufficient goods means enough to cover regular needs plus a healthy contingency cushion.
What do you qualify that as?

Deleted User - 849994935

Lost Opportunities

Excessive manufactured goods are merely an obvious example of a fundamental principle. If you have STUFF that you carry over, week after week, you should retune your city and techniques. The surest way to avoid DEAD STORAGE is to use routine, fairly small trades.

A lost opportunity is the "path not taken."

View attachment 13261
View attachment 13262View attachment 13263

There is no detriment to "dead storage" in this game. In RL manufacturing where you pay for storage & staff to manage goods keeping your storage dynamic is critical. But, Elvenar is not RL. We don't pay for storage, it doesn't use realestate or pop.
Producing excessive goods can be a problem if you're building more manus than you need but you started this discussion pushing for increasing production in order to boost trades. Now u moved the goal posts to use 'dead storage' to justify your preferred play style.
And, ultimately, that's what this comes down to; you really enjoy the trading aspect of the game, most likely because it utilises your RL skills and that is awesome. Love the game you play ur way and let others love theirs.

Talaedraiia

More to the point, InnoGames recently did a wonderful job of implementing World Map Moves, and we now have local neighborhoods that are very healthy. Many of the more experienced players developed their playing habits way back when Neighborhood Trading was pretty much useless, and I'm doing what I can to get folks to rethink their trading approach.
Sorry, I didn’t know that and thank you for a very polite reply to my slightly snarky comment

Katwick

Cartographer
SIGNALING

You should clear all of your leftover, non-performing trades each day, preferably just before a Spire, Tournament, Event, or Province run, as pending trade offered goods are placed On Hold and are, therefore, not available for negotiations.

Examine your non-performing offers as you clear them, and then get pro-active about developing additional Ideal Trading Partners.
Screenshot_20220730-154307_Elvenar.jpg

After the run you can search for trades that will help balance your inventory, and then you can post a fresh cycle of trades for what you still need.

Because of the way the world map is structured, the two cities immediately above you to your left and right will only have one attractive boost; but other six cities will all have two attractive boosts.

You should obviously avoid cluttering up the trade list with additional large trades of the same type, and should delete non-performing trades, except that retaining (or reposting) a small offer of each type is just good business.

Surprisingly, posting a spread of trades is actually faster than window shopping. My boosts are Marble, Silk, & Gems:
  • Offer Marble, 90, done
    • Request Steel, done, confirm
    • Request Planks, done, confirm
    • Request Crystal, done confirm
    • Request Scrolls, done, confirm
    • Request Elixir, done, confirm
    • Request Magic Dust, done, confirm
  • Offer Silk, 60, done
    • Same six requests
  • Offer Gems, 40 done
    • Same six requests
  • If you have way too much of something that's selling, then you should offer additional spreads at
    • 900, 600, 400 unit cycles
    • or even selected
    • 9k, 6k, 4k unit cycles.
  • If you're short of something, then post it at 9, 6, 4 and hope that somebody will come to your rescue.
  • Either way you'll need to whistle up your Business Development persona.

Last edited:

quin629

There are other factors you may not have taken into consideration in general offers on the open trader (as opposed to pre-arranged swaps). For instance, the example you posted above is all of cross-tier trades, offering T3 for T2 and T1. As has been discussed on the Forums before, recent Event grand prize buildings (evolving or sets) have tended to skew towards T3, especially as applied to higher chapter cities. In many parts of many worlds that has led to a glut of T3 cross-tier offers. And some players - even those who generally pick up all neighbor trades because they enjoy being helpful - have drawn the line at accepting cross-tiers, especially T3 cross-tiers. Same-tier trades may be snapped up while cross-tiers languish. YMMV depending on your particular trade neighborhood, of course.

StarLoad

You should obviously avoid cluttering up the trade list with additional large trades of the same type, and should delete non-performing trades, except that retaining (or reposting) a small offer of each type is just good business.

Just so I understand you want all of us members to start spamming trades to reduce our "dead storage" by placing Hundreds of trades for every non-boosted goods. That will go over well with folks I am sure and since I have 10's of millions of goods that are "dead storage" I guess I will be posting Hundreds of trades per day who knows how many it will take.

Oh but wait if I post trades 1:1 wont that mean I will be increasing some of my good somewhere??

You have me totally confused as to what you expect players to do with "dead storage" because it has a value and even trading at a loss means I will be increasing the total amount of 1 at the expense of another.

Ed

Katwick

Cartographer
Just so I understand you want all of us members to start spamming trades to reduce our "dead storage" by placing Hundreds of trades for every non-boosted goods.
Nope, just a couple of rounds per day:
  • One routine round of 90, 60, 40
  • and maybe a 9, 6, 4 as a cry for help with the items that you simply can't sell
And for the excess items that you want to get rid of:
  • One round of 900, 600, 400
  • or even 9k, 6k, 4k

StarLoad

Nope, just a couple of rounds per day:
  • One routine round of 90, 60, 40
  • and maybe a 9, 6, 4 as a cry for help with the items that you simply can't sell
And for the excess items that you want to get rid of:
  • One round of 900, 600, 400
  • or even 9k, 6k, 4k
And for my "dead storage" I will make more than that every day from event bldgs. So your Idea only works if you need goods and are running at minimum levels of stored goods. So this would only apply to a small handful of players that are not in a supportive FS or going solo without trading partners and for cities that do not make enough goods to create a safety net of goods. Do I have that right now?

Ed

Katwick

Cartographer
So your Idea only works if you need goods and are running at minimum levels of stored goods.
Routine daily trading ALLOWS you to run with "Just-In-Time" inventory levels that will cover your anticipated weekly requirements, rather than "Just-In-Case" levels that you'll never actually use.

If your inventory levels are comfortable, and you don't have any scary lows nor ridiculous highs, then whatever you're doing is fine. A daily 90, 60, 40 round would simply stabilize the local market, especially for our newer players.

FB_IMG_1655268088429.jpg

Last edited: