• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ideal Trading Partners

DeletedUser22644

If piling Scolls a hundred feet high is your thing, then have at it, and if you're reasonably familiar with Trading Dynamics, that's great.

But don't you sometimes wonder if having piles and piles of unusable goods is an optimum strategy?
So you just think we should have empty tiles sitting there not being used?

And you call them unusable, I call then goods for use later in the game, Like when the tech requires the following

goods.png

So to make the goods needed for these techs I either need to have saved a lot of goods or have enough to trade. Your way means I would be stuck trying to make goods for weeks or burn a lot of instants and MM spells. I would rather not

Edited to add: And before you answer note that the goods needed for the Prior Chapter 15 is all sentient goods and Ch 14 is mostly Sentient goods and Ch 13 is about 60/40 Sentient to basic goods. So from Ch13 on you dont really "Need" your basic goods so in your logic you should stop making the "excess inventory" And how will that work for you now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
@Katwick, It is very unusual for a new member to start pontificating on how people should run their cities. So out of curiosity, I looked you up on Elvenstats and was very surprised at what I discovered. Why do you think after four months and only seven chapters you know enough about this game to tell the members that have been playing for years how they should run their cities?
Katwick/Katwjck is an old school player :), is the odd reference to them in my guides and the dates on those is ages ago.

InnoGame presumably introduced decaying goods to address the lack of storage costs.
From memory they said at some point it was to stop people stockpiling and rushing through chapters. Granted since then they have introduced multiple sources and reduced decay to make it possible to stockpile enough not to be a big deal.

But don't you sometimes wonder if having piles and piles of unusable goods is an optimum strategy?
I think optimum is the key, most people aren't looking for optimum. I know people complain about space but really there is plenty of it the further into the game you go. Most people fill up that extra space with more factories and I have seen lots of towns filling it up with evolving buildings. A town running at optimum would likely not need a great deal of space. I suspect a trade off for not being optimum is time. Rather than spend time getting to optimum most just overbuild to ensure lots of goods for whatever they want to do. Or to counter/cushion any curveballs that the devs throw at us.

StarLoad

@Mykan if you read just a little further in the thread you will see that I did apologize to him for my comment, when I discovered he had previously been a long time player
This is the internet and anyone can say things that May or May Not be true. I always carry a bag full of Salt with me o_O

Ed

DeletedUser22644

That thread is about wanting more teleport spells and has nothing to do with your comment to remove the "excess inventory producing bldgs" to free up space. You make suggestions to do something that creates another thing and have no clue what to do with that other thing.

Your advice is like being told to let your house burn to the ground before calling the fire department, so you can collect the insurance money fully, but you cant answer the question of where do you live now without a house?

Katwick

Cartographer
The REASON you use Teleport Spells is that you have a BETTER USE for the tiles.

You wanted examples, and the Teleport thread is FULL of examples.

DeletedUser22644

The REASON you use Teleport Spells is that you have a BETTER USE for the tiles.

You wanted examples, and the Teleport thread is FULL of examples.
Yes, I am aware of what teleport spells can be used for however, you are sidestepping the issue, and it is clear you only have the ability to see your point of view. When you offer a strategy to do a specific action and do not take the next logical steps of what next to do, you either do not know or care.

Alram

Flippers just flip
Posting trades, and using the notification log to keep track of your buyers, is a very effective technique, but:
  • How do you ADVERTISE?
  • How do you ENCOURAGE additional trades?
How do you advertise? I would say people can clearly see your offers in their trader. This would certainly encourage the people who are interested in your kind of trades to take them and the uninterested to just post their own.

Myne

Oh Wise One
You are a chapter 7 city in Khelonaar, do you play under another name? I hardly think that one chapter 7 city can qualify you for rigid judgement given there are so many different playing styles. There is NO one right way to play. Wouldn't be fun if there was.

ps. you almost sound like a college marketing major attempting to sell advertising.

Katwick

Cartographer
there are so many different playing styles. There is NO one right way to play. Wouldn't be fun if there was.
For our first seven years, neighborhoods were often slums with a lot of Goldmines, and there wasn't much we could do about it. See
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/map-related-issues.31475/

The recent implementation of city moves on the World Map is a very good reason for rethinking our interaction with our neighbors. The skillful use of this GREATLY IMPROVED capability is IMPORTANT for everybody, but especially so for experienced players who have fallen into the habit of sweeping through Neighborhood Visits without paying much attention.

I'm paying attention to two map related endeavors:
  1. Developing Ideal Trading Partners
  2. Fellowship Recruiting
As you can readily discern at Elvenstats.com, Fellowships have a lot of trouble balancing overall resources.
Screenshot_20220811-093714_Chrome.jpg

This example is from a well-managed Fellowship, and simply illustrates that that resource balancing isn't a slam dunk. You may want to review your own Fellowship on Elvenstats.com

The Elvenstats methodology, which is pretty solid, examines the actual buildings in the 25 Fellowship Member Cities and:
  • Assumes that the manufacturing buildings are maxed out for the city chapters and that they use a 9,3,9 cycle
  • Includes the effect of Ancient Wonders and the various event buildings
  • Factors in the effect of Culture and Boosts, to the extent that they are publicly available
  • Does NOT consider the various Instants and Enchantments
So we struggled along for 6 years with gimpy neighborhoods, but we don't need to do that anymore. Each weekend:
  • Inactive cities are moved to the fringe of the map, or archived
  • Isolated cities, that are active, are shifted into the newly available slots in active Neighborhoods
Spotting your new neighbors is actually quite easy:
  • A couple of hours before your visit timer resets, each Monday, sweep your Neighborhood and visit your new (no timer) neighbors
  • If they look interesting, check them out
Simply HAVING healthy neighbors has already improved our trading environment a lot, even if you're not particularly interested in trading, but there's now a wonderful new minigame for the optimizers.

If you're responsible for Fellowship Recruiting, or if your current Fellowship isn't a very good fit, look up your new neighbor on Elvenstats.com and scroll down to their Guild History at the bottom of the page:
  • If they've been jumping Fellowships every few months, don't waste your time
  • Otherwise, spend some time looking at their Boosts and Playing Style to see how you can most the most of your new opportunity

Last edited:

StarLoad

If you're responsible for FellowshipRecruiting, or if your current Fellowship isn't a very good fit, look up your new neighbor on Elvenstats.com and scroll down to their Guild History at the bottom of the page:
  • If they've been jumping Fellowships every few months, don't waste your time
  • Otherwise, spend some time looking at their Boosts and Playing Style to see how you can most the most of your new opportunity.
What makes you assume this is not the standard practice for most Fellowships?

More importantly, using T3 as a basis or example is fraught with errors as the glut of T3's is out of control. Meaning production values have little value.

You do bring up a good point about finding new neighbors in your area, however, I have found that the majority are already in a fellowship and I abhor poaching of players.

Ed

Katwick

Cartographer
When you offer a strategy to do a specific action and do not take the next logical steps of what next to do, you either do not know or care.
"What next to do" very much depends on your playing style. You may want:
  • More Armories for Fighting
  • More Production for Negotiating
  • Better Aesthetics
  • A Fussy city
  • An Autopilot city
  • An Event city, with a dozen level 1 Workshops
  • The list is long .....
I'm more interested in what we no longer need to do, now that we have healthy Neighborhoods.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
What makes you assume this is not the standard practice for most Fellowships?

More importantly, using T3 as a basis or example is fraught with errors as the glut of T3's is out of control. Meaning production values have little value.

You do bring up a good point about finding new neighbors in your area, however, I have found that the majority are already in a fellowship and I abhor poaching of players.

Ed

Maybe tier 2 should be made the standard and cross-tier from 1 to 3 and 3 to 1 should get coded out of the game and no longer be a valid choice. I don't know if that would solve the new tier 2 goods shortage, but it would not hurt.

And for your other point, yeah, if I am inviting someone already in a fellowship, I make sure it is one where the AM is long since gone inactive. Preferably the Mages too, because if it is just ambassadors and fellows active and sitting around, they may just have not gotten a good enough offer yet to switch fellowships.

DeletedUser22644

What next to do" very much depends on your playing style. You may want:
  • More Armories for Fighting
  • More Production for Negotiating
LOL Did you not say to get rid of the "excess inventory" and scale back our Production buildings, Now after getting all that free space you say
More Production for Negotiating
(Bolding for emphasis) Really you actually put that down and now I would have wasted any teleports to store them, just to bring them back?

I am flabbergasted...

Katwick

Cartographer

Ed
It's certainly admirable that you've been in the same Fellowship, in both worlds, and down right impressive that both Fellowships have a handful of entry level players.

From recent experience, when I was able to start playing again, new players still land on the Goldmine that's nearest the center.

While I don't have any useful data, I suspect that players who have been archived, but not yet deleted, are treated the same way.

I was in a marginal neighborhood for only a few active weeks before I was shifted to my present location

To the point, when you scan your Neighborhood, each Monday a few hours before your visitation timer expires, it's really easy to spot the players who have not yet joined a Fellowship.

Drop them simple note, "Do you intend to play solo, or will you be looking for a Fellowship once you've settled in? Either way, post some fair trades to help balance your boosted goods, and we'll make a point of noticing them. Welcome to the Neighborhood!"

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
I am flabbergasted...
If you take a look at any of the various analytical Elvenar fansites, including
you'll note that the required goods can vary quite drastically from Chapter to Chapter, so of course you'd want to adjust your city's production capacity. Or perhaps a new Fellowship member was recruited, and the additional capacity is no longer needed. Or maybe you just want to experiment with a different playing style for a while. Or you have more or less time to play. Whatever the case may be.

The essential notion is that you don't need more stuff than you can turn over in the next few weeks. Your City will be healthier if you do the right things at the right time.

Last edited: