• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ideal Trading Partners

StarLoad

It's certainly admirable that you've been in the same Fellowship, in both worlds, and right down impressive that both Fellowships have a handful of entry level players.
Put that down to two great Fellowship AM's @Dreamyn2 and @Iamaita

The essential notion is that you don't need more than you can turn over in the next few weeks. Your City will be healthier if you do the right stuff at the right time.
That may work up to a point but as already noted the Increased amounts in the higher chapters are not something you can recreate in a few weeks. and when the spread of Goods needed is across T1, T2, T3, S1, S2, and S3 you have no real ability to prioritize, I won't even go into Ascended goods levels.

Ed

Katwick

Cartographer
Then you're racing compared to me! I've been in Chapter 17 since late February and I have 7 techs more to go. The reason is, of course, that I wasn't willing to tear up half my city to devote to a guest race. I only have 3 or 4 small ships of each (the SMALL are still BIG!) 1 large ship of each and of course the three main ships. That's nowhere near enough to finish quickly, but it still takes up more than 400 squares of space and I begrudge giving that behemoth more. So I'll probably be here until October ... so that's 7 or 8 months for this chapter, and of course, I practically live here so I'm collecting the one-hour collections. I collect maybe 8x or more a day. I feel sorry for the people who can only be on once or twice a day.

In truth, the reason I have so little space is because I still cater half the time. If I fought all the time, I could get rid of a lot of my factories. But no, I don't wanna, lol. People often look at all my factories and say "Wow, you must have millions of goods!" Nope ... I don't. I have less than a million of several and I'm not up to two million on anything. They always tell me I should get rid of some factories. They don't know how I prefer to play in spire and tourney, and how little goods I actually have despite my many factories. So I guess I'll not worry about chapter progression and just keep playing as I choose. Watching paint dry is not the most fun, but I still enjoy everything else.
Here's a fascinating post from a player who has an enormous production base.

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
We now have healthy neighborhoods, and I'm all about finding and developing Ideal Trading Partners.
To me it is the other way round. Now we have healthy neighborhoods I don't need to worry about my trades anymore, as long as I put up two star SAME TIER trades then they are usually picked up quite fast. If I want to trade with a specific player then I need to ensure we are playing at the same time, or someone else will most likely pick up the trades. This is hard to do if we are not in the same fellowship - and why bother when my trades are picked up fast already?

From your posts I assume you are doing lots of cross tier trades too?
Surprisingly, posting a spread of trades is actually faster than window shopping. My boosts are Marble, Silk, & Gems:
  • Offer Marble, 90, done
    • Request Steel, done, confirm
    • Request Planks, done, confirm
    • Request Crystal, done confirm
    • Request Scrolls, done, confirm
    • Request Elixir, done, confirm
    • Request Magic Dust, done, vonfirm
  • Offer Silk, 60, done
    • Same six requests
  • Offer Gems, 40 done
    • Same six requests

Instead of trying to find ideal trading partners may I then suggest that you balance your production within each tier to your needs such that you don't need to do cross-tier trades? Then I think you will find your trades are picked up fast.

Katwick

Cartographer
To me it is the other way round. Now we have healthy neighborhoods I don't need to worry about my trades anymore,
Then I think you will find your trades are picked up fast.
Every day, just after my Tournament, Spire, Tech Tree, Upgrade, and Manufacturing efforts, I'll check to see if I need any of the available trades that others have posted, and then I'll follow up with:
  • a few 9000, 6000, 4000 trades to repair the remaining damage to my inventory
  • several 900, 600, 400 trades to tune my inventory
  • a full 90, 60, 40 spread, 18 trades in all, to both advertise my boosted goods and to provide bite sized trades for the smaller cities
  • a subsequent review of my notifications is an easy way to spot my active Ideal Trading Partners
  • if the routine trades aren't getting the job done, I'll post a few 9,6,4 trades as a plea for help, and then pay close attention to whomever picks them up and use messaging to develop an additional Ideal Trading Partner
The folks in my Neighborhood, and in my Fellowship, seem to anticipate my daily trades, and it's been months since any of my trades carried over into the next day.

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I probably missed it but how do you get to the 9,6,4 trades/ratio?

I am curious more from a production than trading avenue. People often say build x of every [boosted] factory but the game ratios just aren't equal and that's before thinking about event buildings.

Katwick

Cartographer
9:6:4 CROSS-TIER TWO STAR TRADES
The two-star cross-tier ratio is 1.5:1, and it's driven by the number of city tiles that are needed per unit of T1,T2,T3 goods, including the tiles that you'll need for:
  • The upgraded manufacturing building
  • Population tiles
  • Supply tiles
  • Secondary goods tiles
  • Etc
If you compare the number of tiles used by the T1,T2,T3 cities, or simply the number of Provinces required to enter each chapter, 1.5:1 is a surprisingly accurate cross-tier ratio.

A bit of 1.5:1 math gets us to:
  • 2.25:1.5:1 which is
  • 9:6:4 when you multiply by 4
  • 90:60:40 for bite-sized trades
  • 900:600:400 for tuning trades
  • 9000:6000:4000 if you're slammed
Posting a spread of trades is actually quite efficient; take a peek at https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/ideal-trading-partners.31347/post-261903

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
A bit of 1.5:1 math gets us to:
  • 2.25:1.5:1 which is
  • 9:6:4 when you multiply by 4
  • 90:60:40 for bite-sized trades
  • 900:600:400 for tuning trades
  • 9000:6000:4000 if you're slammed

If you are so good with this, then you should be just as good with reversing the trades in the other direction, offering 9000 marble and asking for 4000 gems, for example. But no, no one does that, they only do it in the bad direction by offering tier 3 for tier 1 or 2.

Katwick

Cartographer
If you are so good with this, then you should be just as good with reversing the trades in the other direction, offering 9000 marble and asking for 4000 gems, for example. But no, no one does that, they only do it in the bad direction by offering tier 3 for tier 1 or 2.
I post a full 90,60,40 spread of 18 trades every day, after my Spire, Tournement,, Event, Tech Tree, Building, and Upgrading activities, plus larger offers as needed to rebalance my inventory.
  • 90 boosted T1 for unboosted T1,T2,T3
  • 60 boosted T2 for unboosted T1,T2,T3
  • 40 boosted T3 for unboosted T1,T2,T3
They all sell, usually within a couple of hours, and the consequent Notification Log provides me with a nice list of active Ideal Trading Partners.

Katwick

Cartographer
There was a nasty surprise just before I did my neighborhood visits this Saturday Evening.
New Saturday City.PNG

There was a brand new city in my Neighborhood, on a Saturday Evening! It's certainly possible that I accidently skipped the city yesterday during my Neighborhood Visits, but I don't remember seeing this rather odd player name.
Brand New City.PNG

This is of concern primarily because the assumption has been that inactive cities were moved or archived ONLY on Sunday Evening (German time) and that active, isolated Cities were moved into the newly available locations within a few hours. This small new city is evidence to the contrary, although it's possible that they just lucked out and grabbed an open slot while everything was up in the air.

The move window may have always been No Active Tournament, to avoid the complications that would be associated with tracking which city has completed which sectors, but now it looks like a new city can jump the isolated, active city queue, rather than being moved in a few weeks later, once they have demonstrated that they will be active.

I could argue, from a Marketing point of view, that a new user will be more likely to stick around if they start our in an active neighborhood, so perhaps that's what's going on, or perhaps the programmers decided to simplify the World Move algorithm, now that very few active cities are stranded in bad areas.

Whatever the reason, isolated, active cities no longer seem to be favored over new users. If that's actually the case, then we'll end up with a more homogeneous World Map, which actually isn't all that bad as it will get new users off to a stronger start, and bring in a good location, to start with, eliminates the need to move their city a few weeks later.

I'd appreciate any related dynamics that you guys might have observed, so that we can develop a more accurate model of the City Move algorithm.

There was also an additional unexpected behavior on the PC version; the mobile version has always returned you to your own city.
  • Clicking the new city on the World Map took me to the new city, as expected
  • I expected that click on the World Map icon would take me to the NEW CITY'S small World Map. Not So!!
  • Rather, clicking on the World icon, while in the new city, took me to MY OWN map but the map was centered on the new city
Please keep your eyes peeled, as I'm positive that there was a city there yesterday, not a Goldmine.

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
No, cities that are small enough to just be deleted due to inactivity can be deleted any day of the week, because it is automatic and will happen three or four weeks after the last day of login. And as soon as one of them goes away, the next person to make a brand-new city will get that spot. The regular Monday stuff is only for cities that will not be auto-deleted.

Katwick

Cartographer
No, cities that are small enough to just be deleted due to inactivity can be deleted any day of the week, because it is automatic and will happen three or four weeks after the last day of login. And as soon as one of them goes away, the next person to make a brand-new city will get that spot. The regular Monday stuff is only for cities that will not be auto-deleted.
That's good news. It also occurred to me that it's possible that I accidently skipped visiting that city yesterday.

Katwick

Cartographer
No, cities that are small enough to just be deleted due to inactivity can be deleted any day of the week, because it is automatic and will happen three or four weeks after the last day of login.
I'm keeping an eye on one of the transient locations on my World Map. It seems that the mimimum dwell time has been reduced to one initial week without any further development, at least for very basic cities.

Last edited:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Katwick
The following links are to announcements about what we began to call The Great Migration in late fall of 2021. Automated city movement was not working as intended, and these measures were taken to repair that broken system.
Both announcements have a link to a 21 page discussion thread about these changes. Many of the details about how city movement occurs is buried within the posts, but like many threads on the forum, it's worth the read for anyone who wishes to truly understand how the system is/is not working.
City Movement
Update on City Movement

Katwick

Cartographer
City Relocation, and consequently Trading and Neighborhood Visits, are functioning smoothly now, and can be ignored by most players, although it's always fun to see the social consequences of any major change.

I'm forever interested in the technical details, and City Relocation on the World Map has a plethora of juicy detail.

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
I'm not sure that is exactly correct, @Katwick . City Relocation is a concern as is trading and neighborhood visits. The trading is NOT functioning smoothly, nor are neighborhood visits. I visit everyone and I get maybe 25 percent reciprocal visits. The trading neighbors I could count on are now not a part of my trader. So, no. it is not something that you can deem 'ignored' by most players just because they don't come here and say anything.