• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

If you were a font

defiantoneks

the entire Garamond family. such variety. swash caps! 140 weights! (ok maybe not that many). can be applied for just about any project.

FairyInBellbottoms

Shroom Aficionado
I'm a "Comic Sans" kinda girl. "One of those gals who loves to paint outside the lines"

Comic sans font artsy fartsy.jpg

What about you @muffy.

Yogi Dave

✋︎☠︎☝︎︎✋︎☠︎☝︎ ☞︎⚐︎☠︎❄︎︎ (Translation: WINGDING FONTS)

WingdingFont.png

⚐︎︎☞︎︎︎❄︎✋︎︎✌︎❄︎✋︎⚐︎☠︎ ☼︎︎☹︎☜︎︎✏︎

EDIT: Sadly, what I pasted here and what is being shown doesn't match the wingding font in the graphic. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

StarLoad

HMMM

You are Courier New!​

Your Result: Comic Sans
Your Result: Helvetica

You are a Serif font​

Apparently, I am all over the place.

Ed

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I'm a "Comic Sans" kinda girl. "One of those gals who loves to paint outside the lines"

What about you @muffy.
Good heavens, NOooOOOOoooOOoo! You're not painting far enough outside the lines! In fact, you're a Comic Sans Criminal. Even the Shenanigan Elves only use Comic Sans when it's for something they have no respect for.
index.php

A quick internet quiz says I'm boring Helvetica but @crackie has in the past accused me of being all about Webdings
It's not an accusation if I am not wrong.

I'm more suited for Arial, a cheap knock-off of the name brand, not formal enough to have serifs, on the straight and narrow, and blends in with everyone else with no personality to speak of.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Being rather blocked headed at times, I'm block letters. Big, fat, block letters. The sort of ones you have to insure people can see them at about a mile away. Painted with a big brush and rather sloppy too.

Like this one:
1676251781159.png

Only bigger, fatter and in red on a white background (do fonts come in colors? I mean is there a "Red Helvetica" as versus a "blue helvetica?") Just wondering

AJ

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
✋︎☠︎☝︎︎✋︎☠︎☝︎ ☞︎⚐︎☠︎❄︎︎ (Translation: WINGDING FONTS)

View attachment 14619
⚐︎︎☞︎︎︎❄︎✋︎︎✌︎❄︎✋︎⚐︎☠︎ ☼︎︎☹︎☜︎︎✏︎

EDIT: Sadly, what I pasted here and what is being shown doesn't match the wingding font in the graphic. C'est la vie.

Not surprised. What you have here is probably an ASCII (pronounced "ask-key") or Uni-code chart. How they work is basically the letters are not drawn individually but sent as a number. The chart is in the system and each number you send is looked up and whatever the chart says to do is done. The problem is the chart(s) are not universal and there are, literally, thousands of them. Each country has one or more and the ones for a particular country are designated what used to be called a "code page" The US code page was 047. All that meant is that the 256 characters allowed in the 8 bit ASCII version could be adjusted for the local needs. ASCII? I know you are just dying to ask for what it stands, so I'll save you some time and tell you here. It stands for "American Standard Code for Information Interchange" and it predates the PC revolution of the 1980's.

Now you may ask why they came up with such a system? Why not just send the instructions to turn on the pixels you wanted to turn on to shape the symbol you wanted? The answer has to do with the nature of graphics and text. In the old days before most of you were born computers didn't have graphics. The amount of information you need to tell a computer how to draw a single symbol is about fifty times more than sending a number and having the computer look it up in its built in chart. Since early PC's had all kinds of room -- a whopping 65,535 bytes in my first computer -- every bit counted. Communicating between computers at 300 bits per second (the "baud" rate of the first modems) meant a document of a few hundred words could take hours, and since we used POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) where the lines were 8k (voice only) quality, any interference would just destroy the accuracy of the transmission to the point you had to start over. So, to keep things simple it was text only from the beginning (even for Apple's) and ASCII was the thing. And even if you weren't transmitting, the amount of room you needed for the code to tell the system to draw a particular system would have meant constantly having to swap out those huge 160 kilobyte floppy discs since the internal memory of you "lighting fast" PC was way too small.

Now what about Unicode, you ask? My, aren't we full of questions. The thing is 256 characters, of which over half can't really be changed, didn't give anybody real graphics at all. DOS 5.0 had the first "graphical" interface built in, but it was all fancy ASCII coding and you had to actually want it loaded and specifically tell they system to do so. Few did. In any case, they decided they needed a larger ASCII code type thing and came up with unicode. It's a 16 bit thing and works pretty much like ASCII but more complicated. A lot more complicated.

So there you are. Are all your questions now answered? I thought so.

AJ