• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Illogical to lose culture when upgrading

DeletedUser3871

Maybe has been discussed before but I think it is illogical to lose culture points when upgrading a building. You upgrade to have a higher production, but are punished by losing culture points which affects the production rate. Surely upgrading shouldn't lose culture as your are in essence improving the city thereby improving the culture

DeletedUser594

The culture is a commodity that keeps your people happy and productive- like ice cream. The more people you add the more ice cream you need to keep them happy.

DeletedUser3871

The culture is a commodity that keeps your people happy and productive- like ice cream. The more people you add the more ice cream you need to keep them happy.

When you upgrade workshops or manufacturers you are not gaining more people, you are in fact making them more productive. If it takes 5 people to upgrade for example that is 5 more of the population working and being productive, instead of doing nothing, hence making the city even more culturally better. So still illogical to lose culture imo

DeletedUser594

You're making them work. If you want more out of them you need to give them more incentive.
I suppose the "work is it's own reward" philosophy may do for some.
s2glko.jpg
[/IMG]
s2glko.jpg

DeletedUser3575

You're not "losing" culture, you need to have a certain amount of culture before you can improve the city. That culture doesn't actually go away, you still have a total amount of culture that is equal to what you had before upgrading, you just don't have as much excess culture, which is what gives the bonus.

Think of it this way: hunter/gather societies didn't really work up their "culture", it wasn't until populations took root and started to create what we think of as "culture" that actual cities began to grow. All across history, the civilizations that increase their culture tend to thrive, but that culture is what creates some of the world's greatest innovations. You're not really "using up" culture, but you need to reach a certain amount of culture to be able to understand the innovations needed to upgrade. Anything extra is just a bonus - exactly as it is in the game.

DeletedUser3871

You're not "losing" culture, you need to have a certain amount of culture before you can improve the city. That culture doesn't actually go away, you still have a total amount of culture that is equal to what you had before upgrading, you just don't have as much excess culture, which is what gives the bonus.

Think of it this way: hunter/gather societies didn't really work up their "culture", it wasn't until populations took root and started to create what we think of as "culture" that actual cities began to grow. All across history, the civilizations that increase their culture tend to thrive, but that culture is what creates some of the world's greatest innovations. You're not really "using up" culture, but you need to reach a certain amount of culture to be able to understand the innovations needed to upgrade. Anything extra is just a bonus - exactly as it is in the game.

Well, when you lay it out like that. It all makes sense :rolleyes::D
I misunderstood the counter. When I hovered over it I then realised how it works.

DeletedUser3312

I liken it to a small town. they have few things to offer residents. as the town grows, they add streets, libraries, hospitals, parks, recreational facilities, etc etc. and more and more as the city grows.