• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I'm done with the lack of accountability

When you lose thousands of resources due to a bug, should there be a way to correct the game's error

• Yes

Votes: 29 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeletedUser3012

Multiple times now I have lost many many resources due to a bug in the system. There is no means for refunding or fixing this bug. For people who have spent time and in some cases money (diamonds, troops etc) it is unacceptable. Last night I lost all of my goods when an error presented itself. Support said that unfortunately they don't refund or provide resources back when they are lost due to errors. Unfortunately that means that I can't trust these folks and I am done playing.

DeletedUser

I don't blame you. There needs to be some sort of recourse when this happens, especially when some folks are paying for resources, either directly or indirectly.

DeletedUser594

I am not a programmer and may be way off on the reasoning but it would seem like a massive amount of data to keep for them to be able to look back at that sort of thing in a game with this many players and real time changes. I have lost some supply and just chalked it up. Its good to let them know so they can pass the bug info along- some get resolved quickly, some stick for a while, some pop back up after being quashed but most are an annoyance and not anything that will derail a city.
They are very good about issues with issues involving diamonds though and have been quick to get me refunds when there was a mistake.

DeletedUser61

I've been involved in Construction Management for years. Things are ALWAYS going to go crosswise on you, and you have to plan accordingly.

I don't expect perfection, allowing for contingencies is part of project management, nor am I very concerned about the folks who think it's fun to explore the bleeding edge.

But I'm VERY concerned about things that trip up the users who were just trying to enjoy themselves, rather than pushing the limits.
The game should be VERY well behaved for the folks in the middle.

DeletedUser

I AM a developer and the code that has been released right now should have never been released. Upgrade the Town Home? Lose all of your assets you made. Do a task and an internal exception kills the process and you lose what you were doing. The resources are just numbers in a database and they SHOULD have a tool so that when people report an issue they can either a) restore the account to the prior day -or- b) have a utility that provided x number of resources back to each player that reports the event happened to them. With all the exceptions this software is having it can only be called beta code. It sure the heck isn't production code.

DeletedUser2753

I have had problems and support has restored both diamonds and rune shards (contest round 17), they used logs and confirmed the errors, but I do not know if they have easily accessible tools for checking logs of goods and supplies activity . They should as you said be able to know what new code they have running with each update and be monitoring the process results. This is called TESTING, not production though.
I too have experience with software development being a Project Management Consultant, Development Team Lead and Application Architect for very large 3 tier client server development projects (multiple) for a fortune 500 company. This is beyond me. The beta server runs code for two weeks before release and then they still release identified bugs to production, Were is QA? I also agree any good development team and the DB Admin. would have multiple ways of tracking database changes. This is just a database with a flash client front end after all. Your right Dark. GRAWLS. They can hire me but @ 150/hour +expenses
Katwijk: I was also a Registered Architect in my first career and my projects were never plagued with cost or time overruns like software development due to bad analysis and design and project management.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3012

I just think when you have released code and, in some cases, people are spending real dollars to buy diamonds and other aids, to lose them with no recourse due to a bug in the system is wrong. I agree, it is a database and you should be able to restore to a point in time. Goods, diamonds, elixir, whatever, should be tracked with debits and credits and they should have a tool that can look erroneous transactions and balance it again. The fact that this has happened several times and the answer is always, we can't reimburse you for the lost goods (remember, these are virtual and they don't actually cost anything to produce or to give to a player).

DeletedUser2191

InnoGames reported a revenue of approximately 50 million euro in 2014. I think they can afford to fix the glitches and/or repay for lost player revenue....

Elvenar wasn't even around in 2014, beta server didn't start until late 2015. The revenue in 2014 would not have included Elvenar. As with many game hosting companies that offer multiple titles, their financial budgets will be divided by individual title and not necessarily equally proportioned. Elvenar being the newest title for InnoGames will likely have the smallest portion. Many new games go through numerous changes and updates in their early years which will consume a large portion of their budget. As a result, fixes for various things can possibly get overlooked.

DeletedUser3012

Elvenar wasn't even around in 2014, beta server didn't start until late 2015. The revenue in 2014 would not have included Elvenar. As with many game hosting companies that offer multiple titles, their financial budgets will be divided by individual title and not necessarily equally proportioned. Elvenar being the newest title for InnoGames will likely have the smallest portion. Many new games go through numerous changes and updates in their early years which will consume a large portion of their budget. As a result, fixes for various things can possibly get overlooked.
That's an accounting issue. Like I said it doesn't cost them real cash to re-fill an account with supplies, elixir and other goods lost due to a bug. It's not real cash out of their pocket. It's fair that when they make a mistake that affects players they should compensate.

DeletedUser

In 2015, Forge of Empires reached a revenue of 100 million euro. You're saying that a company with that kind of revenue shouldn't support their "smaller" or "newer" endeavours?

That's like saying that when GM created OnStar they didn't need to support it because it was a new feature.

DeletedUser

I've been involved in Construction Management for years. Things are ALWAYS going to go crosswise on you, and you have to plan accordingly.

I don't expect perfection, allowing for contingencies is part of project management, nor am I very concerned about the folks who think it's fun to explore the bleeding edge.

But I'm VERY concerned about things that trip up the users who were just trying to enjoy themselves, rather than pushing the limits.
The game should be VERY well behaved for the folks in the middle.

First, if you are involved in Construction Management 'for years' as you state you would understand that each time there is something that goes 'crosswise' then planning accordingly means the customer only pays for the issues or changes that were THERE fault. Otherwise it is on the company to eat the cost and make it right. I was in business for years for myself and never paid one cent for advertising. My business thrived on word of mouth and reputation only. If this is in fact your way of doing business then I would run as far and as fast away from your company as I could. There is NO 'bleeding edge when dealing with a customer base. The customer is always right period. At least if you wish to stay in business and have longevity with a good reputation. And your bit about folks in the middle? I guess that is because that is where you are at so of course you feel you need some sort of special favor right?

I AM a developer and the code that has been released right now should have never been released. Upgrade the Town Home? Lose all of your assets you made. Do a task and an internal exception kills the process and you lose what you were doing. The resources are just numbers in a database and they SHOULD have a tool so that when people report an issue they can either a) restore the account to the prior day -or- b) have a utility that provided x number of resources back to each player that reports the event happened to them. With all the exceptions this software is having it can only be called beta code. It sure the heck isn't production code.

I am sharing this link:
...because in it we go over an article that one of the developers of Elvenar wrote talking about his job and the background of those developing Elvenar. This is a very insightful article which will serve to enlighten everyone to the reason behind all of the errors and bugs in this game thus far. I happened on the article after one of the modorators shared it in another thread and became very interested in what it said. Almost ALL of the developers of this game have NO game development history. Sure they were IT professionals or carried some other computer science degrees. However, they are a muddled together group of 'gamers' who happened to land a job coding a game. They have no real clue what they are doing (according to this article) and each one of them jump around dipping their hand in each aspect of the development instead of having clear concise duties and responsibilities. They have no understanding of how to develop such a tool as to offer some sort of recourse for their bugs and glitches.
*Edited to include link to the article in reference : https://blog.innogames.com/game-design-the-universe-and-everything-#more-1112
I have had problems and support has restored both diamonds and rune shards (contest round 17), they used logs and confirmed the errors, but I do not know if they have easily accessible tools for checking logs of goods and supplies activity . They should as you said be able to know what new code they have running with each update and be monitoring the process results. This is called TESTING, not production though.

If you have had the awesome luck of receiving any kind of restored goods of any kind be it diamonds, rune shards or the like; count yourself lucky. Because you are the 1%.

I was also a Registered Architect in my first career and my projects were never plagued with cost or time overruns like software development due to bad analysis and design and project management.

Truly awesome! I would in fact do business with you because you are actually one of the wise 'good ones'

I just think when you have released code and, in some cases, people are spending real dollars to buy diamonds and other aids, to lose them with no recourse due to a bug in the system is wrong. I agree, it is a database and you should be able to restore to a point in time. Goods, diamonds, elixir, whatever, should be tracked with debits and credits and they should have a tool that can look erroneous transactions and balance it again. The fact that this has happened several times and the answer is always, we can't reimburse you for the lost goods (remember, these are virtual and they don't actually cost anything to produce or to give to a player).

I agree with you and stand in support of recouping our losses. I may take it a step further and say they should refund my money spent on diamonds over the course of the last year if they cannot give me any sort of compensation within the framework of the game itself. The standard 'dumming down' answer they provide us is lame at best.

InnoGames reported a revenue of approximately 50 million euro in 2014. I think they can afford to fix the glitches and/or repay for lost player revenue..

If they made 50 million in revenue and 100 million on 1 game (Forge of Empires) Why on earth can they not afford to hire a staff of actual game developers with some real experience? This blows my mind. Elvenar is a great game in concept. It is beautiful with a lot of great features. The current staff has taken it as far as THEY can go with their experience levels. It is time to readjust and reform to take it to the next level in order to maintain some sort of player and retention longevity.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Brilliantly put, Irishna. That video was VERY enlightening, and you are absolutely right. There's nothing that will deep 6 a company faster than openly treating its customers like they don't matter. Unless it's rank incompetence.

DeletedUser188

I am willing to bet inno games isn't going anywhere anytime soon
Complain all you want it wont matter it will fall on deaf ears especially if you keep calling the inno staff a bunch of incompetents
Do you honestly think that anyone with any pull in the company is going to agree with what you are saying or take anything you say seriously
I cant believe I actually started watching your lame video I only could listen to about 30 seconds
Then I went back to it and realized how much of a waste of time it really is to listen to
I mean all it is some one who is obviously upset at game and formed a generalized opinion based on one small article plus whatever made them upset at the game
Inno has 6 games running at the moment plus at least 1 that they shut down I have played 4 of them over the last 6 years
Their developers do have gaming experience and for you to assume they don't based off of one article is ridiculous
Elvenar isn't the only one that sells diamonds and it probably ranks last in diamond sales being their newest release
If you people hate the game and don't trust the developers why do you waste your time continuing to play