• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Improve Display of Coin and Supply Storage Popups

Improve Display of Coin and Supply Storage Popups

• IN FAVOR

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • NOT IN FAVOR

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yogi Dave

In the browser, when you hover over the population or culture you get these popups.
PopAndCult.png

Mobile has very similar ones.

When you hover over coin and supply storage you get these popups.
CoinAndHammerOld.png

Again, mobile is very similar

Wouldn't it be nicer to see this for coin and supply storage?
CoinAndHammerNew.png

It seems reasonable to use the same template as population and culture since they convey the same type of info. As it currently is I have found myself sometimes counting digits to compare the two numbers then doing a subtract to see if the space available in storage is enough for collection. This would reduce a bit of frustration for myself and I suspect others.

Pros:
  • Provides a consistent interface for showing similar information.
  • Adds a bit more useful data in a format that is easier to understood than the old format.
  • Keeps the player thinking about the game instead of doing a bit of arithmetic.
  • It does not detract or impact any other aspect of the game any more than it currently can.
  • Can prevent loss of coins due to overflowing storage when collecting from event buildings, Golden Abyss and residences.
  • Can prevent loss of supplies when collecting from workshops, event buildings or Ancient Wonders, or starting a scout when you have the Tome of Secrets.
Cons:
  • Any change causes some code or database change. This is no different, but given its similarity to the population and culture popups, not only in info, but in activation method, it seems the coding impact would be minimal and could even slightly reduce the code complexity.

Last edited:

NightshadeCS

While I very rarely need to know exactly how many coins/supplies I have, I agree whole-heartedly to this!! The few times I have had to do it, yes, the comparison is terrible, trying to match up the digits and see how much I am short of full capacity. This presentation would be infinitely better.

LisaMV

In the browser, when you hover over the population or culture you get these popups.
View attachment 7320
Mobile has very similar ones.

When you hover over coin and supply storage you get these popups.
View attachment 7321
Again, mobile is very similar

Wouldn't it be nicer to see this for coin and supply storage?
View attachment 7322

It seems reasonable to use the same template as population and culture since they convey the same type of info. As it currently is I have found myself sometimes counting digits to compare the two numbers then doing a subtract to see if the space available in storage is enough for collection. This would reduce a bit of frustration for myself and I suspect others.

Pros:
  • Provides a consistent interface for showing similar information.
  • Adds a bit more useful data in a format that is easier to understood than the old format.
  • Keeps the player thinking about the game instead of doing a bit of arithmetic.
  • It does not detract or impact any other aspect of the game any more than it currently can.
Cons:
  • Any change causes some code or database change. This is no different, but given its similarity to the population and culture popups, not only in info, but in activation method, it seems the coding impact would be minimal and could even slightly reduce the code complexity.
I agree 100% !!! (and very nice pic for the example)
Who does math that way anyway?
To provide maximum BrainStrain, do this! 463716479014/92746501948 => how is this even helpful!?
Sounds like a relatively easy fix.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
Perhaps summarize what Ashrem stated and add that to the pros as well...put things in a "game world" aspect if that makes sense.

Great format by the way :)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I think he's already covered it under "Adds a bit more useful data in a format that is easier to understood than the old format. " I was just giving specific examples of that.

Yogi Dave

I added to the Pros a couple of areas where we lose coins and supplies due to overflowing storage. I can't even begin to estimate how much in supplies I've lost due to starting a scout. At lease a bazillion hammers I'm sure. ;)

Rocce Sqirl

YES! I've had to do the arithmetic when, for example, in an Adventure, I have some of a Sack of Coins but don't know how much (how many Residences to click on) to fill it. Obviously the template that does he arithmetic already exists (Pop, culture), just apply it to coins and supplies.

Yogi Dave

Very nice. I'd also like commas when numbers get that big but I guess we can't have everything now can we? We'd get too spoiled.
There is a problem with adding commas. This is an international game and many countries use a period as the thousand separators. As such, it wasn't suggested here. Just keep it like the other two popups. Putting thousand separators in the numbers, even if a space is used, would probably be a much larger undertaking since numbers are displayed in so many places. It is good idea, but should be the subject of another thread. As for getting too spoiled, I like dry humor.

LisaMV

If they simply paid a bit of attention to the visual of the numbers lining up - such as using a monospace font, and one that the BOLD does not shift too much - it will be easy to see even without spaces/commas, etc.

In the top left example that you put up, the calculation is very clear to see at a glance; compare that to the top right, where at first glance the calculated amount at the bottom seems oddly smaller, due to the effect of using a bold font but dropping it down a point in size. I think the goal is to be able to glance quickly to get an idea of where things stand, rather than having to stop and spend time calculating every digit.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

@Xelenia I think this is ready for a poll.

All comments about it have been positive and the initial post has 11 likes. As @Ashrem said, it's not very sexy, but a basic improvement. As such, it hasn't and probably won't generate a lot of comments.

shimmerfly

A basic improvement shouldn't even need discussion but this is a good solid improvement.
I hope it is looked at. As my bother always says.. 'keep it simple stupid"...and he worked for NASA.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I really like this, such a simple but useful change. When I think about it the whole reason I check those storage areas is to see what space is left, which means maths every time in the current format.

The other benefit is it is much easier to read, as the storage capacity grows those numbers can start to blur into one long number. This change makes it very clear and easy to read.

Yogi Dave

This is just a post to keep the topic from moving to the 2nd page while voting is still active. :D Hmm, I thought it had a couple of days left, but see it is less than 1 day to go.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
this suggestion is more or less what i do in my head automatically when i check the coins or supplies. So its not a big deal to me. A very basic adjustment for quality of life/play. But i also see no negatives or downsides from this either. So if its as simple an adjsutment as one might think then it seems like a good idea.

Edit: The only time i really check those are before i collect something and im concerned that what im collecting might be more then what i can hold. So it makes sense.