• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Improving my playing experience by building a gaming PC, advice please?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 841850
  • Start date

Deleted User - 841850

I am sick and tired of the lagging response that I get from playing games like Elvenar and Minecraft on my laptop so I'm thinking of building a gaming PC.
I want to start on a bare bones, totally inexpensive, with room to grow, type of machine. I took A+ Certification, although that was around 1999 and I haven't worked in the field at all.However I have done things like adding cards and memory to my PC's and laptops so am not afraid to open up a machine (I actually opened up my first machine to add a sound card several years before I took the course, although I was so nervous about static shock that I had the entire bedroom floor covered in newspaper and hollered "stay out" at anyone who tried to open the door:!) I have also had a lot of experience helping co-workers with issues with their machines that didn't require tech to come down to discover that it was an easy fix, like "take your notes off of the keyboard and it will stop screaming for mercy"!I have begun reading a book called "Build your own PC on a Budget" by John Paul Mueller. Gaming PC's are one of the things that he guides you on and he mentions that I need an ATX motherboard but not what kind, I have seen some for less than $100 on newegg but am not sure if they are something that I could build on down the road. Also from re-using someone else's discarded PC I have a graveyard of machines, 9 of them ( found more in the attic, so now 13!) and 7 laptops that I can salvage from, I figured that I could use one of the cases, I've got a large one that originally had 4 IDE hard drives in it (I think it might have been used as a server) that I think would be great. From various machines I've pulled out 3 fans, I can't remove some of them (one of them is closed up in a black box that has 2 levers on it to get it open and 2 tiny things that might be Phillips, flat head , or hex screws but I've gone blind trying to figure it out and am afraid of stripping them if I keep trying"). I've also pulled batteries out of some of the machines (some of the machines had rust so I didn't want to take a chance, plus they were totally being a bear to get them out anyway) and I've got 3 heat sinks, while I'm not sure, but as they all seem to attach differently, it might be better to get new (also I've got 2 of them with thumbscrews which obligingly unscrew but will only go so far, so they can't even be removed!)).I have also thought about pulling power supplies out, but haven't gotten to that part yet and I also don't want to waste time taking ones out that would be underpowered although the server-like machine may have a good one for my needs).
So my question (s) is/are, what is a good inexpensive ATX to start with, are any of the parts that I've salvaged thus far usable, is there anything else that I should take out and should I bother to strip the other machines that I haven't gotten to yet. (I have also pulled out SATA and IDE cables, my thought is to toss the IDE's keeping only the SATA's, but I'm not that confident that I'm 100% correct, hence another question)).Also what’s the thought on using one of the power supply’s and if I could what should I look for in terms of appropriate power for the build? Sad to say not one of the motherboards is an ATX although that should not be a surprise, as aside from the server-like one, they were all pretty much, run of the mill home PC's..
btw-some of the PC’s were so old that they still had 3.5 in floppy drives, so not worth it (I think)
Also I am sending pix of the case I'd like to use, is it a viable choice? (btw the machine has 2 onboard fans!)

Wasn't sure whether this was for questions or discussion, hopefully, I've made the right choice, if not please let me know for future reference.
Thanks.

kctanzen

Spend as much as you can stomach for the best available video card and also stuff as much RAM into it that the motherboard / operating system can support.
Can save money by getting a slower processor if the video / RAM are top flight.

Processor generally obsoletes the fastest and the latest and greatest is typically not a good price / value benefit, unless you are needing to do a lot of video editing / multiple applications running at the dame time.

Deleted User - 841850

Great, thanks for the info, that really simplified things. It's gotten to the point that I tend to get on the game at work because the PC and the server that it's connected to enable me to play with reasonable responsiveness. However at home or anywhere that I'm just using my laptop play is always laggy because of slow loading. I'm always waiting for things to process, like waiting for a new screen to open or the lag in time to move around the screen, which becomes really frustrating when stuff gets collected because of that. I've added the max memory (8 GB) to my laptop and that sped things up somewhat but it's still not great and playing becomes a chore, which games are not supposed to be (I think that they are supposed to be fun?). I felt that a PC would be better for play at home so decided to build one for gaming, plus while I make sure that the game does not interfere with work i.e. on a break or a quick look during a lull, I'm not really happy about playing it there and can't really pay attention to it like I want to.So here I go, hope to soon be having gaming fun at home, thanks again.

DeletedUser12171

How I decide on any tech purchase is, first set a budget then get the best I can get for that price. Googling "best processor 2018" or the likes should get you some useful info to start off with, including things like price and tech capabilities, and then you get out there and talk to retailers. Be sure about the budget and tech requirements because otherwise you might just get talked into spending more than you need to.

Deleted User - 841850

Got it, thanks for the advice. While I built a computer in the A+ course I've never done so on my own and you've given ms some helpful pointers on how to begin this project.