• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Is gold spire the new 10 chest?

Kekune

But have you ever bought anything else offered in the game that was not diamonds, to show the devs you enjoy the game and that their hard work deserves at least a little compensation?
My main account is fully free. I have a smaller city that has spent a small amount of money. But I agree with @Iyapo1 , above... spending on a game like this is neither right nor wrong. Nobody should be criticized for either decision.

Aritra

But have you ever bought anything else offered in the game that was not diamonds, to show the devs you enjoy the game and that their hard work deserves at least a little compensation?
I would be surprised to learn that devs feel appreciated by a sale. Maybe I'm projecting and wrong, but if I were them, I would never have seen sales as signs of appreciation. Sales are people wanting more stuff (and signs that their enticements were successful). I'd think number of participants is a more accurate sign of appreciation, because so many are playing it. And how do you know the devs even get anything extra from sales? (or do you?) I see it like tipping your server because the cook made good food. There are other ways of expressing appreciation like message/email directly and not letting the forum become a roast-fest. If you really want to gift the devs, inquire (to whoever would actually know) how and where to send it.

Iyapo1

If you really want to gift the devs, inquire (to whoever would actually know) how and where to send it.
Oh dear god no. Stick with the nice email. No privacy laws violated, no tax code violations, and no employment contract breaches.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
People can have whatever beliefs or motivations they want, but if I had not been enjoying the game enough to spend a tiny $20 or so per year on it, I would have quit playing two or three years ago. No, I did not start spending money right away, but I eventually did. That $20 was worth a lot more here than the movie ticket or dinner it could have bought.

Aritra

Oh dear god no. Stick with the nice email. No privacy laws violated, no tax code violations, and no employment contract breaches.
I'm not talking stalker / hunt them down. I mean legit sources that would give out appropriate information (no violations) or nothing (leaving email option).

DeletedUser20010

I agree, A few months ago I left my long time fellowship full of people I really liked and think of as friends because they were not competitive enough for me, all my magic residences and workshops had fallen 3-4 chapters behind and hitting 10 chests every 5 weeks was not enough. So I joined a 10 chest weekly group and After catching up all my buildings I went back to my old fellowship and hit the tournament hard for several weeks in a row hoping that the rest would be inspired and join in, and it worked for about 4-5 weeks of 10 chests. Last week i got an offer to join a max chest fellowship + Gold Spire weekly and jumped ship again, when I left this time a few others decided to leave also, which has probably just destroyed that fellowship. I feel guilty as hell but 10 chests are an easy thing to achieve weekly as long as your group has any type of competitiveness.

The only way i would ever consider leaving the new fellowship now is max chests + Gold Spire + top 10 or better FA
Yeah, this is me this week. I have topped the spire for months, and many camp out at gates below. They are not interested in the gold. It's a great friendly group, and I am sad to go, but I want the benefits, lol.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
People can have whatever beliefs or motivations they want, but if I had not been enjoying the game enough to spend a tiny $20 or so per year on it, I would have quit playing two or three years ago. No, I did not start spending money right away, but I eventually did. That $20 was worth a lot more here than the movie ticket or dinner it could have bought.
You gave them money, and you got something in return. That's a transaction, and whatever emotions you attach to that are yours alone.
The [artists who made the building that you think is pretty] have no idea that they are the reason why you did it.

I enjoyed this game enough to pay maybe $20 per month for it, but that would be (to me) a game-breaking amount of diamonds. I would have never struggled to squeeze buildings into my city, I would have never have been happy with event prizes that were inferior to magic buildings or diamond culture. I wouldn't be happy with winning timers when diamonds have the same effect and so on.

Unless you become a whale who gives inno a few thousand dollars a year please stop rubbing your $20 purchase in peoples faces like you are some sort of saint.
The small purchases players make because they want something are just an added bonus to the bottom line. The value you provide by being a part of the game for the whales who actually fund it to enjoy far outstrips that paltry $20. That's the business model in F2P games.

Last edited:

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I enjoyed this game enough to pay maybe $20 per month for it, but that would be (to me) a game-breaking amount of diamonds.

If this game had ever had the type of premium store, that virtually all other free-to-play games seem to have, then we would have plenty of options other than diamonds to buy and show our support. There have been plenty of suggestions over the years of things other than diamonds that people would happily spend money on, but Inno has never listened. Haven't you even made some suggestions for things you would spend money on, if Inno would just add them to the game? Instead they do insane things like that Black Friday/Cyber Monday "deal" from a couple of years ago, where you could buy three Phoenix artifacts for the low, low price of US $75.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
then we would have plenty of options other than diamonds to buy and show our support. There have been plenty of suggestions over the years of things other than diamonds that people would happily spend money on, but Inno has never listened. Haven't you even made some suggestions for things you would spend money on, if Inno would just add them to the game?
Absolutely.
  • Building skins,
  • the ability to buy diamond redeem codes so that you can gift other players with diamonds.
All of those are something I would spend diamonds on. Path of Exile is a free to play game with cosmetic microtransactions that I've spent hundreds on, AND I've introduced others to play who have spent even more.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
  • the ability to buy diamond redeem codes so that you can gift other players with diamonds.

This is one of the things that Inno loves to blame on EU laws. Players aren't allowed to gift diamonds to other players. Like, we can buy a $10 Visa debit card and give the number and code from the back to someone and they can type it in and buy diamonds, so why not sell redeem codes directly?

DeletedUser27062

@Eudaemonia If you read my post to the end, I acknowledge that there might be a time in the game where I think I need more diamonds. With regard to growing needs in a growing city, so far my accumulation of stuff has by far outpaced the increase in utilization of things like spells, instants, timers, etc.

I think some of this has to do with playstyle. If I want something and I don't have enough of x to get it, then I just make a plan and wait until I do have enough of x. Of course there are time-limited events and prizes that make it appear like everything has to happen now (to induce us to spend diamonds), but nothing will ever be offered in an event that if missed will substantially impair progress in the game, and if something even comes close to that like the fire phoenix it will probably be offered again.

One of the things I love about Elvenar is that it's fundamentally non-competitive. There is very little (or no) reason to try to be better than anyone else. As long as one is progressing toward whatever one's own goal is, the actions or luck or strategy of others is unimportant. To wax philosophical, Elvenar is an interesting metaphor for the fluidity of space-time. It's all about space and time. Both time and space are constraints in the game and have to be balanced in relationship with each other. But if one assumes that time is (relatively) infinite, then space also becomes less important as a constraint. In the end, everything will balance.

I did read your post through to the end but my response was aimed at what you believe to be true rather than the single line disclaimer. Your chosen playstyle will certainly be advantageous if you want to avoid needing diamonds.

You said Elvenar is fundamentally non-competitive yet everywhere you look there are markers for status and competition. Human nature is fundamentally competitive and Inno taps into that drive. There are AWs with the sole purpose of boosting ranking, we have leaderboards, trophies that offer no reward other than bragging rights and these forums are full of posts from people who try to promote themselves as better than others by being 'authentic' (code for coin free), the fastest growth, biggest city/rank/score etc etc. And I'm not saying any of that is wrong; I'm simply saying Elvenar is a game where people can & do satisfy their fundamentally competitive nature.

BTW, Elvenar as a metaphor for the fluidity of space-time really doesn't work - well, not without a little string theory and Maldacena’s AdS/CFT correspondence but that a whole other conversation.

Gladiola

If someone does the Spire to the top each week and does not have a library or libraries, the extra CCs from the Pilgrim's Manor will require boneyards to convert to spell fragments to make full use of them. In my experience climbing the Spire to the top in a bronze fellowship, I haven't gained enough spell fragments from Spire alone to use all the CCs gained in the Spire. Adding extra CCs will make the need for a library or a boneyard even more acute.

It does seem like it could be handy in events that want you to collect CCs.

Last edited:

Aritra

If someone does the Spire to the top each week and does not have a library or libraries, the extra CCs from the Pilgrim's Manor will require boneyards to convert to spell fragments to make full use of them. In my experience climbing the Spire to the top in a bronze fellowship, I haven't gained enough spell fragments from Spire alone to use all the CCs gained in the Spire. Adding extra CCs will make the need for a library or a boneyard even more acute.

It does seem like it could be handy in events that want you to collect CCs.
What are boneyards?
I assume slang, like seeing Fire Chicken referenced in here often.

Gladiola

@Aritra the way I've seen it used is all the buildings and things we get as prizes in events but will never use because we got six of them and only need three or by the time we have space they are in the wrong chapter, etc. I see them as mainly a source of spell fragments.