• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Is it still worth it?

missneaki

Be honest. Has this game matured too much to be easily maneuvered by someone new like me??

I've played for 90 days, playing virtually every day. I'm chapter 5, ranked around 1500. Not much use to any FS. I joined one - not a good fit. It happens. I'm competitive without much ability.

I've read through most of this site and wiki. Only half makes any sense at all. Usually the half that is the most contentious

I guess I enjoy the game enough. The learning curve is engaging. Not sure it will pay off in a year. And playing that long without any real affect seems disheartening.

So. Any thoughts?

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Oh there WILL be an effect sooner than a year once you get that right fit in! What world is your city in? Tons of fs on here would be glad to have you and help teach you! It can be very confusing at first. It took me many months to even at over a year I'm still learning new things about this game! What is important is when people invite you to their fs tell them how many times a day you play or how many days a week etc. Things like that to make sure a good fit. You could easily get into a fs that gets 10 chests every week which gives you 1 blueprint a week which will help get your city stronger quicker and tons more rewards to do tourney in a fellowship. Go to your worlds section here in the forum, and at the top there are 2 threads. One is fs looking for members and the other is members looking for fs. Post in the members looking for fs with a description of how much you play and what you are looking for.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
If you are on Khelonar, Land of Shadows would be a good fit as they are helpful and have little to no requirements for joining. And they are laid back so there's really no pressure.

AJ

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Not much use to any FS.
Don't say that! I'm not a new player, but I have a new 3-day old city because @The Fairy somehow convinced me I don't have enough distractions. I'm the diaper city anchoring the last spot on the roster. The next closest teammate is already in chapter 12. So far, it plays like being the surprise pregnancy with a large age gap of a decade or more between you and your older siblings. I think some of them are already in college and/or married off. They're definitely already drinking. Other times, it feels like the Benjamin Buttons experience where I somehow aged into the body of a baby. Everyone is very helpful and doting though (probably because I haven't reached my terrible two's yet). I'm trying to sprint to chapter 3 to get Spire access, but I failed to get there before Sunday. It's very hard to run when you can't even crawl with these chubby limbs. The good news is I am FA-ready by adding one more factory, which is just about all I can do, but I'll probably acquire more bracelets than those giant chapter 20 cities! Yeah, because I only need cheap plastic bracelets to keep my simpleton mind happy, but my older siblings need fancy bracelets made out of gold. They're probably also complaining about creaky knees climbing those Spire stairs, likely from sports-related injuries in their heyday, but babies think stairs are fun because we bounce when we fall. By chapter 5, I'll prob be able to pull my 1600 share of a blueprint. I think baby cities can still be high contributors of FS. I always recruit them for my own FS. We just can't pick up our own disproportionately sized heads.

Ok, maybe I have already reached my terrible 2's...

Smooper

my 2nd city is chapter 2 with pts in the 2,000's. Yes, I feel like I am walking in mud but I am enjoying the walk and not trying to rush it to much. I know that soon I will be able to contribute a little to the tourney and maybe the spire a little after that. If you do find a relaxed fellowship they will help with goods and advice and won't rush you. Good luck.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Be honest. Has this game matured too much to be easily maneuvered by someone new like me??

I've played for 90 days, playing virtually every day. I'm chapter 5, ranked around 1500. Not much use to any FS. I joined one - not a good fit. It happens. I'm competitive without much ability.

I've read through most of this site and wiki. Only half makes any sense at all. Usually the half that is the most contentious

I guess I enjoy the game enough. The learning curve is engaging. Not sure it will pay off in a year. And playing that long without any real affect seems disheartening.

So. Any thoughts?
I have several thoughts. First of all, Elvenar is a long term game. I started playing during lockdown in February of 2020. I still have not reached the end of the tech tree and I am still a relative newbie compared to some of the long term forum members. Making chapter 5 in 90 days is actually very fast progress. By progressing that fast you are doing better than most. If you keep at it your city will truly be something to be proud of in a year's time.

I looked you up on Elvenstats.com. You are in Felndral and your tournament average is 1452. Once again, this is a very good tournament average for a chapter 5 city. For comparision's sake, there are many competitive 10 chest fellowships with advanced players who do not require this high a weekly score. I would advise you to find a new fellowship. According to Elvenstats 9 of the 20 members of your current fellowship are inactive. You would do much better and will probably enjoy the game a lot more if you find a more active fellowship. And a more active FS with more advanced members might be able to answer some of the questions you have about the game. Or you could ask here, there are many great players in this forum who could answer your questions.

free-spirit

I'm in one of the top Fellowships and we don't really have a problem taking in an ambitious lower-ranked player when we have space. I think if you look around you might find a much better fit for your playstyle and that will definitely make the game more enjoyable. I'm chapter 20 now and while Elvenar is fun, it's the people in my Fellowship that keep me logging in.

crackie

and maybe the spire a little after that.
A little? No, no…turn that frown upside down and reframe your perspective! The Chapter 3 spire is your cheapest spire! I am sprinting there for that very reason. What’s the most points the most advanced chapter 20 city can contribute to the spire? 63. What’s the most points a baby chapter 3 city can contribute to the spire? 63. You will be fully carrying your own weight, just mostly in the head as a baby. Best of all, if your city is built to Spire from 3, you’ll already be in the habit and Spire ready for the rest of the game.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
A little? No, no…turn that frown upside down and reframe your perspective! The Chapter 3 spire is your cheapest spire! I am sprinting there for that very reason. What’s the most points the most advanced chapter 20 city can contribute to the spire? 63. What’s the most points a baby chapter 3 city can contribute to the spire? 63. You will be fully carrying your own weight, just mostly in the head as a baby. Best of all, if your city is built to Spire from 3, you’ll already be in the habit and Spire ready for the rest of the game.
New players now do not unlock the spire until chapter 5. Even more ridiculous, they don't unlock the tournament until ch 4! Although if you are starting a new city on your existing account I guess there is a chance you would be grandfathered into the old rules. I am not really sure about that. From what I have read, the tournament and spire are now tech advances you must research to unlock. So you should be able to look ahead in the tech tree to figure out which system you are under.

crackie

I am 3 days old.
Although if you are starting a new city on your existing account I guess there is a chance you would be grandfathered into the old rules.
I think it’s still the luck of the roll either way, whether you are new player or old player starting new city. I def got the old tech tree and the surprise pregnancy was only 3 days ago. I am relieved. I don’t want to sprint 5 chapters for Spire.

missneaki

Wow! What an inspiring group! Alright, I'm sticking it out. I will find a FS that will be a better fit. I was feeling so small in such a big game. I didn't realize my last fs was that inactive. I felt like they just didn't want to help. My thanks to all of you. I'm feeling more positive now

quin629

I'm competitive without much ability.

If you have that competitive streak there are many fellowships that will be happy to help you gain the ability. We can teach you ways to maximize city builds. We can teach tournaments & Spire. We can't teach the internal drive that makes you want to progress. You don't play in my world or I'd be sending you a private message myself about recruiting!

Zoof

My personal experience with my very first city had me sitting in my initial dying fellowship before I saw a promising fellowship in the Game Worlds sub-forum some two to three months later. The destination was a 10-chest fellowship and silver (at the time) Spire, and once I made it in, I knew it was the right choice.

If the fellowship you're currently in isn't doing it for you, there are many fellowships out there that'll have you. I'd eat my admittedly tasty mercury-filled hat if there wasn't a fellowship out there who'd take you on the promise that you'd be a competitive player! I'd even wager my monocle that many of those active fellowships would assist in such things as mentorship and/or goods to bring out the best your city could be!

Most of the "requirements" that those fellowships are meant to discourage more casual players, but I'm confident that they'll bend the rules if you've got a track record and can convince the target fellowship that you can quickly get up to snuff with regards to such requirements as Tournament and Spire. As for the Tournament part, there are ways a fellowship can check that, even if it isn't perfect. A willingness to learn (to improve) and play is often more valuable than a lot of things aside from personality*.

Related to the link above, you can likewise vet prospective fellowships to help you come to a conclusion. While it won't tell you such things as fellowship personality*, it can help gauge performance in some of the areas that might matter to you. For the personal touch, shooting an in-game PM to the target fellowship's archmage or recruiting mage (if their description has one) and checking over the reply can often tell you if you're a decent fit. It'll also tell them that what you want too. Communication is key!

* Aside from the technical stuff, it helps when the group you're with meshes well socially. They're called "fellowships" for a reason; you gotta have fellowship! Or not if that's the stated goal. Those sort of places exist! A place for everyone!

---
NOTE: This post was repeatedly edited across a whole sleep cycle; if stuff don't make sense, feel free to raise concerns, ask questions, and/or offer corrections

Mykan

Oh Wise One
New players now do not unlock the spire until chapter 5.
That will be due to how the stupid formula works. A chapter 3 town is insanely powerful in spire. I have a new town and it sprints up the spire leaving its fellows to dust. A big part of the game is what is your focus, if it is to rank up then progress in techs and grind. But if it is to do well in regular things like spire, tourny, FA etc. then park your town, optimize it and have fun in your fellowship. Fellowships are what keep people playing through the tough times of this game.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
missneaki, the right fellowship can make all the difference, but most people stumble into a fellowship that isn't a good fit, and then feel funny about leaving. It's a shame. You will find a world of difference if you play with the right fellowship.

When you're in game, click on your ranking points and then click on the "fellowship" tab. Don't go to page one and start looking for a top fellowship, but don't go to the bottom either. Check out the fellowships somewhere in the upper middle, in rank. Check out their "overviews." If they have a good-sounding overview and you think you might like them, write their name down. Get the names of at least 5-10 fellowships that you might enjoy based on their overviews.

Once you have that list, go to elvenstats.com. Click on "fellowships" and then type their names in one at a time. (Make sure you are picking the right fellowship in the right world ... some fellowships have the same name but are in different worlds.) Check out each fellowship on your list for the following:

1. Boosts. Do they need your boosts, or do they have a lot of the boosted goods you produce? If you make silk, planks and dust and they have tons of those but are low in other things, you won't be a good fit.
2. Tourney score: If you're active and willing to contribute to the tourney, then you'll probably want a fellowship that gets 10 chests (or very close, to where you can put them over the top.) A fellowship that gets 3 or 4 chests will not provide you with as many goods as you deserve.
3. Are there a lot of black triangles next to players' names? Black triangles signal inactivity. You won't have many players to play with if there are more than one or two players with black triangles.
4. Scroll ALL the way down to the bottom and look at who has recently joined and who has recently left. If there's been a mass exodus lately, you may not be happy with a fellowship that has just survived a shakeup. Likewise, if a bunch of new players have just joined, you may not have the stability you seek. A nice, stable fellowship, with just a couple joining and leaving on an ongoing basis, is the best kind of fellowship. (Note that this is not always true ... sometimes great fellowships have coincidental departures ... but it's true often enough that I would go for a stable fellowship.)

With that info under your belt, you can select a new fellowship wisely. Good luck!

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Wow! What an inspiring group! Alright, I'm sticking it out. I will find a FS that will be a better fit. I was feeling so small in such a big game. I didn't realize my last fs was that inactive. I felt like they just didn't want to help. My thanks to all of you. I'm feeling more positive now
Yes, a good fellowship makes all the difference. Check my post above for how to find a good one, and I'm sure you'll do well.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Never hurts to ask. Players don't realise they have an advantage and an active player eager to learn and grow is in demand. Read the overviews and send a message asking questions about the fellowship and introduce yourself. Giving a fellowship an idea about your playstyle/goals helps both of you work out if you will be a good fit and can save time and effort in the long run. Darielle gave some good advice but I differ on some points.
  1. I would start looking at page 1 of the fellowship rankings. A lot of those may have size or chapter requirements but you would be surprised how often you can sneak into a top 10 fellowship. Recruitment is as difficult for them as it is smaller fellowships.
  2. Boosts are far less of an issue in the higher ranked fellowships. Usually these have several larger players and trading will not be an issue. I am in a #2 fellowship and they never (in years) look at boosts, trading is the least of their concerns. However with mid size and smaller fellowships then the trade mix is much more important
  3. Look for spire badges and pick a fellowship aligned or close to where you want to be in spire. It is much easier for a fellowship to get 10 chests than it is to get higher spire badges. So make sure they meet your spire expectations/needs. Reality is if it is a silver spire fellowship it most likely gets 10 chests and I haven't seen a gold spire one that isn't 10 chests (always possible of course)
It may take you a fellowship or two to figure out what really works for you. Things like wonder programs and fellowship adventures take time to understand and get used to different approaches. It will take time to work out what suits you and what does not.

crackie

If the fellowship you're currently in isn't doing it for you, there are many fellowships out there that'll have you.
HA, I forgot about that thread!
A chapter 3 town is insanely powerful in spire.
And if you get the new tech tree and don't get Spire access until chap 5, then chap 5 Spire is still gonna be the cheapest Spire you see!
Doesn't hurt to ask right?
It doesn't hurt to ask when you see 25/25 on the member list either. I get recruited by fellowships that are full all the time, and yet, they're apparently recruiting. People are usually in transit or they have alts accounts. If they want you, they'll make room.

Remember too, it's not always about just ability or minimums. I have utmost confidence in my ability to meet minimums so FS culture is more important to me at this stage of my gameplay. Do people enjoy challenges and breeze through minimums or is it like extracting teeth to get people to even meet their minimums? In the case of my new city, being in a top ranked FS means less to me than if I'll actually have fun. I know I'll be able to carry my weight in time, but if I'm expected to sprint to join the pack, then that's not fun for me because I hate settlement stuff. Rushing through settlements would not be my idea of a good time. Figure out what you like and want. What's the draw? Is it the group prizes? Is it the people? Is it the competition? A lot of people here are also archmages and we talk to each other. If you state what you're looking for, someone will prob help you find a new home.