• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

I've Got The Residue Blues

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Is it just me or is the Arcane Residue badge crazy hard, particularly for new players or younger fellowships? I honestly believe it is only viable for players who are past Dwarves; I can't see anyone in chapters 1-5 making enough combined catalysts to operate the MA day and night and create enough vision vapor to keep up with requirements. And the worst part is that half the time, the items in the MA are worth 9 vv ... not 10. Since it won't stack, you wind up getting 18 vv for 1 badge and wasting even more combined catalysts.

I realize that some badges are supposed to be harder, and that's understandable, but I don't believe they should be impossible for newer fellowships. I can't help but wonder if Inno did this because their Tourney changes made it so much harder for the advanced players--are they trying to balance that by making the FA impossible for new fellowships? If so, that's a dangerous move. You get people turned off to the FA early, they won't come back when they are able to manage the badge.

I'm not complaining for myself ... we are currently in 1st place and leading by more than 3K points over 2nd place. But I have empathy for newbies ... I was one not that long ago, and I feel sorry for them. :(

Iyapo1

I dont have a single city above chapter 5.

5, 4, 4.

My lowest performer has cranked out 10 badges. And promptly ran out of CCs, and sadly I used all my speedups to upgrade my T1s so I could crank out a braclet badge every three hours.

It balances out.

DeletedUser16373

I agree but not just with it being difficult for new players. They should have made it so each transaction got an arcane residue rather than making it by a point system. As you pointed out the difficulty is in acquiring the catalysts. It should not be further compounded by an illogical point value system. These events need to be planned out more and the feedback from beta should be taken into consideration more completely before issuing them on the live servers. It is additionally frustrating to have items that are 23 points but you only get one badge. The whole thing makes no sense.

Darielle

I agree but not just with it being difficult for new players. They should have made it so each transaction got an arcane residue rather than making it by a point system. As you pointed out the difficulty is in acquiring the catalysts. It should not be further compounded by an illogical point value system. These events need to be planned out more and the feedback from beta should be taken into consideration more completely before issuing them on the live servers. It is additionally frustrating to have items that are 23 points but you only get one badge. The whole thing makes no sense.
That's a great idea ... every item you craft in the MA gives you an arcane residue. I like it. While I don't think they should have made vision vapor part of the FA at all, at least this is workable, especially since there are recipes that don't require combined catalysts, only spell fragments, and a new player can get those by disenchanting something (not that that's a good solution, but better than it is now.)

Iyapo1

These events need to be planned out more and the feedback from beta should be taken into consideration more completely before issuing them on the live servers
I ran out of CCs and then the spire opened. I thought that was pretty well timed myself.

Darielle

I dont have a single city above chapter 5.

5, 4, 4.

My lowest performer has cranked out 10 badges. And promptly ran out of CCs, and sadly I used all my speedups to upgrade my T1s so I could crank out a braclet badge every three hours.

It balances out.
I'm so sorry; yes, I think this is a ridiculous badge for your situation. I know I could not have done it then.

Darielle

I ran out of CCs and then the spire opened. I thought that was pretty well timed myself.
Serendipity! Yes, that was fortuitous!

Too bad the players in chapter 1 and 2 can't participate in spire (and even if they can, they are usually too weak to fight and have too few resources to use in it. I know resource requirements are less, but when you have no T3s at all, and can't make them, it sucks to get even a low amount needed.)

Kekune

Yes, even from a big- city perspective I'd like to see something different for this badge. Partly, I don't like the element of randomness in it. Partly, I don't like that since it's the bottleneck, the FA has just become a contest of who's crafting the most. At least in the old system, a team had to actually balance all the long badges to succeed in the pit; that's almost irrelevant now.

Letting the points stack would help. Giving a badge per item crafted would help.

Darielle

Yes, even from a big- city perspective I'd like to see something different for this badge. Partly, I don't like the element of randomness in it. Partly, I don't like that since it's the bottleneck, the FA has just become a contest of who's crafting the most. At least in the old system, a team had to actually balance all the long badges to succeed in the pit; that's almost irrelevant now.

Letting the points stack would help. Giving a badge per item crafted would help.
Thanks, Kekune. I just suggested it in the suggestions thread. If you could respond there, I'd appreciate it ... maybe someone will forward it if we get enough interest.

Dopeykr

Initially the Residue Badge was for 15 Vision Vapor in Beta Testing. That worked out with 2 Recipes of 3 VV & 1 Recipe of 9 VV. Then came the " great " adjustment to make it easier.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
It works fine if you are not trying to complete every single waypoint and make multiple rounds in the Pit. My Live fellowship only cared about completing one path per stage for the chests, and because of that, I have 12 extra Residue just sitting in my badge inventory with nowhere to put them.

LutherTheHairy

Is it just me or is the Arcane Residue badge crazy hard, particularly for new players or younger fellowships? I honestly believe it is only viable for players who are past Dwarves; I can't see anyone in chapters 1-5 making enough combined catalysts to operate the MA day and night and create enough vision vapor to keep up with requirements. :(

Speaking as the organizer of the Fabulous Stabby Horse November FA, we just completed the last Stage 3 Waypoint on the orange path.

We went blue blue orange using a total of 73 residues. Amongst the most active participants we have 4 chapter 5s 2 chapter 4s and chapter 3, and a chapter 9. Medium contributors a couple of chapter 4s and 5s and a chapter 13, but the chapter 13 did not rearrange their city much. then we have some more 2,3s and 4s who contributed sporadically .

Our inventories (of questionable precision) claim we have 10 residues left. 9 of us contributed residues to the 52 badge waypoint near the top of the orange path in Stage 3, with a chap 5 putting in 13, and the chap 9 putting in 10. The rest put in handfuls.

Residues WERE the longest pole in our tent, though blacksmith badges were second. Nevertheless , with careful planning we did it and could probably make about 15-20 more in the remaining 2 days.

I don't know how many catalysts everyone else has left, but I typically have about 24 at this point in the week, though now am down to 14. We have fairly good Spire participation so we get some there and then get bonus catalysts when it ends. I typically get 7 or 9 from that. Probably the median is around 5. (oops..make that 10. You reminded me to look at my MA, and there is this gorgeous MMM, that I simply must have. They are ALL the rage daaaarrielling, you know?)

Now my question for you...how many points is each Pit waypoint worth? We are figuring whether to stay in stage 3 and fill a tricolor waypoint for 900 points or move on to the Bottomless Pit.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

It works fine if you are not trying to complete every single waypoint and make multiple rounds in the Pit. My Live fellowship only cared about completing one path per stage for the chests, and because of that, I have 12 extra Residue just sitting in my badge inventory with nowhere to put them.
Right. But the whole point of this suggestion seems to be nerfing badge requirements to the point that a FS full of chapter 1 and 2 players can finish the FA. Gotta totally get rid of the wonder badges. You cant even donate kp until the middle of chapter 2.

Darielle

I doubt that it would work fine for a chapter 2 player who followed that same strategy. But I agree with you in that you and I can do it pretty easily. I'm just worried about turning off the fellowships that are starting out with a bunch of new players.

Darielle

Now my question for you...how many points is each Pit waypoint worth? We are figuring whether to stay in stage 3 and fill a tricolor waypoint for 900 points or move on to the Bottomless Pit.
Glad you worked it out; you sound very organized. Now to your question: Each pit set is worth 50 points and there are 6 different sets in the pit. Some are ridiculously easy; three are hard. I hope that helps.

Darielle

Right. But the whole point of this suggestion seems to be nerfing badge requirements to the point that a FS full of chapter 1 and 2 players can finish the FA. Gotta totally get rid of the wonder badges. You cant even donate kp until the middle of chapter 2.
Oh gosh I didn't realize I was in chapter 2 before I donated kp. I remember when I was a newbie and people visited me, I always donated kp to their wonders to thank them for visiting when I couldn't visit them back. I thought I was in chapter 1 back then, but I guess not. It was very early though, so if you're right, then I must have been mid chapter 2. Thought it was earlier. Thanks for letting me know.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I doubt that it would work fine for a chapter 2 player who followed that same strategy. But I agree with you in that you and I can do it pretty easily. I'm just worried about turning off the fellowships that are starting out with a bunch of new players.

My issue with that, and other things, is I don't want to see this turned into a "participation trophy" game. The game has always been meant to be a challenge. If it gets simplified to the point where a chapter 2 city can do what a chapter 10 or 15 city can, then the game will become too easy and advanced players will get bored and quit.