• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

keyboard movement in city in the browser

I have a really difficult time using the mouse a lot when I use the browser version of the game. I have carpal tunnel and it is really hard to use the mouse for an extended period of time. It is possible to navigate the "World" using the arrow keys, it would be great if that capability could be used in the cities.

BluebellJana7

Sodbury

Do you know about Mouse Keys?

Most operating systems allow you to control the mouse pointer with the keypad. This isn't exactly what you've asked for, but you might find it helpful in the interim. You can enable them in your accessibility options.

Alternately, there's Click Lock: When enabled, a slightly-longer mouse click "holds" the mouse button down, and you click again to "release" it. This means you can drag the map without physically holding the mouse button down, which may be more comfy. (Mouse Keys also has its own click lock of sorts: tap a key to "hold" the mouse button down, and another to "release".)

Do you know about Mouse Keys?

Most operating systems allow you to control the mouse pointer with the keypad. This isn't exactly what you've asked for, but you might find it helpful in the interim. You can enable them in your accessibility options.

Alternately, there's Click Lock: When enabled, a slightly-longer mouse click "holds" the mouse button down, and you click again to "release" it. This means you can drag the map without physically holding the mouse button down, which may be more comfy. (Mouse Keys also has its own click lock of sorts: tap a key to "hold" the mouse button down, and another to "release".)
I tried the click lock and it helps a little. I had never heard of it, thanks for the advice. I will try to find the other option.

Last edited:

Kadhrin

I tried the click lock and it helps a little. I had never heard of it, thanks for the advice. I will try to find the other option.
Best mouse replacements I've tried are pen tablets. You can set them up to map the size of the tablet to the entire screen area, which means you can move the end of the pen 6", and the cursor goes from one corner of the screen to the other. The pens have clickers on the side, but you can set up the tablet so that's the right mouse button, and just tapping the tablet with the end of the pen is the click, while hovering over the tablet is enough to move the cursor.

Also good: touchpads, especially the Apple magic touchpad. It works like a pen tablet, but it's finger-based. Same tracking. Only disadvantage for me is I often push hard to get the haptic feedback of a "click" when a tap would work just as well.

Best mouse replacements I've tried are pen tablets. You can set them up to map the size of the tablet to the entire screen area, which means you can move the end of the pen 6", and the cursor goes from one corner of the screen to the other. The pens have clickers on the side, but you can set up the tablet so that's the right mouse button, and just tapping the tablet with the end of the pen is the click, while hovering over the tablet is enough to move the cursor.

Also good: touchpads, especially the Apple magic touchpad. It works like a pen tablet, but it's finger-based. Same tracking. Only disadvantage for me is I often push hard to get the haptic feedback of a "click" when a tap would work just as well.
My tablet is a great option and I use it most of the time. There are a couple of things that are much easier to do in the browser version, especially things I do for the FS I'm in.

Sodbury

Got one more thing you can try:
While playing Elvenar, hold ctrl and tap the minus key one or more times. Elvenar zooms out, and you see way more of the map. Buildings are smaller... but hey, far less scrolling is necessary. In fact, I was able to fit my whole darned city on my monitor. Again, not quite what you were asking for...

(To restore the default zoom, hold ctrl and tap the zero key. These zoom commands are also available under the view menu on your browser.)

Got one more thing you can try:
While playing Elvenar, hold ctrl and tap the minus key one or more times. Elvenar zooms out, and you see way more of the map. Buildings are smaller... but hey, far less scrolling is necessary. In fact, I was able to fit my whole darned city on my monitor. Again, not quite what you were asking for...

(To restore the default zoom, hold ctrl and tap the zero key. These zoom commands are also available under the view menu on your browser.)
I use the minus key all the time and I can see most of what is there. BUT the graphics are so pretty and you can't really see much detail.