• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

KP messaging threads suggestion - make it work just like in Forge Of Empires

DeletedUser14457

Hi,

I think this would make a nice addition to the game, all the fellowships I am a member of are extensively using hand made messaging threads, text only at the moment in Elvenar.

In Forge of Empires you can do all this by just using mouse clicks (screen taps in the mobile app) in the following sequence:
1. Click to choose the appropriate message thread (5 KP, 10 KP etcetera),
2. When the message opens, you get to click the last contributor's AW directly from the message, and another click to actually put the KP in.
3. Close the AW, you get returned back to the message.
4. Again, directly from the message, you upload your desired AW to be contributed to. The message thread will be displayed with the most current message at the bottom.

...and that's about it.

Thanks a bunch for considering this, I am realizing it is not trivial to implement (would mean to transform the current text messages system to something with richer content (wild guessing HTML ?!? INNO would know best ;) ))

PS: To all of you opposing this, I strongly suggest you try this in Forge Of Empires. I promise you, you'll love it.

Last edited by a moderator:

NightshadeCS

I did play FoE for a while, and this was very helpful. A lot of FoE features have been migrating over to Elvenar lately. I think I heard somewhere that someone pretty far up the food chain just came over from FoE to Elvenar development, and that's the reason why so many of those features have been coming out lately. We may see more, such as this, in the near future. Or, maybe not.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 691030

Love this idea, I would definitely participate more in these types of threads if there were accountability like this

Pheryll

Set Designer
Sometimes I wonder if Elvenar is purposely more low-tech because there are a lot of older folks who play? I don't have a lot (read: none) of evidence to support it, but it has been a musing of mine.

It is more low-tech because it used a completely different code-base. The early development of the game was very much reinventing the wheel, as they could not simply port over FOE features, but had to make similar features on their own.

Socrates28

I did play FoE for a while, and this was very helpful. A lot of FoE features have been migrating over to Elvenar lately. I think I heard somewhere that someone pretty far up the food chain just came over from FoE to Elvenar development, and that's the reason why so many of those features have been coming out lately. We may see more, such as this, in the near future. Or, maybe not.

Sometimes I wonder if Elvenar is purposely more low-tech because there are a lot of older folks who play? I don't have a lot (read: none) of evidence to support it, but it has been a musing of mine.
Since I am one of the people you referance (I am 72) I don't think your reasoning holds. Not everyone who is around my age is afraid of computers ( I used to be a financial computer programmer for a Fortune 500 company). While I did not grow up with computers I have learned to use them, as many people my age have done. Age of a user base does not determine the type of code used and implemented. How the information is displayed does that.
More to be considered is the legacy code that the program was origionally written in. Each type of code has its own strengths and weaknesses. If you are going to use a new code language you must start from scratch to redesign a program. It is not simply cut and paste.

NightshadeCS

My apologies @Socrates28 and other of our wiser players. No offense meant, certainly, but I see now that I may have been inadvertently expressing some ageism. Original post edited to remove offending material.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I wouldn't concern yourself. I fully acknowledge that I am mature and have different experiences than those who are younger. Different does not mean less, and I'm not bothered by it. If anyone is guilty in ageism as it relates to computers, it's probably those of us near retirement. We had every reason to feel exactly the same about those of our parents' generation, most of whom never touched a computer in their lives, and we injected that hard border into the culture of the computer generation. Yet now that hard border is working it's way out of the system and we have to realize that. I worked with Earl Fogel, who's name will mean virtually nothing to probably anyone on these forums. But before he was doing his graduate work in Computer science, hotlinks were unknown. Page and file lists in FTP documents were something you had to copy and paste, or even retype to get to the next item. During the mid 80s. he designed an interface so that you could scroll up and down the page, and when your cursor was on a link, hitting enter activated it. His work eventually resulted in Hytelnet. He retired several years ago.

That we grew up in a time when it was scandalous to think of player-vs-player is no doubt reflected in the games we choose, and if Elvenar caters to us more than to people who grew up with with different inputs, I don't think there's anything ageist in acknowledging that.

Captain Asgard

@Ashrem

This Earl Fogel? :)

A-11294_141.jpg

My Senior year of High School our computers looked like this
ead5a3099d462431681277924c2804ff.jpg
and asking it "where is God" would cause it to scroll endlessly. We got into a lot of trouble doing that...

Socrates28

My apologies @Socrates28 and other of our wiser players. No offense meant, certainly, but I see now that I may have been inadvertently expressing some ageism. Original post edited to remove offending material.
@NightshadeCS No offense taken. There is always the perception that differences (age, gender, et al) in people lead us to make assumptions of their capabilities. As with all generalizations there is some truth in them, as there was in yours (and mine too for that matter). The problem is that these statements may indeed be spicfically true of an individual, they are not true of every individual, and sometimes they are not even generally true.
What computers looked like when I went to school:
sliderule.png