• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Leagues for Fellowships

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Let's face it: recruiting sucks. Making recruiting easier would help toward making the game more enjoyable for both the fellowships and for new players.

Imagine this scenario: An AM has the option to have her fellowship "Join a league." She presses the button and is taken to a league page, where there are three types of leagues ... casual beginner, active mid-size, or top level. Maybe even bronze, silver and gold leagues. She chooses the league type she wants and reviews her choice of leagues (or federations, or whatever) and joins one. (She can always join a different one later.)

The fellowship is now part of a "federation" of like-minded fellowships, perhaps 8, 10, or 12 fellowships or whatever number is decided. If a new player wants to join a fellowship, fine, they can join it if the fellowship has space. If the fellowship they choose is full, the player is offered other fellowships in the same league as "similar options." Then the player may choose one of those to join. The AM still has the option to decline a player, but this makes it possible for new players to find a fellowship more easily, and for fellowships to recruit from among a wider selection of candidates.

So, I'm throwing this idea out ... maybe you can add options, explain the negatives, etc. I'm all ears!

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I agree the issue needs a solution but am unsure this is it. There is also 2 sides to the issue:
  • FS finding players
  • Players finding FS
The above sounds like a lot of coding and lot of questions/issues around how it would work from groupings to allocation/recommendation order. When I have searched for fellowships I don't look for any of those criteria and even if I look at "top level" there is large variations in how they operate. I think the leagues would need to be grouped on completely different data and then I wonder if there isn't a simpler way of recording such data and players searching/filtering based on it. Is your suggestion trying to help players find a fs or FS find a player?

Criteria I would think is beneficial based on questions I am asked and those I ask myself. Could be in a Y/N format or a category:
  • Visit requirement(none, 3+,5+,7)
  • Tournament requirement (0-1000, 1000-2000, etc)
  • Spire requirement
  • FA requirement
  • Activity/score change requirement
  • Town design requirement
  • Trading requirements
  • KP program (type here can be important for some players, so a Y/N might not be enough)
  • Chapter restriction
  • Accepts new players
Edit: added more to the list

Last edited:

Darielle

I agree the issue needs a solution but am unsure this is it. There is also 2 sides to the issue:
  • FS finding players
  • Players finding FS
The above sounds like a lot of coding and lot of questions/issues around how it would work from groupings to allocation/recommendation order. When I have searched for fellowships I don't look for any of those criteria and even if I look at "top level" there is large variations in how they operate. I think the leagues would need to be grouped on completely different data and then I wonder if there isn't a simpler way of recording such data and players searching/filtering based on it. Is your suggestion trying to help players find a fs or FS find a player?

Criteria I would think is beneficial based on questions I am asked and those I ask myself. Could be in a Y/N format or a category:
  • Visit requirement(none, 3+,5+,7)
  • Tournament requirement (0-1000, 1000-2000, etc)
  • Spire requirement
  • FA requirement
  • Activity/score change requirement
  • Town design requirement
  • Trading requirements
  • KP program (type here can be important for some players, so a Y/N might not be enough)
  • Chapter restriction
  • Accepts new players
Edit: added more to the list
I like your list, and perhaps the leagues could be divided into more categories. I agree that there would have to be heavy coding to afford this feature full utility. But it would be awesome in the end, I think, if the devs were willing and able to do it.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I like the idea of fellowships self sorting themselves into competitive buckets. I think it's worth the extra coding because the current state of things is causing a lot of burnout for AM with the recruiting front. A well-run FS is a game changing experience. If all the good managers step away due to burnout, it's an overall downgrade for a lot more players, which is not good for overall game. Recruiting is constant, and that is to be expected, but the process is just awful. Most of us have to rely on third party site to do our intelligence gathering and if you're a Gold Spire FS, it's hit or miss between what the candidate says they can do on the Spire versus reality, as there is currently no way to vet a Spire candidate. I am utterly surprised at how many failure to launch situations I've seen from recruits to my FS as well as friend's FS where candidates apply for a Gold FS and can't even make it past Gateway despite claiming to be Gold Spire capable. The disconnect is baffling. But maybe if there are different level of competitiveness spelled out by leagues, these types of things will happen less (although I'm sure there are still people who want to join a competitive league while doing none of the effort) and applicants will self-sort themselves to the appropriate level of competitiveness for their tastes. I do foresee some FS that will want to be big fish in a small pond, like they are really a competitive FS but want to be a Bronze league just to say they are the best at something. :rolleyes:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I still think leagues are more invovled than is necessary even something as simple as using the current in-game mechanics of badges and being able to filter fellowships based on what they have earnt like a 5 chest, 10 chest, bronze, silver, gold badge would be huge (FA badges if they ever do them). Even without other information you immediately can narrow the field to fs that are more likely to fit your needs and then you just search through their rules.

With a league the leadership must do something and the players still have to and then your still defining rules around a league. Even if a league is 10 chest gold fellowship those fellowships are vastly different in how they operate. And if 10 chest/gold is close enough then why not a simpler option?

Even ignoring most of the criteria players look for the simplest solution is probably:
  • Create FS badges for FA based on rank, maybe
    • Top 3 placement
    • Top 10
    • Top 25
    • Badge for getting to pit
  • Create some filters in the fs ranking screen
    • 1655246719574.png
      this space if possible
The spire and adventure rankings can be used for a single criteria but no where in game tells you a fs tournament performance or combinations of those. Having an option to combine features and the existing drop box for application type. Also a filter to for a vacancy would be handy.

I know when your not in a fellowship you can get a specific screen for finding a fellowship and I can't recall what it looks like. It may be the better location but lots and lots of people search for a fellowship while still in one.

None of this would help a fellowhsip find a person but it would make it easier for a person to locate potential fellowships that suit them. If the overhaul was bigger you could throw in other options like visits etc.

Also might need to split into 2 suggestions so FA badges and filtering are seperate ideas...

Note: I did speak to Darielle before posting an alternate before posting this

Darielle

Ooh, I like the idea of fellowship badges, Mykan! That sounds awesome.

Maybe we could combine ideas in some way. Anyone got ideas on that?