• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Legislation against the Shanty Town Season in Elvenar Cities

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
My wish list for FAs is still a fourth or even fifth map before we go into the dreaded pit.

Also on my wish list for FAs ... make the pit a true pit where everyone can dump all the badges they have, with point levels depending upon which badge they dump. It just doesn't seem like a pit to me if you have to dump things in a specific order. Imagine going to an actual dump and being told, "Nooooo ... you have to dump first the cereal bags, then the waste paper, then the soiled diapers, then the vegetable scraps," etc, etc, etc.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
My wish list for FAs is still a fourth or even fifth map before we go into the dreaded pit.

Also on my wish list for FAs ... make the pit a true pit where everyone can dump all the badges they have, with point levels depending upon which badge they dump. It just doesn't seem like a pit to me if you have to dump things in a specific order. Imagine going to an actual dump and being told, "Nooooo ... you have to dump first the cereal bags, then the waste paper, then the soiled diapers, then the vegetable scraps," etc, etc, etc.

I agree completely. Add a couple more maps at least...but could you imagine how difficult it would be to finish if those two maps increased in difficulty at the same rate as the differences between stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3? Not a lot of fs's would get through the 5th map.

So here's my ideal. Have 5 stages but randomize what each waypoint requires so that the 4th and 5th do two things: stay at the level of stage 3 and have more cross over places -- 1, 3, 5 7. That would mean if you ran into some waypoint asking for 24 statues and you only have 1 day left you could go a different route. (In other words, more easily go around the obstacle). This would make it an adventure as it wouldn't be predictable. But it would also reward planning by leaving the first three stages alone. By randomizing the last two stage an fs has to adjust. AND, of course, make the 4th and 5th stages necessary to get to the pit.

In addition, after the third stage have an off ramp. You don't go to the pit but you do get the prizes. That way smaller fellowships still have a goal they can meet.

Or something like that.

AJ

Darielle

I agree completely. Add a couple more maps at least...but could you imagine how difficult it would be to finish if those two maps increased in difficulty at the same rate as the differences between stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3? Not a lot of fs's would get through the 5th map.

So here's my ideal. Have 5 stages but randomize what each waypoint requires so that the 4th and 5th do two things: stay at the level of stage 3 and have more cross over places -- 1, 3, 5 7. That would mean if you ran into some waypoint asking for 24 statues and you only have 1 day left you could go a different route. (In other words, more easily go around the obstacle). This would make it an adventure as it wouldn't be predictable. But it would also reward planning by leaving the first three stages alone. By randomizing the last two stage an fs has to adjust. AND, of course, make the 4th and 5th stages necessary to get to the pit.

In addition, after the third stage have an off ramp. You don't go to the pit but you do get the prizes. That way smaller fellowships still have a goal they can meet.

Or something like that.

AJ
I like that a lot. But I also don't mind if the fourth and fifth maps were harder than the third, as long as they were actually doable by a full fellowship. But of course, if they were much harder, then they wouldn't be doable and Inno would have to guard against that and not get crazy. You may be right in thinking it would get too hard.

Imagine an FA where there were five maps, and even the top fellowships got to the pit on the last day (instead of 2 days later, which I have seen). Some fellowships would not get to the fifth map ... it would be a choice in the fellowship "How many maps do we want to go for this time?" If they wanted to go for the whole enchilada, so be it, they'd try for all five maps. I suspect that most fellowships would be more motivated by five maps and five prizes. They would want to keep going instead of stopping and three maps and being done, as so many fellowships are now. Even those that weren't planning to vie for high spots would feel motivated to do all the maps.

By the time they reached the pit, everyone would dump all their badges, in no specific order, and receive credit depending upon the badge. If they wanted to go higher, just keep cranking out badges and dumping them, to earn a top spot. I could go for that more than now, where I'm sitting there with my arcanes, farmers, and all other badges EXCEPT blacksmiths, waiting for the paint to dry while the person who has blacksmiths is out somewhere doing something in real life. I hate those paint-drying moments. As I've said before, giving neighborly help and the FA are the only tedious parts of this game. Everything else I love.

But in the end, I do like the FA changes so far. It's just that while they are making it less frustrating, they are not making it more addictive. And more addictive is what is needed.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
2 out of every 3 badges for each checkpoint will be statues, necklaces, blacksmiths, farmers, arcanes, and ghosts for at least 80 badges apiece, except for the last checkpoint, which will be guards and wonder societies. The prize is 3 winter lampions. The underlying msg from the devs is “We’re trying to tell you guys it’s not worth finishing these stages.” @Palavyn and I will still do all 5 stages bc our FS can’t help it.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
2 out of every 3 badges for each checkpoint will be statues, necklaces, blacksmiths, farmers, arcanes, and ghosts for at least 80 badges apiece, except for the last checkpoint, which will be guards and wonder societies. The prize is 3 winter lampions. The underlying msg from the devs is “We’re trying to tell you guys it’s not worth finishing these stages.” @Palavyn and I will still do all 5 stages bc our FS can’t help it.

The point of the FA is not the prizes and anybody who thinks they are going to get rich doing FA's might need some time of deep reflection. There are, in my opinion, two reasons to do the FA. First, because your fs grows together and has some fun doing them; and second, the challenge of finishing as high as you can...which is almost always 4th, 5th ..... but never 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, unless you are an FA focused group that wants to finish first in EVERYTHING... we know those fs's don't we?

In any case, it's the fun of working together and achieving a goal that makes it worth the effort to my fellowship. If we meet our goals we consider ourselves winners.

AJ

Darielle

Except a lot of people who have replied in this thread HAVE finished 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. ;)
True. I have 3 first place trophies, 2 2nd place trophies, and an assortment of others from top 10 (some of which I've disenchanted when spell frags got tight, though I still have the 3 1st place). I think the people on the forum are more likely to be overachievers, or new people who one day will be.

defiantoneks

i think if i had to pick only one change to make to he FA, it would be the creation of a common "wallet" or "pool" (however you want to call it) of badges once you enter the Pit. That way the archmage or mage or even anyone designated by them could fill the pit requirements with what the fellowship has… even if an offline player has the badge. that way no one has wasted badges because someone had work, or needed to sleep, or eat, or take care of anything in RL.

crackie

i think if i had to pick only one change to make to he FA, it would be the creation of a common "wallet" or "pool" (however you want to call it) of badges once you enter the Pit. That way the archmage or mage or even anyone designated by them could fill the pit requirements with what the fellowship has… even if an offline player has the badge. that way no one has wasted badges because someone had work, or needed to sleep, or eat, or take care of anything in RL.
If you have to show up for the map part, why do you get to mail it in for the Pit though? Ranking is settled in the Pit since all the top teams can finish all three maps. If they want to duke it out, then they should have to show up. If a FS does not care for rank, they are free to sit out the Pit.

FS with large, late-chapter cities already have a huge advantage by virtue of having more real estate to play with. If they don't even have to show up, it's going to be a lot tougher for medium and smaller fellowships to overcome that advantage. Second, if your FS wasn't competitive to begin with, it's not really going to help you much with overall ranking because all the top groups will have even more badges to play with too in a pool setting. However, having a pool will kill a critical part of what makes FAs fun...which is the increased player engagement. Chat is so much livelier with a FA going on because people are showing up to dump their badges. If they don't have to show up, then it's back to 25 solo artists doing whatever on their own and are a band in name only and it's not much of a "fellowship adventure". Part of the adrenaline rush of a FA shootout is some people show up with a feather duster or squirt gun, some might have bow and arrows, others might have grenades, and a very few might have ICBMs in their arsenal. Regardless, you all fire what you got together.

Zoof

If you have to show up for the map part, why do you get to mail it in for the Pit though? Ranking is settled in the Pit since all the top teams can finish all three maps. If they want to duke it out, then they should have to show up. If a FS does not care for rank, they are free to sit out the Pit.

FS with large, late-chapter cities already have a huge advantage by virtue of having more real estate to play with. If they don't even have to show up, it's going to be a lot tougher for medium and smaller fellowships to overcome that advantage. Second, if your FS wasn't competitive to begin with, it's not really going to help you much with overall ranking because all the top groups will have even more badges to play with too in a pool setting. However, having a pool will kill a critical part of what makes FAs fun...which is the increased player engagement. Chat is so much livelier with a FA going on because people are showing up to dump their badges. If they don't have to show up, then it's back to 25 solo artists doing whatever on their own and are a band in name only and it's not much of a "fellowship adventure". Part of the adrenaline rush of a FA shootout is some people show up with a feather duster or squirt gun, some might have bow and arrows, others might have grenades, and a very few might have ICBMs in their arsenal. Regardless, you all fire what you got together.
[AGREEMENT]

I also think some of the fun comes in seeing how far your city has come since the last FA and you're willing to test out your new and shiny ICBMs on the possibly unsuspecting populace. (Not yours, obviously. They're already stressed enough as it is!) Your FS is going "wow". Your opposition is going "wow". Everyone is going "wow". And then as soon as the pits start, you look over yonder and suddenly, you see someone with a fully operational battle station.

Those are the best.

crackie

We've also weaponized Ex-Lax. If you're on a 9-5 schedule and can only peek in after work briefly, then your part of the fight for the fellowship is to pick up the Ex-Lax after work because we're prob stuck on Farmers when you show up. We need them to help us flow again.

Just doing my part taking another thread into the gutter...

defiantoneks

If you have to show up for the map part, why do you get to mail it in for the Pit though?
it's not "mailing it in" if these players have manufactured numerous badges, and just need an opportunity to play. on regular stages there are larger buckets to fill and more time to plan it. the pit requires you to be there nonstop because it changes frequently. unless it doesnt, because you're stuck, because the person who broke their hump making farmer badges had to go get their kid from school. and then they show up and you're stuck again because the person with bracelets is at work. or whatever.

now, if you can have the FA end on a Sunday which provides more likelihood that people are available, fine. but as it doesnt end then, the people who have to work and cant attend the game 24/7 get screwed by having made stuff that the FS could have contributed.
would it make a huge ranking difference? doubt it.
but it would increase satisfaction of players knowing they didnt beat themselves to death making something that never even got to use, because hey, REAL LIFE. IMO the wasted badges are a reason people hate the FA.

crackie

it's not "mailing it in" if these players have manufactured numerous badges
OK, I'll bite. Let's pretend this IS possible, except I produce a ton of troops and goods, but I didn't have time to get my tourney or Spire rounds in. I now pass all my troops and goods off to my mages so they get my rounds in for me in order to feel like I've participated. The game play for the Spire and tourney essentially now stops at the collection stage because I don't need to do anything else to be "counted". The number of tourney chests unlocked and if your FS finishes in Bronze, Silver, or Gold is all dictated by the mages spending everyone's goods and troops. There is no need for strategy, knowledge, or coordination whatsoever. The game now boils down to hopping on every few hours to pop some collection bubbles. Now we apply this concept to FA. This is yay? Mmm, I'm not convinced. This improves convenience maybe, but it doesn't improve gameplay. I am now a whole lot more bored with the game. The stages are for prizes. The Pit is for ranking. To not have to show up for the part that determines your finish is an odd premise to me.

the pit requires you to be there nonstop because it changes frequently.
Actually, it's the opposite. It takes me less than 5 mins to empty hundreds of badges in the pit BECAUSE it changes frequently. Then I am off to do RL stuff because I have no badges left to be able to do anything for awhile.
unless it doesnt, because you're stuck, because the person who broke their hump making farmer badges had to go get their kid from school. and then they show up and you're stuck again because the person with bracelets is at work. or whatever.
I warned/advised against this in the other FA thread because it isn't sound strategy.
but it would increase satisfaction of players knowing they didnt beat themselves to death making something that never even got to use, because hey, REAL LIFE. IMO the wasted badges are a reason people hate the FA.
If a player is both resentful and beating themselves up, do you know who is the only one with total power to change that situation? Hint: It's not Inno. I mean, if you know you won't be around during FA week, is it realistic to make a ton of badges and then be resentful about it because you couldn't use them? Who's making them play that way? The mages? We don't have this resentment problem in either of my fellowships because FAs are 100% voluntary. Players can commit to as little or as much as they want and we go to battle with whoever decides to play. Heck, I am a mage in one FS and I put in minimal effort in the previous FA.