• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Libraries vs. Torch Fountains

yoBARBZ

Hello, I currently have 14 arcane libraries and I am considering replacing 6 of them with 3 torch fountains. However, I am worried about loss in mana production. I also have dragon abby level 6, maze level 1, and numerous event buildings that produce mana (about 39,000 daily in mana). I am in the Amuni chapter. I plan on reducing screen time and so it is likely that I won't be able to check Elvenar every 6 hours when torch fountain production stops. Outside of events I plan to check Elvenar three times daily. Would changing to torch fountains be a great loss in mana?

Clusseau

Each player is different, and things change.
To sort this out, just make your best estimate of how often (=the amount) you'd collect from each building in a week.
Then, divide by number of squares for each building. You'll then have mana per square, which is an easy comparison.

In the long run though; its Dragon Levels, Provinces, and spell collections that Eliminate need for any mana buildings, including Maze.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Edit: ignore this answer my head was in the clouds.
Hmm
First off I am not a number cruncher, but I will wade in anyway.
If Torch Fountain was researched recently, then yes, go ahead and use it to replace various things. It's a viable mana producer for about a chapter and a half, and as it comes in late Elementals chapter, should see you into Constructs chapter. Especially if you can use the early collect. It's a nice spatial item, in that houses change into that shape, plus when you're ready, Lava Eggs slot in there too.

*rolls up sleeves*
Ok let's address other issues. You must have a huge stock of spell fragments, which is why I keep 3 Library sets, in any city that has that many, not to mention the CCs. Now. You may want to keep what will upgrade to seed production, and what will make sentients for you, namely the Gum Trees and Moonstone Gates. So I would keep a bunch of the small pieces of the sets, replace some Libraries with at least one Pilgrim set.
BUT: be prepared to take a hit in population. There's a few peeps packed in there.
Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Myne

Oh Wise One
you would need to do the math (UGH) how much does each library make in mana for you daily? x6 If you can stand the loss then try it. I would not get rid of them though yet. I think I would store them for a bit to make sure you have enough mana

yoBARBZ

Each player is different, and things change.
To sort this out, just make your best estimate of how often (=the amount) you'd collect from each building in a week.
Then, divide by number of squares for each building. You'll then have mana per square, which is an easy comparison.

In the long run though; its Dragon Levels, Provinces, and spell collections that Eliminate need for any mana buildings, including Maze.
Thanks for the calculations suggestions. I'll also focus on upgrading my dragon abbey.

yoBARBZ

you would need to do the math (UGH) how much does each library make in mana for you daily? x6 If you can stand the loss then try it. I would not get rid of them though yet. I think I would store them for a bit to make sure you have enough mana
Thanks for the calculations suggestion. I'll try to figure that out.

yoBARBZ

Hmm
First off I am not a number cruncher, but I will wade in anyway.
If Torch Fountain was researched recently, then yes, go ahead and use it to replace various things. It's a viable mana producer for about a chapter and a half, and as it comes in late Elementals chapter, should see you into Constructs chapter. Especially if you can use the early collect. It's a nice spatial item, in that houses change into that shape, plus when you're ready, Lava Eggs slot in there too.

*rolls up sleeves*
Ok let's address other issues. You must have a huge stock of spell fragments, which is why I keep 3 Library sets, in any city that has that many, not to mention the CCs. Now. You may want to keep what will upgrade to seed production, and what will make sentients for you, namely the Gum Trees and Moonstone Gates. So I would keep a bunch of the small pieces of the sets, replace some Libraries with at least one Pilgrim set.
BUT: be prepared to take a hit in population. There's a few peeps packed in there.
Edited for clarity.
Yes, I do have lots of spell fragments. I have the moonstone library set but haven't placed it yet as I think I'm missing a piece. Are their other library sets? How would keeping smaller pieces work? I thought sets worked best together? I have two other sets that I've placed - pilgrim's manor and forbidden ruins. I also have a lava egg that I never placed, and I just looked up how much mana I'd get since I'm in Amuni chapter and its 42,000 every 48 hrs so I'm definately going to place it. I might have to get rid of a residence but I think I can with storing one away.

Edit to say thank you!

Edit to say I placed the lava egg and I don't get 42,000. I misunderstood. I think I still have to use restoration spells to upgrade it to the Amuni chapter level.

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
The OP is asking about Arcane Libraries v Torch Fountains, not the Moonstone ones.

Since Arcane Libraries are regular culture bldgs, I wouldn't use a teleport on them. I could always go back and rebuild one if I needed it.
Eesh lol
Then defo yes, is my answer.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Okay, the Torch Fountain is a 4x4 building (16 squares) and it gives 3200 mana every 6 hours, along with 1800 culture

Arcane Libraries are a 5x3 building (15 squares) and it gives 2400 mana in 12 hours along with 1750 culture.

This is a no brainer. The torch fountain therefore gives you 33.3 mana per square per hour (assuming you collect immediately, which I grant you is impossible).

The arcane library gives you 13.33 mana per square per hour (assuming the same immediate collection.)

The torch fountain is hands down the better building, unless you onlyl have a 5x3 spot and can't make a 4x4 spot. But I would do my dangdest to try to fit only torch fountains and forget arcanes.

Edit to add ... if you currently have 6 arcanes that you wish to replace, you are using 90 squares of space. So you are getting approximately 1200 mana per hour from those six arcanes.

If you replace those six with three torch fountains, you'll cut it down to 48 squares of space and free up 42 squares. You will get a total of 1598 mana per hour from those 48 squares.

So where is the loss of mana you are talking about? Unless my math is off, you are gaining 42 squares and making more mana, not less, in total.

I would replace all of them, not just 6.

Last edited:

yoBARBZ

The OP is asking about Arcane Libraries v Torch Fountains, not the Moonstone ones.

Since Arcane Libraries are regular culture bldgs, I wouldn't use a teleport on them. I could always go back and rebuild one if I needed it.
Thanks! No, I wouldn't teleport them. I believe they only cost coins and supplies, so they aren't hard for me to replace.

yoBARBZ

Okay, the Torch Fountain is a 4x4 building (16 squares) and it gives 3200 mana every 6 hours, along with 1800 culture

Arcane Libraries are a 5x3 building (15 squares) and it gives 2400 mana in 12 hours along with 1750 culture.

This is a no brainer. The torch fountain therefore gives you 33.3 mana per square per hour (assuming you collect immediately, which I grant you is impossible).

The arcane library gives you 13.33 mana per square per hour (assuming the same immediate collection.)

The torch fountain is hands down the better building, unless you onlyl have a 5x3 spot and can't make a 4x4 spot. But I would do my dangdest to try to fit only torch fountains and forget arcanes.

Edit to add ... if you currently have 6 arcanes that you wish to replace, you are using 90 squares of space. So you are getting approximately 1200 mana per hour from those six arcanes.

If you replace those six with three torch fountains, you'll cut it down to 48 squares of space and free up 42 squares. You will get a total of 1598 mana per hour from those 48 squares.

So where is the loss of mana you are talking about? Unless my math is off, you are gaining 42 squares and making more mana, not less, in total.

I would replace all of them, not just 6.
Thank you for doing the calculations! I'm going to definitely get rid of the 6 and see how the torch fountain additions work out for me. Since my houses are also being upgraded to 4x4, thing might work out really well overall.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Thank you for doing the calculations! I'm going to definitely get rid of the 6 and see how the torch fountain additions work out for me. Since my houses are also being upgraded to 4x4, thing might work out really well overall.

That should work out great. You're very welcome.