• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Looking for a quantitative analysis on building upgrade value.

LutherTheHairy

Somewhere in this forum or maybe on Google, I found my way to some tool that let me see efficiencies of different buildings in units of culture needed per goods or whatever produced a. It would take people into account by attributing a culture cost to them too and area of the manufactory based on how much culture/ppl you could be producing on that space. I think you could put in the level of your residences and see other parameters and then play around. The explanation was hard to follow, but after I played with it, I understood what the creator was trying to do and it did make sense as a decent way to guide planning of upgrades to maximize production (though it ignores things like having limited space).

I can't find this tool anymore and I want to check it out again. Does anyone know where it is or what it is called?

I did not find it on MinMax Gamer's site, but I bet MinMax knows about it and where to find it!

Shameless 'quote' written by Luther to get MinMax Gamer's attention

LutherTheHairy

Elven architect does the simple per tile breakdown of different types of buildings. This was a more complex calculator describing all buildings in terms of productivity per tile per required culture per tile to support it, whether the production is coins or goods or something else. I was focusing on goods, but I think it might have also had military building comparisons too.

LutherTheHairy

Elven architect does the simple per tile breakdown of different types of buildings.

This was a more complex calculator describing all buildings in terms of productivity per tile per required culture per tile to support it, whether the production is coins or goods or something else. I was focusing on goods, but I think it might have also had military building comparisons too.Thank you for your suggestion, but that was not it.

LutherTheHairy

Thank you, @MinMax Gamer, that is the one.

You put a lot of thought into this game and I put a lot of weight behind your words. I used your event calculator to optimize my journey through the Sorceror's Pilgrimage game board and I thank you for that.

I am considering using it to figure out how to optimize my goods production. When I look at the approach, I understand the logic. If I need a certain amount of residence (pop + coin), workshop and culture space to support a manufactory tile, then it shows me the highest per tile production manufactory level.

Assuming it was implemented properly(*) the shortcomings I see are

1. it does not account for special event buildings/wonders that provide combinations of culture and population and supplies and coins which could impact the calculation (though I see it does have a couple of wonders).
  2. It makes sense in a city without packaging constraints. In other words, all buildings are 1x1, there are no roads providing a baseline of culture that needs to be subtracted out of the calculation, and no other buildings sapping space/culture/population like Main Halls.
  3. It makes sense in a city without space constraints. I might need to sacrifice tile efficiency, (production per manufactory tile with residence, workshop and culture space taken into consideration) to boost absolute production to some level I need.
Are these the shortcomings you perceive? If there is nothing else, I think it still may be helpful to me for some limited early chapter optimization.What are your thoughts? What complaints have you heard from folks who have looked at it or tried to implements its recommendations?

(*) All calculations entered properly, and the model includes things like some reasonable assumption about what the barracks and trader are draining in terms of population and culture.

(The link allowed me to search the forums so I am inviting @Serrif, the claimed creator, into the conversation for their comments. According to elvenstats, they have been inactive for 18 months, so not a lot of hope there!)

Last edited:

Deleted User - 3932582

There are probably others, but #1 on this list is pretty big. I am yet to see any city older than a couple of months that would get pop density from residences alone. Golden Abyss, event buildings, magic residences etc all make calculations in this tool fairly useless. Absolute calculations of value of individual tile rarely make sense as there are just too many factors to calculate accurately. Calculations like that are useful when you compare 2 (sometimes more) different options - e.g. should I build EE L6, or a workshop of a particular level - in the same city. Because most of the parameters are the same (same city), you can assess which option is more efficient in that particular case.

And if you're in the early game, don't hang up too much on optimizing your city. Things would change with each event, chapter etc, sometimes quite dramatically. Once you get into mid-late game and the pace slows down, then more fine optimization may make sense.