• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Looking for new FS

Elfie51

Good morning. Looking for a new and active FS. I get on once a day in early mornings as I attend college full time. Looking for advice & suggestions to improve city. Thank you.

Huor

Good morning! Take a look at Outlander. We are an active group with cities from beginning to advanced cities. We can help you build up your city.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-31 11.04.41 PM-1.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-01-31 11.04.41 PM-1.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 33

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Okay, I looked at your two largest cities on E and C. Both have some basic needs to bring them up to as optimized and efficient as possible. To understand this you have to think in terms of how things grow. Either growth is "organic" or "planned." Organic simply means things are put where they can be put without regard to much planning. Most real world cities are organic and whatever planning is done, is done in localized settings ...a neighborhood here, a neighborhood there, and so on. A planned city, on the other hand, is very organized with real goals in mind. Industry is grouped together, parks are spread out, residential neighborhoods exist, and all kinds of zoning laws keep things organized so that you nice home isn't next to a paper mill and your kids don't have to cross fifteen railroad tracks on foot to get to a park.

Your cities are organic and need to be planned if your goal is to be efficient and productive. So here's how to do that.

1) Groups of buildings with similar functions should be placed together and, if they are alike in what the produce, be of the same size. Thus, any buildings producing tier one goods should be at the same level or nearly so. This means they are more likely to be of the same size and shape and thus easier to group. In addition, in this game you should only build your boosted goods. In both your cities you have build a lot of goods producing buildings that are not your boosted. It's best to produce as much as you can and use the surplus to trade for the un-boosted, something many of us forget or don't know about in the early game. So dump the goods producing buildings that are not boosted, make sure all the rest are at the same level and group them together.

2) Roads in you cities are at all kinds of levels. If you raise all of them to the highest level possible (Chapter 6 Dwarven Street, or chapter 7 Blossom street, depending on how far you are in chapter 7). This gives you maximum culture without taking any more space. And then, if the improvement is enough, you can actually dump some of the buildings that give you just culture.

3) Once you have grouped your production buildings so that the tier one boosted ones are grouped together, the tier 2 boosted are grouped together, and the tier 3 are grouped together, use the same idea for the Ancient Wonders as a group, the military production buildings and so on. One thing you can do is move all the buildings that don't need a road, into a group as well. In the long run you will find all this will reduce the number of roads you need and thus more space.

4) The goal, overall, is more space grouped into a larger area. Thus, the last thing you will need to do is probably make sure that the buildings that need a road connection are connected on the shortest side. A building that is 3x4 then, should have a road on one of the 3 sides, not the 4, and should have a road on only one side of it. This is not always possible but probably about 80-90 percent of the time you can do it. In the end, this also reduces the roads you need and you get...more space!

Finally, if you'd like me to arrange your city to demonstrate how all this might work, just name which city you'd like me to do. I do this all the time for people because I actually find it the most enjoyable part of the game for me. And having an example to which you can relate is probably a lot easier than reading all this verbiage, right? ;)

AJ

Fiona Selah

Okay, I looked at your two largest cities on E and C. Both have some basic needs to bring them up to as optimized and efficient as possible. To understand this you have to think in terms of how things grow. Either growth is "organic" or "planned." Organic simply means things are put where they can be put without regard to much planning. Most real world cities are organic and whatever planning is done, is done in localized settings ...a neighborhood here, a neighborhood there, and so on. A planned city, on the other hand, is very organized with real goals in mind. Industry is grouped together, parks are spread out, residential neighborhoods exist, and all kinds of zoning laws keep things organized so that you nice home isn't next to a paper mill and your kids don't have to cross fifteen railroad tracks on foot to get to a park.

Your cities are organic and need to be planned if your goal is to be efficient and productive. So here's how to do that.

1) Groups of buildings with similar functions should be placed together and, if they are alike in what the produce, be of the same size. Thus, any buildings producing tier one goods should be at the same level or nearly so. This means they are more likely to be of the same size and shape and thus easier to group. In addition, in this game you should only build your boosted goods. In both your cities you have build a lot of goods producing buildings that are not your boosted. It's best to produce as much as you can and use the surplus to trade for the un-boosted, something many of us forget or don't know about in the early game. So dump the goods producing buildings that are not boosted, make sure all the rest are at the same level and group them together.

2) Roads in you cities are at all kinds of levels. If you raise all of them to the highest level possible (Chapter 6 Dwarven Street, or chapter 7 Blossom street, depending on how far you are in chapter 7). This gives you maximum culture without taking any more space. And then, if the improvement is enough, you can actually dump some of the buildings that give you just culture.

3) Once you have grouped your production buildings so that the tier one boosted ones are grouped together, the tier 2 boosted are grouped together, and the tier 3 are grouped together, use the same idea for the Ancient Wonders as a group, the military production buildings and so on. One thing you can do is move all the buildings that don't need a road, into a group as well. In the long run you will find all this will reduce the number of roads you need and thus more space.

4) The goal, overall, is more space grouped into a larger area. Thus, the last thing you will need to do is probably make sure that the buildings that need a road connection are connected on the shortest side. A building that is 3x4 then, should have a road on one of the 3 sides, not the 4, and should have a road on only one side of it. This is not always possible but probably about 80-90 percent of the time you can do it. In the end, this also reduces the roads you need and you get...more space!

Finally, if you'd like me to arrange your city to demonstrate how all this might work, just name which city you'd like me to do. I do this all the time for people because I actually find it the most enjoyable part of the game for me. And having an example to which you can relate is probably a lot easier than reading all this verbiage, right? ;)

AJ
That was very kind of you AJ!

senate7

Good morning. Looking for a new and active FS. I get on once a day in early mornings as I attend college full time. Looking for advice & suggestions to improve city. Thank you.
Hello Elfie, if you still are looking, come on over to Just Chillin, I also have an ad in the Fellowships Seeking and you can contact us or join directly. Hope to hear from you

SparkleMunchica

Hello Elfie, if you still are looking, come on over to Just Chillin, I also have an ad in the Fellowships Seeking and you can contact us or join directly. Hope to hear from you

Elfie51

AJ
Good morning. Sorry it took so long to respond. Are you with the FS that I just joined? If so that would be great, I find it hard to do for me.

In both your cities you have build a lot of goods producing buildings that are not your boosted. It's best to produce as much as you can and use the surplus to trade for the un-boosted, something many of us forget or don't know about in the early game.
This advice keeps coming up. But it seems to be a "in a perfect world" scenario. I'd say count your blessings if your city is in a fellowship/neighborhood where this is reliable.
In my cities (lower chapter), I produce unboosted goods. Because neighborhood trading zones and fellowships are not perfectly balanced having excesses/shortages of particular trade goods. Also, I have no control over what or when other players post or accept trades. Waiting a day (days?) or resorting to the wholesale trader is not preferable to producing unboosted goods. I am frequently glad I don't have to rely on trades for all my unboosted goods, esp scrolls.
In point of fact I started out "boosted only." But, I found myself adding unboosted good production as trades simply weren't available in a timely fashion or at all. I always checked with the trader 1st when posting trades for my boosted goods and it just didn't work out. Maybe when I reach a higher chapter (not early game), I will have more resources and change my ways.

Elfie51

Thank you for all for your suggestions/insights. I did join a FS. But not sure which way is actually best for me.

Alram

Flippers just flip
@Ash Splinterwood
It sounds like you need a new fellowship with players who are a little more active than your current one. I won't say more here since I don't want to derail Elfie's thread. Perhaps consider creating a thread of your own and we can all jump right in. :)

Elfie51

I just joined up this week but all I can do is go by what people say. Hard to tell if the FS is actually active or not until you join and find out for yourself. You can say whatever you want on this thread since I started it. So I am all ears. Just want to do what is best for me and get the help I need that way I can be able to help the FS better.

@Ash Splinterwood
It sounds like you need a new fellowship with players who are a little more active than your current one. I won't say more here since I don't want to derail Elfie's thread. Perhaps consider creating a thread of your own and we can all jump right in. :)
Thanks, but no. I am happy with my current activity level. I think it is a good match with rest of the fellowship.

I just joined up this week but all I can do is go by what people say. Hard to tell if the FS is actually active or not until you join and find out for yourself. You can say whatever you want on this thread since I started it. So I am all ears. Just want to do what is best for me and get the help I need that way I can be able to help the FS better.
In case you don't know about it. Elvenstats is useful for screening fellowships and its members before you join.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
This advice keeps coming up. But it seems to be a "in a perfect world" scenario. I'd say count your blessings if your city is in a fellowship/neighborhood where this is reliable.
In my cities (lower chapter), I produce unboosted goods. Because neighborhood trading zones and fellowships are not perfectly balanced having excesses/shortages of particular trade goods. Also, I have no control over what or when other players post or accept trades. Waiting a day (days?) or resorting to the wholesale trader is not preferable to producing unboosted goods. I am frequently glad I don't have to rely on trades for all my unboosted goods, esp scrolls.
In point of fact I started out "boosted only." But, I found myself adding unboosted good production as trades simply weren't available in a timely fashion or at all. I always checked with the trader 1st when posting trades for my boosted goods and it just didn't work out. Maybe when I reach a higher chapter (not early game), I will have more resources and change my ways.

As noted above, by going to elvenstats.com and putting the fellowship into the search of the fellowship tab, then examining the fellowship it gives you a good idea of how many active players there are, how blanced their production is, and so on. I've never found a person joining an active and balanced fellowship who had to then keep his/her non-boosted buildings. I did, when I started, try that approach (because I didn't join an fs for about 1.5 years) but the minute I joined Active Traders (now Starship Valiant) I kicked myself for not doing it sooner.

AJ

Alram

Flippers just flip
It will probably be great. But if it isn't, pop back over here and look up all these lovely people who were interested. FS have openings regularly. It might take a few tries to get a good fit.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Thanks, but no. I am happy with my current activity level. I think it is a good match with rest of the fellowship.
Your activity level is not the one in question in this scenario. It's your fellows. You can survive a desert map if you are in a functional fellowship, but you are probably rage quitting if you're not. The fellowship should first and foremost help with trades, even before talking about other group activities like tourney, Spire, and FA. If everyone in my FS is trying to make their own unboosted goods, then I see that as a red flag to steer away, in the same way I would when I see black triangles littering Elvenstats. The most precious commodity in the game is real estate. Making your own unboosted goods means dedicating a crazy amount of real estate, culture, and population to the endeavor. It's burdening yourself with a lot of excess baggage, which would be heavier and heavier to carry as you continue to chapter with ever increasing demand and expenses. If your boosted factories are gobbling up 300+ population per upgrade level, think how much space you'll now need for residences just to support those unboosted factories of the same level.

Once you've maxed out your relic boost, then you will be producing your boosted goods at a rate of 7x your unboosted goods.

Say you make 7000 boosted goods every 3hrs, which means only 1000 unboosted goods in the same time. Suppose you collected 4x one day. You've now made 28,000 boosted goods, but only 4,000 unboosted goods in that same 12 hr period. The goal is to trade all that boosted goods and turn them into unboosted goods. *click click* You've listed a trade for 28,000 goods. Now, to make the same 28,000 unboosted goods yourself, you'd have to run your unboosted factories for that 12 hr cycle 7 more times, or 3.5 more days. Therefore, your boosted goods can sit in the trader for even 3 days and it would STILL be faster to trade for it than making it yourself, AND you would have produced 3.5 days worth of more boosted goods to keep or further trade out in that time, all without tying up your real estate, culture, or pop! Reminder: If you do not see the trade combo you are looking for, list the trades yourself! Do not window shop.

Also, in a FS with healthy trade, the balance of boosted goods becomes less of an issue. Heck, I've intentionally tried to stifle marble players trying to enter my FS for the fun of it because I wanted to commit to the joke that we're gonna make one person make all our marble.