• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Looking to buy a used Macbook

Gkyr

Chef
Seriously. Can't spend full price.
I live in a world where half the graphics sent to me are Mac formatted and half are in Windows.
I was able to update my PC out of need. Now I need to update my out-of-memory old Macbook but cannot afford new Apple-level prices.
Pro or Air are good.
With or able to support Big Sur OS.
8 Gb RAM KK, 16 better
512 Gb storage, min.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Are you talking about the HEIC photo format taken by iPhones and iPads? I can’t think of what other format is OSX/iOS specific. The other formats that used to require QuickTime are not in use much anymore. Similarly, the Windows specific formats have not really caught on either. Both have gone to more standard video non-platform specific formats. The good news is if you are talking about HEIC, then you can save yourself some money because you can get the “HEIF Image Extensions” from the Windows Store, which is free. Then you should be able to see the thumbnails and view them by clicking on them like any other photo formats once installed.

Gkyr

Chef
Tried that. The issue is inserting vids into a PP (powerpoint, not portal profit) presentation, both Mac-derived and PC-derived and having them function flawlessly on my hosts' setup, regardless of PC version. As far as Linux is concerned, don't even go there.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Ahh, ok. In that case, you’d have to convert HEIC images to .jpg and HEVC videos to .mp4 first. The images take no time at all and there are many free softwares to handle it. The video might take longer, but .mp4 is accepted by PowerPoint and plays natively on OSX and Windows. Alternatively, possibly easier as well as keeping the file size of the PP itself down, you could also upload the video to YouTube and embed the YouTube video into PowerPoint. You can change the privacy on the video to not be public. Though, in this scenario, the host computer would need internet access.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Yeah, instead of spending (even used) about 3 times the price for (maybe) 10% better average quality hardware (the OS isn't any more stable then Windows because if Windows wasn't so dominant the hackers/viruses would be aimed at the Apple OS instead of the Microsoft OS, and hacking/virus/ransomeware, etc. are the major cause of instability, not the OS itself), you might just get a good video converter and run with that. While Apple would like everyone to believe they are the standard in everything graphical, those days are pretty much past as the Internet has driven the industry to the more broadly based Windows compatible video standards exactly because fewer businesses are willing to spend 3 times the price for the same product. I've converted probably 15 graphics companies from Apple based to Windows based graphic and it's just not that hard and they have noticed little to no real problems even with their "Fapplnatics." And they love the much lower prices and competition.

Another options, though it's tough, is to make a "Hackintosh" -- a PC running on non-Apple platform. Apple is against it and it says in the EULA that you cannot to it...but what they mean is that if you do you are on your own. I've done it a couple of times and it's tricky, but can be done.

Just my thoughts on the matter. I do hope I haven't ignited any PC/Apple wars. I do have an Apple and I do use it with my various other devices, including Linux, Windows, Android, and even Chrome, so I'm not saying Apple is not as good as Windows or anything else. I just think it's way overpriced for what you get and too controlling of your actions once you get it.

AJ