• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Losing Troops I Don't Use When Fighting

Lemon Wren

I'm not sure if I'm simply unobservant here or if this is a bug, but for a while now I've felt like I'm having a hard time keeping troop numbers up.

Then today in one of my cities I noticed that when I entered five Light Ranged Units and hit auto fight for this week's tourney, when I went to the next round I had lost some LRU, of course, but I had also lost troops in the categories I didn't use at all.

Kept checking after every round and it happened every round. It also happened in at least two different cities (both SA) that I have two different accounts for.

I've entered a ticket, but is this a bug or I've just never noticed before? (Been playing since early 2021, so lol if this is always how it's been).

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
If you’re checking the numbers from the troop selection screen, are you sure it’s not just that the squad numbers are being recalculated for each new province? Each tourney province (and star) the squad size increases, so it may look like you’re losing troops when it’s actually just your unchanged base number of units being counted in a larger squad size.

That’s my best guess, anyway. :) If the numbers of unused troops are changing in your barracks (/mercenary camp/training grounds), then it’s definitely a bug.

Lemon Wren

If you’re checking the numbers from the troop selection screen, are you sure it’s not just that the squad numbers are being recalculated for each new province?

Haha, nope ! I'm not sure, and yes that's the number I was looking at.

Each tourney province (and star) the squad size increases, so it may look like you’re losing troops when it’s actually just your unchanged base number of units being counted in a larger squad size.

I don't understand this at all, but I'm generally bad at numbers so I'll take your word for it. :)

That’s my best guess, anyway. :) If the numbers of unused troops are changing in your barracks (/mercenary camp/training grounds), then it’s definitely a bug.

I'll check the base numbers the next time I log in and play. Thanks for the help!

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Haha, nope ! I'm not sure, and yes that's the number I was looking at.

I don't understand this at all, but I'm generally bad at numbers so I'll take your word for it. :)
Lol! No worries, it’s confusing. :D The troops you train are trained as individual units, and then a squad is made up of a set number of those units. So if you have trained 3000 Cerberuses, for example, and your Squad Size from the last tech you did is 2278, then you have 1.3 squads of Cerberuses for normal use.
The confusing thing here is that the squad sizes used in tournaments are not the same as the squad sizes you research and use on the World Map. Tourney SS is determined for each player by a secret formula based on your expansions placed, techs researched, etc. It starts off small and tilted in your favour, (i.e., the enemy has much smaller squads than you do) so you have a huge numbers advantage in the first few provinces against the enemy and very small SSs overall (e.g., your SS for the first province, first star, might only be 150, so your 3000 Cerberuses now show as 20 squads).
Every extra province you do, the numbers are recalculated, slightly less in your favour and with increased SSs (in the third province, first star, your squad size might be more like 320, so now your same 3000 Cerberuses only show as 9.3 squads, while in the 20th province, first star, the SS might be up to 5000, so your poor Cerberuses only make up .6 of a squad at that level).
Each star also slightly increases the squad size, so the second star of any province will have larger SSs and a less favorable ratio of your troops to the enemy’s than the first star of that same province did, and so on.

Does that help at all, or did I further confuse the issue? :D
*all squad numbers made up for examples off the top of my head and do not reflect actual difficulties of relative provinces! ;)
I'll check the base numbers the next time I log in and play. Thanks for the help!
You’re welcome. Hope you get it all sorted out, either way! :)

Lemon Wren

Lol! No worries, it’s confusing. :D The troops you train are trained as individual units, and then a squad is made up of a set number of those units. So if you have trained 3000 Cerberuses, for example, and your Squad Size from the last tech you did is 2278, then you have 1.3 squads of Cerberuses for normal use.
The confusing thing here is that the squad sizes used in tournaments are not the same as the squad sizes you research and use on the World Map. Tourney SS is determined for each player by a secret formula based on your expansions placed, techs researched, etc. It starts off small and tilted in your favour, (i.e., the enemy has much smaller squads than you do) so you have a huge numbers advantage in the first few provinces against the enemy and very small SSs overall (e.g., your SS for the first province, first star, might only be 150, so your 3000 Cerberuses now show as 20 squads).
Every extra province you do, the numbers are recalculated, slightly less in your favour and with increased SSs (in the third province, first star, your squad size might be more like 320, so now your same 3000 Cerberuses only show as 9.3 squads, while in the 20th province, first star, the SS might be up to 5000, so your poor Cerberuses only make up .6 of a squad at that level).
Each star also slightly increases the squad size, so the second star of any province will have larger SSs and a less favorable ratio of your troops to the enemy’s than the first star of that same province did, and so on.

Does that help at all, or did I further confuse the issue? :D
*all squad numbers made up for examples off the top of my head and do not reflect actual difficulties of relative provinces! ;)

You’re welcome. Hope you get it all sorted out, either way! :)

I had to beat back the circus music that began playing in my head as I read that, but yes! It does make sense. And yes, I've apparently just overlooked that diminishing number for over two years of tournaments, lol!