• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

lost neighbors

DeletedUser613

it seems I lost more than half my neighbors. are they going to be replaced?

DeletedUser

People get deleted after 30 days without activity.

The empty spots they leave behind get filled in as new people start playing the game. Be patient, and be sure to welcome your new neighbors when they show up - they might be more likely to stay active if you do!

DeletedUser511

Hopefully they get filled with people that want to tick to it or we will have another 30 days to wait for more.

DeletedUser

They are not getting filled. I am down 28 neighbors and have gaping holes in my discovered territory. I get canned responses from support and no new neighbors. New people are joining the game every day. Where are they going? I am losing over 302K every day and I get is " please be patient. We can't influence the development team"
How long do we have to wait until those spots that we worked to discover get refilled? It's been months now since my first neighbors disappeared.

DeletedUser482

I play on both Arendyll and Winyandor servers. At a stage of the game on Arendyll, as an elf player, I too have huge gaps around my city. I think that the Fellowships have arrived just in time to save the game from being shut down, because if you can get at least 18 players into your fellowship, you can all visit each other, leave coins and polish culture items.

Arendyll has massive wasteland areas now, where inactive players have been deleted. Some of the players have gone over to Winyandor and abandoned their other cities. In Winyandor, my (human) game is moving quickly because I set up a fellowship with a catchy name and 25 people joined. Here on Arendyll, my fellowship only has 9 players and it takes twice as long to build up coins.

I hope a few more players appear on Arendyll's map, or some of us will lose our cities here whether we want to abandon them or not.

DeletedUser

Indeed, one solution is to move to the new world. I've done that myself because spending a lot of time on Arendyll has become tedious. I'm sure it is a only a matter of time though before half the cities on Winyandor disappear.

There are still huge gaps in my city in Arendyll and huge gaps in the area just beyond my discovered lands. However, If I move 5 to 10 spaces beyond my discovered lands, there are no gaps in any direction. It indicates that the developers are still not re-filling lands fairly and probably never will.

DeletedUser61

there are no gaps in any direction. It indicates that the developers are still not re-filling lands fairly and probably never will.
Or it indicates that those cities were established less that 30 days ago, and simply haven't had time to age out.

If you click on the rank number in your profile, you can then scroll to the bottom of the list and note that the player's score is ZERO. Now visit their city and note that they are ALREADY on the world map.

Now scroll up the rank list, and you'll be DISMAYED by how many zero there are. Fully half of the new players haven't even built a second residence, which would be indicated by an underlying score of 22 points. Bump and Runs are a tough problem to deal with, even with the best of intentions, so we need to cut the developers a bit more slack.

My fundamental point is that your FELLOWS are your primary partners for trading and polishing. Your neighbors are an extra, occasional benefit. If you have some active neighbors, well and good, but they're gravy.

Our reality is a new Free-To-Play browser game, with a LOT of looky loos, and wishing that it were otherwise simply isn't realistic. As well you know, that's the way it is in FoE, and we're dealing with a similar demographic.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I don't know how to explain this any clearer to you Katwijk. Those new players are going somewhere. Where are they going? Not every player that joins is a bump and run, so where are those other players going? Where are any of them going?
They are going somewhere but they are not being distributed fairly. Not one of those players has been placed around me or in my territory in the past two months since they were first taken away.

You consider neighbors as gravy, well good for you. I would like my neighbors back. I visit neighbors along with the people in my fellowship. That's how I play the game.

This is what I've been saying all along, that I want to know why cities aren't added back in fairly, and no one can answer this question except the developers who do not post answers in this thread.

DeletedUser61

The population distribution, on the Winyandor world map, forms a giant hexagon. It appears that new cities are assigned using a clockwise spiral that begins at the center of the map.

Let's look at the Winyandor world map where most, if not all, of the city sectors are still occupied. The map population is distributed in a giant hexagon.
  • fabmaster is on the upper right vertex, at the end of the 05 after minute hand
  • BrokenArrow is on the mid right vertex, at the end of the 15 after minute hand
  • .Birch. is on the lower right vertex, at the end of the 25 after minute hand
  • stefaniiJones is on the lower left vertex, at the end of the 35 after minute hand
  • death69 is on the mid left vertex, at the end of the 45 after minute hand
  • GigiWA is on the upper left vertex, at the end of the 55 after minute hand

• jgutkosky is at, or very near, the center of the Winyandor world map.
    The top and bottom edges have 104 cities and, given that a hexagon devolves into equilateral triangles,
    the center is 104 cities from the left and right vertexes.
  • Tarty Whoohoo is near the end of the 8 o'clock hour hand.
  • Katwijk is is near the end of the 17 after minute hand
  • Cerulean is the most recent new city, at the end of the 20 after minute hand
Now that we have some anchor cities in the Winyandor world map, we'll be able to follow the action as cities are removed and replaced.

I expect to find that the oldest cities will be nearest the center of the map, and for the first couple of iterations age WILL represent physical location. HOWEVER, as our world matures there will be less and less of a correlation between age and physical location, and after a few months the distribution of inactive cities, subject to removal, will approach a random distribution.

I'll post a similar analysis for Arendyll tomorrow. My guess is that the Arendyll world map will be a lot more moth eaten.

DeletedUser

I think you know what I mean by the word "fairly". I'm not going to debate this any further with you. This is something the developers should be revealing to us.

DeletedUser61

Actually, defining "fairly" is the crux of the problem. It's by no means a trivial concept.

The Arendyll map is an interesting giant hexagon. The top and bottom edge has around 180 cities, and there's a solid center of around 90 city rings, 40 rings of moth eaten rings, and finally 50 rings of cities that have not yet aged out.
  • Llanella is on the upper right vertex, at the end of the 05 after minute hand
  • Onez is on the mid right vertex, at the end of the 15 after minute hand
  • Lilybella is on the lower right vertex, at the end of the 25 after minute hand
  • JAT535 is on the lower left vertex, at the end of the 35 after minute hand
  • Apple the Destroyer is on the mid left vertex, at the end of the 45 after minute hand
  • Xxxanadu is on the upper left vertex, at the end of the 55 after minute hand

• Dhraga is at, or very near, the center of the Arendyll world map.
    The top and bottom edges have 180 cities and, given that a hexagon devolves into equilateral triangles,
    the center is 180 cities from the left and right vertexes.
  • Katwijk is is near the end of the 2 o'clock hour hand
  • Tarty Whoohoo is near the end of the 4 o'clock hour hand.
  • xaviersxmen is near the end of the 7 o'clock hour hand.
My expectation is that new players, as they become available, will be added in a clockwise spiral, and several hundred cities have already been replaced, near the center of the map. The "dead zone" will continue to move out toward the fringes of the map, as inactive cities age out.

If you want to run some of the geometry numbers for the cities hexagon, I've been using
http://rechneronline.de/pi/hexagon.php

DeletedUser

What does where I am located on the map and where someone else is located on the map have to do with replacing neighbors fairly?
Yeah, we can look at the geometry of the map, find the holes, and discuss the pretty tessellations. I'm glad you're enjoying your speculations as to what the developers might do. What does that have actually have to do with the fact that the developers are dumping new neighbors in one place instead of randomly around the map?

DeletedUser511

By the time they get to the other side they will be filling up the other side again. It really dont seem right they need to rethink this.

DeletedUser61

The replacement zone is NOT side to side, it's ring by ring, center to fringes.

I'd much rather have plenty of neighbors, or very few, rather than always limping along at 50%.

Looking at the world map, from 30,000 feet, shows WHERE the current replacement zone is located. Some of us have been through it, some of us are going through it, and some of us have yet to go through it.

The current Yes-No-Yes arrangement is a mere consequence of this being the initial iteration. Once we've been through a couple of cycles, the inactive users WILL be scattered around the map, and the replacements will indeed be fairly random.

It so happens that I'd prefer optimization of the world map to be something that's strategically interesting, but we don't HAVE that yet, so it's best to be aware of what we DO have, right now, and proceed accordingly.

Randomize and Optimize are antonyms, and I'd MUCH rather have neighborhoods that are active and optimized, even if it takes a couple of months for the current procedure to accomplish that goal.

DeletedUser

By the time they get to the other side they will be filling up the other side again. It really dont seem right they need to rethink this.
That's true.
I did have a few new neighbors show up this morning-- not in any spiral mind you. It gives me hope that I will get more soon before an equal or greater number disappear again.