• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Make battlefield layout visible on mobile app

Raccon

Hi, as you know auto fight is the only option for mobile users. However; it would be a great help if the battle field layout could be viewed before auto fight began so that the player could place the right troops in more appropriate locations on the battle field.

Imagine if you placed light melee to face an enemy with mostly archers and get annihilated simply because you couldn't see your side of battlefield was mostly blocked by obstacles and mortars would be a better option for that particular terrain.

Thanks

defiantoneks

completely agree. a "preview" or "see battlefield" button would be awesome. right now on desktop you can get that by adding, then starting a manual battle and retreat if you see that you are at disadvantage. mobile users just have to get hammered and lose squads.

Huor

Imagine if you placed light melee to face an enemy with mostly archers and get annihilated simply because you couldn't see your side of battlefield was mostly blocked by obstacles and mortars would be a better option for that particular terrain.

I used to always auto fight on mobile until something like that happened to me. Been manual fighting ever since, but they should allow you to see the layout. Very, very unfair advantage for the enemy troops.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
troop mobile current.png

troop mobileafter.png

Like that but prettier?
preview2.png

Raccon

I miss lots of tournament battles simply because I have to wait until I got home for manual fight, and manual fights take a lot more time to finish. If I could at least see the terrain I would be able to place right troops in better locations and auto fight more tournament encounters as oppose to spend more time = less tournament encounters on manual battles.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Well, I think we might as well request that map preview is visible to all platforms at army selection menu instead of just mobile. Browser players pick units without terrain knowledge currently too. They only see it if they manual fight.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@SoggyShorts and @Yogi Dave there was another thread maybe some time last year where either one of you, or was it someone else, posted mocked up screenshots like that as a preview of battles on mobile? I could swear it was voted on, but I can't remember the results of that thread and now I can't seem to find it here. But if one of you did post in that thread, it should be in your posting history.

SoggyShorts

@SoggyShorts and @Yogi Dave there was another thread maybe some time last year where either one of you, or was it someone else, posted mocked up screenshots like that as a preview of battles on mobile? I could swear it was voted on, but I can't remember the results of that thread and now I can't seem to find it here. But if one of you did post in that thread, it should be in your posting history.
The pics were Yogis and the to-scale mock-ups using them were mine. I believe you are right about the thread, I'll look

Yogi Dave

Doesn't hurt to poke them again. I'll vote for it.

Edit to include: Besides the simple graphic for an empty arena that only needs to be downloaded once, it only takes 1 bit for each hex to show an obstacle or not. That's only 63 bits of info that needs to be sent with each battle. I don't care if they show what I'm placing or what the enemy is placing. Keep it very simple for the devs.

SoggyShorts

Hmmm my mock-ups aren't in that thread and the files are from Dec 17, 2020, so I guess this much have come up again just before Christmas?

Yogi Dave

Would really like to see battle preview in mobile. Vote to (poke them again) ask nicely where it is on the 2do list.
The devs are only given the top post, so they won't see any of the discussion. It's also why the top post needs to be written to convince the devs, not us. We just try to help develop the idea. This link explains how to present the info for them:

@Raccon, you may want to look at it and reformat your post to conform to this, or maybe @helya will remind them of it (hint, hint).

BTW, my post was before the drastic change in the tourney. When that came out, this seemed like such a no brainer that it might be prioritized. How silly of me to think that way. My hope was dashed in the rocks of reality. :(

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
We've tried forwarding this already once and I couldn't get buy-in from the other CMs, I'm happy to give it another shot if you'd like.

Yogi Dave

Seems strange to me they wouldn't buy-in, unless it's because it was sent through last June. I was about to make some of the arguments made in the original thread. It seems so obvious this would help mobile players the most, though as a browser player, I'd like it too. So, yeah. I think it's worth a shot again. Maybe Soggy's pics will help.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@helya I would assume there is a limited number of terrain layouts for all fights, yes? Or is there some more random generation of obstacles on the battle maps? If there is a set number of layouts, maybe a full set of screenshots of them all could be added to the Wiki and then each one assigned a number or letter that could then be included with each fight? Say if there are 20 of them and they are numbered 1-20 and when you enter a fight, the intro screen here you choose your troops could say something really simple, like map 1 or map 18, and mobile players could go look at the Wiki for the layout and set their troops accordingly? I am no good at properly formatting suggestion threads, so if someone else wants to try and make this work in a new thread, go for it.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Seems strange to me they wouldn't buy-in, unless it's because it was sent through last June. I was about to make some of the arguments made in the original thread. It seems so obvious this would help mobile players the most, though as a browser player, I'd like it too. So, yeah. I think it's worth a shot again. Maybe Soggy's pics will help.
I agree with you, but I added it to the suggestions 2 cycles in a row, and it didn't make it in the top 3.

@helya I would assume there is a limited number of terrain layouts for all fights, yes? Or is there some more random generation of obstacles on the battle maps?
I do not have an answer for you on this one. I manual fight a lot and I feel like the maps are often similar, but I'm not sure if that's just me.