• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Map Related Issues

Katwick

Cartographer
Once upon a time I posted as Katwijk, but life interfered and he's now DeletedUser61, which isn't searchable.

https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/locate-your-city.4876/ is an example of the kind of research that I enjoy. The city move issue has pretty much been fixed, quite nicely, but a straightforward discussion is still needed.

Relic distribution, on the other hand, hasn't been well explained, although it's a pretty simple 3x9 hexagonal tessellation. Just as a sample, although diagrams will help a lot:
1) Print a hexagonal grid
2) Start a 9 hex column with City 1, (which will be Marble, Crystal, Elixir)
3) Create a city pattern of
4) Immediately above each city place a relic square in the usual Marble - Gems sequence.
5) Fill in the three empty squares in each column such that any vertical sequence of 5 (tessellated) hexes has two cities and all three Relics for that column.
6) That's it - a complete definition of relic locations. The rest of the map simply repeats a diagonal 3x9 tesselation.

(Illustrations will help a lot.)

Soooo, is there a slot for a Scrollmaster who is interested in map-related issues?

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
It's mostly a "quit your bitching" issue, as each of the 9 different cities are identically balanced. BUT, the Magic Academy and the Relic Bonuses DO depend on particular Relics, soooo, if you want to produce a lot of Combining Catalyst, or boost your Marble production, which sectors should you be scouting and completing, and where are they???

Trade is closely related. Would it be advantageous for a couple of Fellowship members to produce fewer of X and more of Y? Boosted goods are a start, but each member would likely be happy to tune their city a bit, as it just makes it that much easier to trade their stuff.

Last edited:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
It's mostly a "quit your bitching" issue, as each of the 9 different cities are identically balanced. BUT, the Magic Academy and the Relic Bonuses DO depend on particular Relics, soooo, if you want to produce a lot of Combining Catalyst, or boost your Marble production, which sectors should you be scouting and completing, and where are they???

Trade is closely related. Would it be advantageous for a couple of Fellowship members to produce fewer of X and more of Y? Boosted goods are a start, but each member would likely be happy to tune their city a bit, as it just makes it that much easier to trade their stuff.
Very interesting! I never even really thought about this to be honest!

Katwick

Cartographer
Two Thirds of the (mostly non-fellowship) players in your neighborhood will need one or more of your boosted goods. Rather than just blowing through the world map visitations, figure out who your potential trading partners might be. It can be quite beneficial for BOTH of you to place an extra boosted building, and then routinely fair trade the boosted goods.

Likewise, if somebody is offering lots of XXX for YYY, and you need lots of YYY for XXX, encourage a routine fair trade and simply avoid the related chokepoints. And if a third player "takes" one of the fair trades, so much the better.

Last edited:

StarLoad

Two Thirds of the (mostly non-fellowship) players in your neighborhood will need one or more of your boosted goods. Rather than just blowing through the world map visitations, figure out who your potential trading partners might be. It can be quite beneficial for BOTH of you to place an extra boosted building, and then routinely fair trade the boosted goods.

Likewise, if somebody is offering lots of XXX for YYY, and you need lots of YYY for XXX, encourage a routine fair trade and simply avoid the related chokepoints. And if a third player "takes" one of the fair trades, so much the better.
That sounds to me more like "hey you should play the game this way". I know thats not what you mean, but many/some will take it that way.

Ed

Katwick

Cartographer
The first step is understanding what's feasible.

Let's see:
1) You can use the wholesaler, at 3 times the value, or even more if you need multiple increments
2) You can HOPE somebody posts a trade
3) You can swap boost for boost

I'm not aware of anybody who recommends building non-boosted units

But it's like any other contract.
Mutual advantage is the Magic sauce.

Katwick

Cartographer
It's a worthy subject, for sure. It seems a pity that so many folks just throw money and resources at the resource bottlenecks.

Most neighborhoods now have a lot of active cities, and anything that we can do that tempts the long-term players to take a fresh look at trading, will be good for the game.

There are still several active threads about Map Centers, but I'm pretty sure that same energy would be better devoted toward understanding and optimizing trading patterns, which would yield vibrant local neighborhoods.

There's a half-hearted Relics thread at https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/available-provinces.26844/post-211007, but the underlying pattern has never been clearly explained, nor have we, as a community, ever reexamined our newly healthy local neighborhoods.

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
Trading is actually the easy part.

The hard part is understanding where and how to FIND and develop your natural trading partners, rather than throwing money and resources at the Goods/Boosts/Relics "imbalance problem."

StarLoad

Trading is actually the easy part.

The hard part is understanding where and how to FIND and develop your natural trading partners, rather than throwing money and resources at the Goods/Boosts/Relics "imbalance problem."
OK so back to the original question, how does this relate to maps in a way a layman can understand. And all the trading advice could easily be covered in the gameplay section.

Ed

Katwick

Cartographer
If you'll permit a conceptual telescope, Elvenstats.com could have an additional section for each player's Ideal Trading Partners.

If you look at the tournament sites each week, you'll notice a strong upper left to lower right pattern. If a combat player would like to tuck in a couple of additional sectors before the next tournament, where should they scout?

There are plenty of other examples of map related optimizations. The current gameplay section seems to be mostly Do Theses and Do Thats, aimed at newer players. I'm more interested in helping established players understand how the map affects their gameplay.

StarLoad

I get your point but if a player is established enough and past the "orc wall" would they not know that next week is Scrolls and to open available scrolls provinces? What if they are a Catering only player and not Combat?

I tell all my FS mates to use the "province overview tab" and scout from the top down so they maintain the "circular pattern" rather than poking out in one direction.

Take no offense, but you are mixing trading and map positioning and scouting and as a result, I personally can't see the advantage but if other players can see it please pop in and elucidate me.

Ed

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/ideal-trading-partners.31347/

Perhaps we can get you curious about how the map is structured, and which neighbors can offer mutually desirable trades.
I’ve read all of this and honestly it’s all what a Fellowship is for . This is where the players get the true meaning of what a Fellowship is for .
Perhaps Inno needs a **No Snowflake ** sign … Some things in the game you have to do. Some things aren’t always easy. It’s a game of challenge with each move you make. You make Allie’s with your world peeps and you use your Fellowship, that’s what it’s for.
To me …. And this is just my opinion… When you start manipulating and dissecting things , like a game … you end up with 4 people making up an entire Fellowship acting like they are 25 people … always being the top performers ..but In reality they are not. This isn’t right and it’s not what Inno intended.

Gkyr

Chef
Let's see:
1) You can use the wholesaler, at 3 times the value, or even more if you need multiple increments
2) You can HOPE somebody posts a trade
3) You can swap boost for boost
There is a niche catering strategy that might have to be included in any discussion about resources. One player claims 700% culture bonus using 50 4-day-long EE spells per week made possible by maxed out LGN, BTG, GBS(elf:CL), and PT. This requires 50 small culture buildings to act as help targets and, in turn, visiting about 300 neighbors per day. To quote them in part:

The thing that drives the strategy is multiplicative effects. 700% culture bonus x 300% Power of provision is a lot of supplies. Then adding in 470% off the wholesaler and that is about 100x what nominal workshops would produce in a nominal wholesaler. Nothing with troops comes near to that. Of course, nominally no one would use the wholesaler at all.

I have not tried this out, so I cannot vouch for the success of it. This seems to be resource-driven (to the exclusion of troops?).