• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Marble No Longer Needed?

Lemon Wren

It takes me a long while to notice stuff, but I finally noticed that in every city trader, the predominate asks are for Steel and Scrolls, followed by Wood. Marble is rarely asked for and then, of course, 50,000bazillion asks from Gems, and to a lesser extent, Dust and Elixer folks wanting to trade for almost anything in a lower tier.

I'm glad I'm in good FS's and/or have some good neighbors because, as a Mostly Marble city player I'd be in a tough spot to move marble.

The Great Endless Scroll Disaster predates my time in the game, so I have to ask - is the Pilgrim's Manor at play here? (I used that last artifact prize to get the missing Steel component so I have that in my main city now, but of course it means even more Marble for me, haha.)

fry.jpg

Iyapo1

It could just be that you have players like me around you. I accept every single 2 star same tier trade I see in the market if at all possible, that way no one has to wait to get a trade picked up. It usually balances out over the course of the day. You offer marble, I take it...the neighbors I have that cant see you without a fee ask for marble I give it. The bigger my neighborhood gets the easier it is for me to facilitate trades in my neighborhood to help players get around the fee.

But it leaves slim pickings behind. Just cross tier, zero star, one star, trade spammers, some three star same tier, and those trades to big for me to swallow. If you dont see trades asking for marble, think of me, and dont panic!

Last edited:

Lady Dastardly

I'd be in a tough spot to move marble.
I think it's actually the other way around. If you don't see trades for a good it's usually because they get picked up quickly. As a scrolls boosted player from before the moonstone library fix, it's the same tier trades that sit in the trader that are a more accurate guage of what goods are hard to move. At this point though, I'm not seeing any same tier trades sit for long. Steel is maybe a little more scarce, but even my trades for that get picked up in a few hours at the most.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I think it's actually the other way around. If you don't see trades for a good it's usually because they get picked up quickly. As a scrolls boosted player from before the moonstone library fix, it's the same tier trades that sit in the trader that are a more accurate guage of what goods are hard to move. At this point though, I'm not seeing any same tier trades sit for long. Steel is maybe a little more scarce, but even my trades for that get picked up in a few hours at the most.

This is one of the problems with making generalizations about trade based upon what you see in your trader. My wife's fellowship, she tells me, never trades, but when she posts trades they take them immediately. What? If they never trade, I suggested, why do they take your trade post haste? "Because I'm me and everybody likes me," she replied. I had to agree. LOL. In reality her fellowship is so good she never sees trades because they ALL go quickly. So they are masters at trading. My fs is the same way. I seldom see many trades because they disappear almost instantly.

So in the end the same principle applies and you might be right. Marble just goes faster than every thing else.

On another note, whatever imbalances appear they will generally work themselves out as things progress. All the gems for T1/T2 trades I saw a few weeks ago have become less and less as those trying to dump gems have cut back on production, dumped their excess and/or built T1 and T2 production to balance their cites more. That's pretty much how it works.

And finally, another thought. If you take a trade that is offering a good that is in short supply at a 2 star rate for something at the same tier that is over abundant, you are shorting yourself. 2 star assumes all goods on the same tier are of equal value. Supply/demand says otherwise.

Supply/demand would suggest you make the trade more balanced by adjusting for the supply/demand of each good. In other words, you'd avoid 2 star trades between scarce goods and abundant goods since 2 star would not reflect what you could get for your offer of scarce goods, the true "market value" of the goods being offered, before the intangible values are added by the actual trader. And if you take such trades -- someone offering scarce goods for abundant ones -- you perpetuate the problem because there is not incentive to balance their production exactly because they are being told that a 2 star trade is always equitable and if they don't question this (and most don't) they keep offering their scarce goods for less than they could/should. All of which slows their growth, and hinders markets adjusting to supply/demand issues. It's no wonder the imbalances we experience take so long to adjust themselves.

AJ

Lady Dastardly

If you take a trade that is offering a good that is in short supply at a 2 star rate for something at the same tier that is over abundant, you are shorting yourself. 2 star assumes all goods on the same tier are of equal value. Supply/demand says otherwise.
I know this is your opinion, since you add it every single discussion of trading that ever comes up, but this is not, and will never be, how I play this game.

Iyapo1

As a scrolls boosted player from before the moonstone library fix, it's the same tier trades that sit in the trader that are a more accurate guage of what goods are hard to move.
This! I am scroll boosted in two cities and steel boosted in one. I could kick back and only take the "really good" three star trades or I could start posting trades for 1 star. Players would take them, they need the goods. I could be making a profit off my neighbors!...Been there, went through that, it was not fun and I will not inflict it on others.

Iamaita

It could just be that you have players like me around you. I accept every single 2 star same tier trade I see in the market if at all possible, that way no one has to wait to get a trade picked up. It usually balances out over the course of the day. You offer marble, I take it...the neighbors I have that cant see you without a fee ask for marble I give it. The bigger my neighborhood gets the easier it is for me to facilitate trades in my neighborhood to help players get around the fee.

But it leaves slim pickings behind. Just cross tier, zero star, one star, trade spammers, some three star same tier, and those trades to big for me to swallow. If you dont see trades asking for marble, think of me, and dont panic!
Trade fairies. :)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I know this is your opinion, since you add it every single discussion of trading that ever comes up, but this is not, and will never be, how I play this game.

I wonder why you not change your mind? Why would anybody take a position that is less reasonable and potentially more harmful to others?

I argue strongly and often that my position of Open Trading is a better choice for the game and I back it up with a lot of reasoning and ideas. There is a counter argument, of course, but I sometimes have a hard time discerning it between the sounds of annoyance that accompany it. If you like I could lay out what is, I think, the counter argument to my position. And then show why it's a less reasonable and potentially more harmful possition.

At the other end, I must ask "why is your position more reasonable and less harmful than mine?" Failure to answer that question in a rational manner is just failure to demonstrate your positions reasonableness. This, sadly, actually undermines it since it implies your position is merely based upon an emotional response rather than reason. Most people learn pretty early that when emotions rule they seldom rule well, or for very long.

Finally, notice I'm not saying how YOU should play the game. If you want to use the star system as your measure of what is fair for you, go ahead. But trying to force others to do so by various rules and social put downs ("gouger," being one) isn't allowing others to play the game as they desire, is it?

AJ

Last edited: