• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

mark alerts as read?

Aritra

This is a question about this forum, not the game itself, but I wasn't sure where to post it...

I get alerts, but it seems like viewing it doesn't always clear it as "seen/read" so I get false impressions of something new that isn't. The red dot does tell me something new is there, but sometimes the highlighted "new" isn't new, next to a highlighted new that is new. I don't know if that came out very well...sorry

What I want to know if it is possible to individually mark alerts as "read." If you can, I haven't found it yet. Maybe I'm blind to something in front of my face and I appreciate guidance to locate it, or told, "nope, can't do it, give up looking (for now, maybe they'll add it later)."

AtaguS

I haven't seen or heard of a way to manually or indivually mark these alerts as read. Opening and closing the tabs several times seems to eventually clear them, though I know that is far from what you're looking for.

Yes, this happens in my city too sometimes and irks my ocd to no end! Lol. The AW, Chat and Buildings tabs are the biggest culprits.

Aritra

@AtaguS
Yes, the "something new here" marker in the AW and Buildings gets annoying. I click and it still shows. Takes opening and closing it a few times to clear it. That's annoying.
However, my primary inquiry is the alerts within the forum. Since I got here, I've gotten a bit active (ahem, probably should back off a bit, lol) and so my alerts are frequent. That's not the problem. Problem is when I have viewed what it is alerting me to and it still appears as if it is new on the alert list. hmmmm

Aritra

Annoys me as well. I have found that reloading the forum from the main page clears them.
Is that the tan button that says "Forums" with the drop down next to it (next one over is "What's new"?

If I click onto this browser tab (I have game running on one tab, this on another, wiki on another, elvenstats city planner on another) and I have no alerts, I click that to refresh the page. I've been posting so much lately that there is almost always at least one alert. When I click on the alerts and click on one, I click that "Forums" button again to take me home when I am finished with that thread. Then I click on alerts again to select a different new one. But ones I just visited will still show as if it was new and if I visit I can see there's no change from when I was there a minute earlier. That's where I'm getting frustrated with which new are still new and which new have I actually just seen. Ugh

I was just hoping there was a setting I had not yet discovered that would make it easier. If there's not, there's not and I can deal.

NightshadeCS

I found that if I use the "back" button on my browser to go back to the Forum listings, then those notifications will still be there. Think of it as going back in time as well as space. ;)

If I click at the bottom or top of the thread on the subforum string, it will reload the page with everything current. This should remove those notifications and then also load in any new messages.

Forum Thread List.png

Aritra

I found that if I use the "back" button on my browser to go back to the Forum listings, then those notifications will still be there. Think of it as going back in time as well as space. ;)

If I click at the bottom or top of the thread on the subforum string, it will reload the page with everything current. This should remove those notifications and then also load in any new messages.

View attachment 8375
This is the "forum" button (in the upper left corner) that I usually use to refresh (takes me to main page, but that's fine because I'm done at the moment with whatever thread I was on and I am seeking to check on another alert location). It has mixed results.
Another thing is I have figured out the alerts drop down seems to highlight in three different shades and I'm still figuring out what they mean. I think the darkest is newest, but then what would be the difference between the medium and lightest tan? I am now suspecting that this color coding is telling me something that I'm missing. This site isn't that difficult, yet there are aspects I haven't quite gotten a grip on yet... :rolleyes:
Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 5.39.44 PM.png