• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Maximizing Goods Production

Smooper

I was looking for something that might have all the tips and strategies to make your city a fountain of goods. A city that rarely ever fights but makes it to the top of the Spire and goes 20 or more provinces deep every week in the Tournament. I am mostly a manual fighter but I have members of my fellowship who would feel more comfortable making lots of goods to go further and since it is my goal to make my fellowship better I am looking for something I can tell them.

Anyone have a link or some tips they can give me? I am looking for a "Dummy's Guide to..." or something like what Crackie has created for fighting. Here is a "thanks" payment in advance and one upon delivering the "goods". (see what I did there)

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
A city that rarely ever fights but makes it to the top of the Spire and goes 20 or more provinces deep every week in the Tournament.
Well, I fit that description, so I can give a few tips based on my city build; however, because I built my city from the ground up on these principles, some of these things may be hard to retrofit into a city that's already advanced. I'm not aware of a compiled list like Crackie's that focuses on strategies for catering. I could try to work up a longer, more comprehensive document if you think there's interest?

Tips I've learned in my gameplay:
1) Don't place all available expansions. These increase your catering costs reaaaaally quickly. If you need more production, it's frequently possible to tweak production by changing out event buildings or using a few MMs. Try to build up, not out.

2) Build more lower-level manufactories, instead of a few completely upgraded ones. This sounds completely contrary to my first point but in many cases will actually result in greater production for fewer city squares used (as can be calculated from the spreadsheets I shared here) because of the greatly reduced need for population and culture.

3) Rely on event buildings as much as possible for population and extra production capabilities. Most culture/pop event buildings will have a better population per square ratio than regular residences. Likewise, many event buildings are also great goods or mana producers per square. If at all possible, do not build armories for orc production. They are huge space hogs, require a ton of culture, and are worse orc producers per square than all event buildings that produce orcs, including the craftable orc nests.

4) Plan ahead. Pay attention to what resources will be needed in the next chapter or two and start acquiring event buildings ahead of time (if you have a source of RRs for upgrading or are willing to spend diamonds to make them in the MA), and make plans for how to balance what is upcoming.

5) Make every effort to top the Spire, even if your fellowship is uninterested. Yes, the diamond rewards from a committed fellowship are amazing, but even if you're playing it alone, the artefacts, the ability to craft special buildings in the MA, the extra diamonds, the Magic Residences and Workshops...these all make catering much, much easier.

6) As a follow-on from 5, prioritize using diamonds to buy some Expansions when you need more space. This increases your costs less than regular expansions, and is a good use for any Spire diamonds you're winning.

7) Ignore the quests on the side, unless they are going to be fulfilled by something you were about to do anyway. These will make you build your city in a way that is not conducive to catering (too many residences, lots of armories, unnecessary and expensive culture buildings, etc.).

8) Make sure every wonder counts. Do the math on whether a particular wonder will be more productive for the space it takes up and the formula penalty it creates than a similar production building (make liberal use of MinMax's spreadsheet here), and don't be afraid to delete wonders that are military in nature, or that are no longer the best per square option.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Someone I know made it all the way to chap 16 without putting down Merc Camp and then caved to add in some fighting. So if you aren’t retrofitting, you can skip military buildings like Training Ground and Merc Camp bc I don’t think you can sell them once you put them down.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
Someone I know made it all the way to chap 16 without putting down Merc Camp and then caved to add in some fighting. So if you aren’t retrofitting, you can skip military buildings like Training Ground and Merc Camp bc I don’t think you can sell them once you put them down.
The only training building you can't sell is the Barracks, but I think a catering-only city isn't going to need either the Training Grounds or the Mercenary Camp. However, if you're a person that just HAS to do all the quests, you're going to need both eventually.

iamthouth

Tetris Master
I'm nearing the end of Ch19, and I don't have the Training Grounds or Mercenary Camps. They are not required for any mandatory quests. I mostly cater, and haven't built any fighting wonders.

I top the spire each week, catering. I do up to 16x6 tournament provinces, occasionally more. 20 deep is probably do-able, but orc costs and later mana costs are high for catering.

Recommend;
High Lvl Golden Abyss for population and coins.
High lvl Mountain Hall for basic goods.
High lvl Timewarp and Vortex of Storage for sentient goods.
I don't yet have the ETC which would help boost the Magical Manufacturing, which I use sparingly.

Alram

Flippers just flip
The most I ever went out was 15 tents to 6 stars. #1 advice, Slow down in the research. Look ahead as @MaidenFair said. I kept my guest race settlements small until ch 10 when I put out as many buildings as I could because I liked seeing what the apprentices did to their school. :p
I did not have enough mana to keep all those buildings producing AND gold spire AND open new tech AND do chapter upgrades AND do 15 tents to 6 all at the same time. Spire was my priority so I cut back guest buildings and dropped more mana producers (ch9 and 10 genies were excellent). I don't like using my spells. It's hard to run in every direction at once unless you are willing to pay for it with real money.
It really depends on the players priorities.

Last edited: