• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Message blackout

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I think it would depend on if you get good cop or bad cop
See, people? She’s not even denying there is a good cop/bad cop treatment! The problem is...I don’t know which one is the good cop and which is the bad cop. I do know helya left us to fend for ourselves against the Banshee while she comfortably spectated from outside the Banshee House with a pile of snacks and ice cream. Haven’t met helno yet, but maybe helno means “hell no” in a Ruth-Bader-Ginsberg-defender-of-justice type of dissenting “no” and is the good cop versus the “hell no, you’re not getting your one phone call” bad cop. Who is who?! @Hueanthar is the one that opened a Black Abyss and I am the one that needs a lawyer?

crackie

There was no Black Abyss on my end, @crackie. It only appeared in your side of the message.
Yeah, but it doesn’t appear if you didn’t send me a message!
Perhaps the shenanigan elf struck. :D
Are you trying to plant seeds of doubt in my head that the Shenanigan Elves are not on my side??? I feel like I can depend on Shenanigan Elves to be on my side like I can depend on Buddy to be there for me in a time of need. Have they been bought off with snacks?! I might have to pay them a visit to find out...

Myne

Oh Wise One
Are you trying to plant seeds of doubt in my head that the Shenanigan Elves are not on my side??? I feel like I can depend on Shenanigan Elves to be on my side like I can depend on Buddy to be there for me in a time of need. Have they been bought off with snacks?! I might have to pay them a visit to find out...

@crackie ...just stay off of banisters and you should be fine

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
It should not be protecting the corporate lackies
Agreed, generally. But other than helya, all support staff are volunteers. I can't imagine it being easy to keep sufficient cs staff. If their mistakes were allowed to be posted on forums (as opposed to handled privately), I can see that creating issues for both retention and recruitment. It's a lot harder to manage folks when a paycheck is not part of the compensation, so I give them a pass for this one.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Agreed, generally. But other than helya, all support staff are volunteers. I can't imagine it being easy to keep sufficient cs staff. If their mistakes were allowed to be posted on forums (as opposed to handled privately), I can see that creating issues for both retention and recruitment. It's a lot harder to manage folks when a paycheck is not part of the compensation, so I give them a pass for this one.

If you volunteer you should still try to give good information. If you don't know something ask. Don't tell me something that I verify is wrong and threaten me with punishment if I came here to warn others.

And then there's the time I had a building deleted that I was 85% sure I did not click on.
I thought it might be a serious glitch.
So I opened a ticket stating my fear but very clearly said that if was my mistake I did not want the building back.
The response.
"I'll give you the building back this time but it can only be done once"
Yeah, maybe that violates that important rule. But then again, if the mods can't read why expect me to?

Astram

Forum Moderator
Elvenar Team
I have thick skin so I take criticism very well, and I will be the first to admit if I am wrong. And I read very well, thank you very much, as long as I have my reading glasses on. Otherwise I am blind as a bat.

My job here is to take as much of the workload of either one of the Helya's so she can do her CM stuff.

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
The privacy should only be on the part of the player/customer
It should not be protecting the corporate lackies who may have given bad information
The Support team are not on the Forum, allowing Forum members to post a portion of a conversation with them without their permission is not acceptable.

The Forum is also not an appropriate place to bash support. They work very hard, for free, take an incredible amount of abuse from players, and yes, when answering 50 tickets in a day, may make a mistake.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
But yes, given that most of support here are volunteers, I also will give them a pass.

People keep saying that.
I've volunteered for a lot of things in my life.
I chaired our town's annual festival. Lot of work, no pay. Still my volunteer committe and I did a good job.
I spent a number of years as a volunteer fireman. We didn't get paid either, but you know, I think if we ever showed up at a house and it burned down because we forgot the hoses.
I really doubt people would say, "Oh well, they don't get paid, no big deal."
You know recently here they were looking for volunteers for a project I know is right up my alley. I thought about, and realized right now I couldn't give it the attention it deserved. So I didn't throw my hat in the ring because if I can't do it well I don't want to do it at all.
Even if I'm not getting paid.

crackie

Oh, I hear you, @mucksterme. I recently had an interesting support experience with my hosting company. I migrated servers but they gave me the wrong info on new server. Oops. Naturally, none of my logins worked anymore since I’m banging at the wrong door. The password reset also gives errors because I don’t have an account on the server I am accessing. In the end, I figured out what they did and found where my new server was myself. I replied to say the login issue is resolved and explained what happened. The next reply from them asked me for my external IP to check if server was blocking it for some reason. Dude! You guys screwed up, locked me out for over a day, I figured out the problem and fixed it myself, explained it to you (aka did your job for you) and you don’t even read what I wrote or believe me? And these people (Level II support to boot) get paid…

I imagine if it’s a volunteer gig, the turnover rate is probably pretty high already. If you squeeze at it, I am sure more will leave and the pool of who is left becomes even smaller to draw from. Then it might get more interesting. But who knows, maybe that’s the path needed to go so they have to get paid. And then they’ll need to generate more revenue to support Support. I am sure if they left me alone with the first support person that responded to this ticket, helya would have had to intervene at some point anyway, but boy oh boy would it have been fun to hear more of their theories on the origin of the Black Abyss. I imagine helya stumbling into a flooded room to find two people playing with a water main break. Don’t worry, the Black Abyss will suck out all that watery mess. :)

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
I imagine if it’s a volunteer gig, the turnover rate is probably pretty high already. If you squeeze at it, I am sure more will leave and the pool of who is left becomes even smaller to draw from. Then it might get more interesting. But who knows, maybe that’s the path needed to go so they have to get paid. And then they’ll need to generate more revenue to support Support. I am sure if they left me alone with the first support person that responded to this ticket, helya would have had to intervene at some point anyway, but boy oh boy would it have been fun to hear more of their theories on the origin of the Black Abyss. I imagine helya stumbling into a flooded room to find two people playing with a water main break. Don’t worry, the Black Abyss will suck out all that watery mess. :)
A part of me really wishes I'd let that ticket drag on for a bit now.

crackie

Caused by the Shenanigan elves?
Is this some official bug-tracking ledger? If so, I don't know if I'd be more amused if it says Shenanigan Elves or @Hueanthar. After all, if we're going by evidence-based sleuthing, it's her name right above the Black Abyss! I can neither confirm nor deny the Shenanigan Elves were involved, but unlike the Bud Sorceress Fan Club, they probably don't mind being associated with tomfoolery and mischief. The Bud Sorceress Fan Club has a more wholesome image to uphold, like just two best friends in the cornfield spectating a nuclear popcorn explosion.

The Black Abyss is still there, but the rest of my messaging is working normally so the ticket can be closed, I suppose.

If you want the technical breadcrumbs, when I pull up the browser console, it looks like the bug has to do with a WebGL call. This can be replicated 100% every time I pull up our conversation. I can send the log to the ticket if you really need it.
WebGL: INVALID_VALUE: texImage2D: width or height out of range

You are 2D out of range, @Hueanthar! How dare you...

Last edited: