• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Message feature

Jester Lafeet

Greetings Fellow players
I'm having a regular conversation with one of my Nabors
seems all messaging features have spelling check, including this one and on the mobile app
But not on my desktop
I have always had a spelling weakness (Just never got it ) and depend on spelling check in my correspondence
Any advice on getting spelling check on my desk top messaging ?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
None that I know of, unless you want to type every message out in Notepad or some app that will spellcheck for you, and then copy/paste into the message box in-game. And if you do that, right click does not work for that. You would have to use Control-V to paste into the message box.

Huor

On my chromebook spell check on the app does not work. I wonder if there is a spell check app running that is front ending elvenar. I'll have to look into that...

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
The reason spell checking doesn't work in the message system or chat boils down to the problem of notifying you when you have miss-spelled a word. To do that a system must use a graphical characters instead of code based ones. The difference is that a code based character sends an ASCII number to the system from that the system knows to put a particular character on the screen. The codes are set by the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (hence ASCII) and each country has it's own, and there are a LOT of others besides. On the other hand, graphical based characters are actually pictures drawn by a program based upon a definition (read forumla) of the character, it's shape, size, color and other characteristics. So you can start with a formula for "A" and then add a line to make that A into A. This includes a picture of the character underlined -- the typical method of notifiying you that you spelled it wrong. The use of ASCII goes back to the beginning of the PC revolution (and before) and since sending a "93" (the capital letter "A" if memory serves me) takes only one bite while sending the code to draw and "A" takes nearly 50 bites. Since saving bandwidth is important. ASCII is often used in text only applications, like chat and messaging.

In the end a code based system can't display anything to tell you when you screwed up and spelled my name ajqqrtz instead of the "correct" "ajqtrz" :p ;) While the forum, on the other hand is meant for longer and more complex messages, and thus uses a graphical based character system rather than a ASCII based one.

At least that's how I understand it.

AJ

Jester Lafeet

None that I know of, unless you want to type every message out in Notepad or some app that will spellcheck for you, and then copy/paste into the message box in-game. And if you do that, right click does not work for that. You would have to use Control-V to paste into the message box.
Thanks I will give that a try

Jester Lafeet

The reason spell checking doesn't work in the message system or chat boils down to the problem of notifying you when you have miss-spelled a word. To do that a system must use a graphical characters instead of code based ones. The difference is that a code based character sends an ASCII number to the system from that the system knows to put a particular character on the screen. The codes are set by the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (hence ASCII) and each country has it's own, and there are a LOT of others besides. On the other hand, graphical based characters are actually pictures drawn by a program based upon a definition (read forumla) of the character, it's shape, size, color and other characteristics. So you can start with a formula for "A" and then add a line to make that A into A. This includes a picture of the character underlined -- the typical method of notifiying you that you spelled it wrong. The use of ASCII goes back to the beginning of the PC revolution (and before) and since sending a "93" (the capital letter "A" if memory serves me) takes only one bite while sending the code to draw and "A" takes nearly 50 bites. Since saving bandwidth is important. ASCII is often used in text only applications, like chat and messaging.

In the end a code based system can't display anything to tell you when you screwed up and spelled my name ajqqrtz instead of the "correct" "ajqtrz" :p ;) While the forum, on the other hand is meant for longer and more complex messages, and thus uses a graphical based character system rather than a ASCII based one.

At least that's how I understand it.

AJ
WOW ! Thanks AJ. Way over my head but very interesting I must say