• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Closed | Archived Messaging System Needs Some Tweaks

JasmineMoon

Even though it's pretty basic, the messaging system could use a few user friendly fixes. When doing a copy & paste from a text file, it adds extra blank lines at every linefeed. This makes the message too long and hard to read. There's no way to copy & paste a message sent to me so I can use it in the reply. This would be great for sending forms the fellowship could use to answer surveys and report badge counts during an adventure.

NightshadeCS

The same things happens for me (HTML5, Chrome). I have just gotten used to deleting all the extra lines. Never thought that other people don't experience this.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
I have the Copy and Paste feature working for me on HTML and I do not experience the spaces upon pasting into emails. I type everything out on word documents before pasting. If you use other text editors such as Notepads, you will see the spaces. I hope this helps,

Xelenia

JasmineMoon

I guess I'm the bonehead! Yes, I can copy and paste a message sent to me. But I do use notepad for copy and paste so I'll try using Word. Any was to use tabs so things line up?

NightshadeCS

I use Word and still experience the spaces. To be clear, it is additional lines after any carriage return. I also copy and paste the tournament strategy from Gems every week and have to go through and delete these extra blank lines (at least at the top) so we can at least see the goods needed in the message preview screen. Here are some pics to illustrate.

Message Extra Lines small.jpg
Message Extra Lines Word small.jpg

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
Have you consider removing the space on your word documents? I recall having to twig my word document a bit. @NightshadeCS

Unfortunately, I do not think this is something the developers can fix given how different word editors reacts differently, as well as how things work with different browsers as well.

I will keep this thread on my watch to see others experience. Have @JasmineMoon experience things differently with word document?

Depending on how the experiences continues here, I will either move this into the bug section or messaging feature enhancement. No vote require. So please post your experiences!

NightshadeCS

Also (and I know Gems is not in your purview, this is just an illustration), in this one, I only clicked the button to copy and paste the text, then used Ctrl-V in Elvenar.

Message Extra Lines Gems.jpg
Message Extra Lines Gems b.jpg

NightshadeCS

It has been so long since I have used Flash, I cannot remember! If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it has always done that. If I can change it back and test it out, I will.

Risen Malchiah

Yeah, the extra line spacing is annoying and exclusive to the HTML version. In Flash, everything works fine and dandy. :) Also, copying *from* your message and pasting into Word or Notepad copies the text without line breaks so it's a jumbled mess.

There's another inconsistency in how HTML & Flash treat the Home key when typing a message. Flash returns the cursor to the beginning of the current line while HTML returns the cursor to the very top of the message (but without scrolling up) so you lose where the cursor is. Before I understood this, I've ruined entire messages by accident by using Shift+Home to highlight a line and hit delete before I realized what I did. It's a minor annoyance but I far prefer the way Flash does it.