• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Method to improve troop selection for auto-fight.

Method to improve troop selection for auto-fight

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
I will watch this thread for the rest of the week and perhaps use it as a test drive for the new process for the Idea and Suggestions section. Feel free to read and make adjustments as you see fit. I am trying to get the new CM to get used to my naggings for ideas/suggestions I truly do see a benefit for the game.

As always, there are no guarantee of anything if we ever cross the bridge for forwarding...after all, we have seen ideas come to fruits several months after ^.^

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
While 'never' is a very long time, it seems like they have basically decided that is already the case. I'm basing this on the following quote by @CrazyWizard in another thread.

So, I guess I'm saying, that ship has sailed. The concept of tapping the mobile device with great accuracy to hit the right hex is difficult to imagine being implemented. I've worked with touch screens, not on mobile devices, but specialized for industrial use. Small things just don't work for tapping and there is no hover capability. Phones are out of the question and tablets would still be difficult to use since a mistap could ruin the entire battle.

There are options, innogames has a game called warlords of aternum which does have an hex based battle map.
I only do not remember how big that map is again.
1583296284495.png

The nintendo gameFire Emble heroes is another game but that one does use squares instaed of hexes.

Yogi Dave

There are options, innogames has a game called warlords of aternum which does have an hex based battle map.
That shows only part of the arena, which works with close quarters battles. With the troops that fire the full length of the battle field like Elvenar has, it would be problematic for actual battle since the size of the hexs would have to shrink. What I'm suggesting is to just have a simple map/schematic showing the impassable tiles and initial troop placement. It doesn't need to have a lot of detail as the picture you've included. Just the hexs showing which are blocked and the starting positions of each troop would help a lot with troop selection. The developers can do whatever they want to on top of that to make it snap as long as it loads fast. If it doesn't it will be used less.

Yogi Dave

Quickie mockup of what a map preview could look like.
(This is how I'm picturing this suggestion, anyway.)
Yes, yes it is. Thank you so very much for this. :D I love the use of the symbol for the troop class. Maybe letters for the enemy to make it completely clear which is which.
For that matter, I wouldn't mind having this for manual fights too.
I'd also like it on browser. A quick peek would be used often by me, but it's much more needed on mobile. I feel sorry they can't even see the most basic info needed to make a well informed choice.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
May I suggest adding comments such as the pretty mock-up into the initial post?

IF this was a poll right now, do you want the members reading through all of the comments to make a decision? Or will you rather they look at the initial post, and get all supporting text from there?

Yogi Dave

May I suggest adding comments such as the pretty mock-up into the initial post?
I've been thinking about how best to do that. I'd love to use @Fayeanne's graphic in that post, of course giving credit to her. The problem is my time. I really won't have much time to work on it until mid Saturday EST. That's about the time the tourney ends. There are a few points made during the discussion which would improve the initial post without it getting long and some cleanup in the initial post that follows your suggestions in the guide better. I hope that time frame works for you before adding a poll.

Yogi Dave

With letters:
Thanks very much. Although, I have to say, seeing it with letters makes me see that the numbers look better. I don't think there will be confusion. Especially since I see this being brought up before troops are selected. In which case, the player's troops will only have a number in the location, not a troop type.

I'm working on getting a couple of graphics like yours to show a couple of maps which will show how the terrain can seriously affect a battle outcome.

Fayeanne

Did you want my source files? Would save you from having to recreate them; you could create new maps by just moving things around.

I was thinking the troop types could be shown for the player in the event that he has placed some (or all) of his units and is previewing how their layout will look prior to actually starting the fight.

(Trivia: The map I made is an actual example of a real battle I fought for the purposes of getting source information to make my mockup.)

Yogi Dave

Despite my misgivings, I might even vote for it.
I hear your worry about this concept being an excuse to not implement manual fighting on mobile. Manual fighting will always be the best way to learn. I still do some manual fighting for battles containing all three types of the enemy, especially when their special abilities work against me and it's a high province. I hate to lose and really hate to cater the high provs. Still, the map will help me in the browser to decide what to do without having to dive into the slow loading arena twice.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
I just want to say thank you for putting in the effort @Yogi Dave into keeping track of all the suggestions! I think everyone did a great job discussing the topic at hand and really took the new layout approach for this sub-section!

Spoiler Alert, the new guideline for the suggestion section was only doable because of everyone who pitched into its creation :) So the big fat thanks go to @Ashrem @Mykan @Sir Squirrel @samidodamage and @shimmerfly

I am really hoping for upcoming, and continuing suggestions take the same spirit! As always, there is not a promise that anything will come of this once the process is over, but at least a presentable case is made and the powers above me will have something to look at :)

POLL
The US Elvenar Team is reading your ideas and suggestions on a regular basis and is forwarding the ones with the most potential to be taken into consideration. To make sure it is a community decision, the following process will be followed:

• The Moderator will open a poll in this section. He/She will also make sure that in the opening post, there is a short description of the Idea (as well as in the Thread Title) and all detailed information is included in the rest of the in-depth description in that opening post.
  • The poll will run for 14 days.
  • During the poll, the discussion can still continue if anyone feels they have something valuable to add.
  • However: No alterations can be made any more to the idea as it's stated in the opening post, so please refrain from coming up with new ideas at this stage.
  • Any idea that has 10 or more “IN FAVOR” votes greater than the “NOT IN FAVOR” votes at the end of the 14 day voting period will be forwarded.
  • Any idea that does not meet the requirement of the poll, will not be forward. This will avoid forwarding ideas that are not supported by the majority of the community.

With that said, I will open a poll. Happy Voting everyone!

P.S Please do not spoil this opportunity by charging your duplicate accounts, a duplicate of friends and relatives to push the voting result in one way or another. Any hints of cheating will result in the removal of the poll.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nightguest

Ex-Team Member
Bumpity bump - do please let us know if you (in this community) like this idea.

The team and I are watching - and though we cannot promise any results - I'm very happy to put energy into pushing for this idea (or least getting feedback from the devs/designers).

Though for that, I'd like to see a good show of hands coming from those of you that are interested. It would be cool to see more than 5 votes (1 of which is mine).

Yogi Dave

My suggestion @Yogi Dave would be to use the thread tools on page one to remove "for auto fight" from the subject, as this would be useful for auto and manual fighters.
I very much agree that it will be useful for manual fighters. I'm sure I'll use it to look at the map in the difficult enemy troop mixes before making the decision to auto-fight, manual fight, or cater. It will be much quicker than loading the actual arena just to take a peek. However, thinking about it for a day I feel keeping the emphasis on auto-fight is important since it has the greater handicap. Those who manual fight will immediately grasp how this will help them also.

ptparks

I think the map would be a great idea even on the browser. This week I did 56 provinces. That means 224 battles for each round. There is no way I have the time to manual fight all of them. Having the ability to select my troops without dropping a ranger, peeking, then going back to select troops would be a great time saver.

Xelenia

Ex-Team Member
P.S Please do not spoil this opportunity by charging your duplicate accounts, a duplicate of friends and relatives to push the voting result in one way or another. Any hints of cheating will result in the removal of the poll.

If anymore inactive accounts vote as an attempt to push this poll, I am closing it and will no longer advocate having it presented to the developers. First and last warning.

Xelenia