• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Method to rearrange the city

Andy100

Forge of Empires has a really God method to edit the city. It uses a sandbox kind of thing so you can move the buildings and streets around. It also allows you to temporarily store buildings and streets so you have room to rearrange city. This rearranging does not affect the actual city. At the end you have the option to either implement the changes or keep the city the way it is without changes.

Since the game mechanics are the same as Elvenar, it should be easy to implement and will give us a great tool.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Hi Andy100; welcome to the forums.
Your idea has been offered in many different forms as far back as 2016 from what I could find. Granted, prior to 2020, there was no formal process for getting ideas in front of the devs from any forums other than beta. Now that there is a process that the devs require CM's to follow, there are certain things they will not entertain at all. All of those things are described in the official 'Important, read before posting' sticky at the top of this sub-forum.
From that sticky:
  • Storing Buildings - Players can utilize the Teleport Spell, available through the Spire, to gain the ability to store buildings. There will not be a feature outside of the spell to store buildings

Andy100

I feel like we at Elvenar are 2nd class citizens. Why should Forge of Empire players have this facility and we do not. Inno makes both games and the game mechanics are the same.:mad:

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
With my next to zero knowledge of coding, etc: My understanding - from many years ago and for which I can find no reference - was that the resistance to ideas about storage, temporary or otherwise was due to underlying architecture.
I do not know what that means technically. In my brain it automatically gets related to building architecture (that I also don't understand on a technical level). So, it becomes 'ok, they can't build that kind of building there because the support they need means digging down. Then, they'll hit an underground lake, game over'.
There was endless debate on here about both the veracity and the validity of their reason. I don't know enough to comment on that. They eventually released the Teleport spells, when the Spire was introduced (?Aug 2019?). There have been many things over the years they have figured out ways to provide where we had been given hard no's in the past. Years pass, staff changes, devs come and go, etc. So, it's anyone's guess as to whether they'll ever entertain an idea to provide more options for temporary building storage.
For now, the official info on this forum page indicates this is something that the CM's are prohibited from bringing into the process to get it in front of the devs. If you check out that page in my link, it explains the process. You'll see the CM's take ideas (they're labeled as 'Forwarded' in the sticky posts at the top) through a process that involves all global CM's.
I would hope and expect that our current CM(s) would update the sub-forum instructions if the devs become more open to hearing ideas about this. Until that happens, we're basically just talking amongst ourselves here.

Andy100

But they already have the code. The programming for Forge of Empires and Elvenar must be based on the same base. The mechanics of the city are the same. Streets and buildings. They behave the same. The mechanics are the same. Some buildings need to be connected to the ‘main’ building in order to produce. The buildings and streets must be placed on square expansions (FoE is 4 to a side and Elvenar is 5). Attached is what my FoE and Elvenar cities look like

Update. The attachments are too large. Let me see what I can do.

I loaded them to my google drive. You can see them here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-45w2ty1zbntAIAFgJ4Rffyjs2vA0dNI

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

Welcome to the forum. And more importantly, welcome to the fun and frustration of Elvanar.

They have said one of the challenges of the game is the rearranging of the city. It's also one of the reasons you can't rotate your buildings. We have a different set of frustrations here than the ones in that other game, which due to my respect for @mucksterme, I won't name. ;)

Plus, the code is not the same nor written by the same people. So, the code isn't sharable between the two games. Just ideas and this one has been shot down time and time again.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I wonder if they could make a code for the forum that immediately deletes any post that includes the words "In Forge of Empires"

Past Forum Mods used to warn people to not make constant comparisons between the two games or risk their posts being moderated/deleted, especially in this sub-forum. That was at least partly because Forge is a mobile-only game and Elvenar was originally a browser-only game, so completely different coding.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
That was at least partly because Forge is a mobile-only game and Elvenar was originally a browser-only game, so completely different coding.
Whoa. That's a totally wrong assumption here, hon. There would be no GvG at all for many years if this were true. The GvG map is browser only ; one of my favorite guild leaders was always saying, I'm on the phone for the next 3 hours, can't help with reset strategy. Lol at first I wondered why she spent hours on a phone call, until I asked Ruffian (privately) and he set me straight.

Even FoE didn't have the move feature you are requesting @Andy100, when I joined. But someone  asked Timon this very question recently, and he suggested holding an expansion until you were selling off culture and doing a big rearrange then. Also, road upgrades can be strategic. Roads cost the same to place whether or not you sell them first to use the space, or just plant them atop older versions.

Timon is one of the long term members of the Development Team, by the way. Others come and go, Timon remains.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Okay, for a technical explanation, here goes: Every game has overhead. This is the amount of processor power needed to just manage the game. Every feature adds to the overhead. The overhead is paid for by the players, as are all things. If the $$ coming in from the player base is insufficient to support the feature, the feature isn't implemented. FoE is a larger than Elvenar and thus the cost of any feature is spread across a larger base. This means more features can be supported.

Now for some discussion.

First of all, the reason FoE is larger and more lucrative is because it has PvP and other aspects of direct combat. It, therefore, attracts a younger and more easily manipulated group of players (at risk of being a bit ageist here). So it generates, I suspect, a bit more $$ per player.

Second, FoE is not only larger and younger, it's more male dominated. According to an interview I read with some Elvenar product development guy, Elvenar is not only an older crowd, but 50% female, an unusual percentage in this type of game which is almost always focused on PvP or has some big, important aspect of it built in. Thus, the ratio of male/female is unusual. Women tend to be more laid back (according to a recent psychology report) in gaming and thus to spend less.

Third, Inno is a business. As stated in the opening paragraph, they won't add a feature to the game that can't pay for itself. So the sandbox, which takes up a lot of server processing, will probably not ever come to Elvenar.

Now, that's my take. I could be, as I sometimes am, completely and utterly wrong. Hopefully, some wiser and more knowledgeable one will correct me.

AJ

Mykan

Oh Wise One
another thing your missing is maybe its something they would rather not be in FoE but its too late. They did mention at some point they have learnt things between the 2 games and while there are similarities they have "improved" things when moving an idea between one program and the other. This includes from Foe to elvenar and vice versa. Maybe teleport spells are something they see as an improvement?

Moho

Chef
Maybe teleport spells are something they see as an improvement?
Teleport spells are a blessing.

IMG02.jpg

Dew Spinner

another thing your missing is maybe its something they would rather not be in FoE but its too late. They did mention at some point they have learnt things between the 2 games and while there are similarities they have "improved" things when moving an idea between one program and the other. This includes from Foe to elvenar and vice versa. Maybe teleport spells are something they see as an improvement?
They have the sandbox and you can rotate buildings in their newest game, Rise of Cultures. If they had "learned" that it was bad they wouldn't have put it in their newest game.

Last edited: