• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mixed up sayings for a new era?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
What have you got? Any favourite sayings that have been modified in order to apply in a more modern sense? I had a particular one in mind about glass houses that caused me to wonder about this. I won't post it (at least yet), because it might be taken as something other than actual curiosity about language fluidity.

Vergazi

Not sure if this is what you mean, but it drives me batty when journalists and pundits say "honing in on" when they mean to say "homing in on." I have heard various college students say this too so I guess that few of them were paying attention in English class that day.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I think that's more the standard changing of sayings by people who aren't aware of the error, while I was thinking of deliberate changes. One example is "finding a needle in a digital haystack" The original phrase doesn't need the modification, because it's you can't actually have a needle in a digital haystack, and it was already a comparison between something difficult and something unrelated but difficult.

shimmerfly

Do you mean like old idioms... "grasping at straws"?
Original meaning was for a drowning man to grasp at grass (straw) was better than nothing.
Now it's used more like guessing at a meaning or to put an end to something such as an argument?
I'm grasping at straws for your meaning.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I've never heard grasping at straws as guessing at meaning, I understand it more in the original sense where one is trying to make a point where there is insufficient data to really make one. A weak "grasping at straws" (but the only thing I can come up with right now) would be something like buying more lottery tickets because you need more money.

Things like:

Phish me once, shame on you, fish me twice, shame on me
You can't make on omelette without posting a few pictures
Out of Newsfeed, out of mind
People who live in glass houses shouldn't report other people's posts.
Don't put all your data on one hard drive.