• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Most people cater...

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
This is from today's Forbidden Ruins Q&A. I'm just going to leave this here and grab some popcorn.
wtf fighting answer.jpg

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
It is difficult to fight well early game because the barracks and armories can't produce anything fast enough compared to the rate your army gets slaughtered, which would lead to more catering. But...I thought there was some general consensus it becomes more difficult to cater in late chapter from having to juggle all the various upper tier goods like mana, seeds, sentients, etc. I guess imma have to bend the knee and swear allegiance to House Iyapo as she will outlast us all...

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Back in the old days, before the temp military boost buildings or Phoenix or Bear existed, and before I decided to convert to fighting, I had built almost none of the military AWs and could barely win any fights. Getting the Fire Phoenix when it was first added in 2019 is when I decided to make the major shift in my city from catering to fighting. I went from under 1000 points per tournament to eventually doing 4000-5000 points.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
I too would have thought it was the opposite.

Getting the Fire Phoenix when it was first added in 2019 is when I decided to make the major shift in my city from catering to fighting.

I think that was the turning point for a lot of us.
It is too bad they can't introduce another building like that for newer players, but then people like us would really get over powered.

Bellerefon

Perhaps a disproportionate number of players who fight also join the forums?
Spot on.

@crackie Lol, I'm going for popcorn too.
But let me fuel this a bit first.

Personally, i fight tourney and i cater Spire. Although lately i have started picking up some more fights (especially after starting hanging around with you guys here :p)
Negotiating started as a reflex to my failure 4 yrs ago recognizing how much i needed the Fire Phoenix. So i learned how to negotiate when Spire started cos it was pretty unbearable without FP, made a rulebook and even started discording this for the FS players. Took me one year to find FP after that, so it stuck like a habit.
On Spire, floors 1 and 2 can be easily negotiated with basic production structures, no need for special arrangements. This is easy for early lvl players or for players that do not want to get involved too much. Floor 3 is more difficult anyways, but 90% of the players do NOT go there. Yet.
On tourney, on the other hand, fights after province 15 with totally mixed troops can cost more than cater.

Both ways require techniques and both ways are part of the game. As you can structure to fight, the same way you can structure to cater. I have even met a player that refuses to fight whatsoever and makes gold run and 2,000+ tourney every week.

I fairly believe that extrovert ppl, which are by default more social and thus the majority of forum residents, tend to fight more.
I also find ppl that do not have too much time to spend in the game to lean more towards cater as the basic progress of the game forces more production structures than military.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
Awesome :) I always tell my FS that I catered for at least the first couple or few years. Not having to battle is what sold me on this game to begin with. I know that more than half of my FS cater everything. Most of those members are somewhere around Orcs or Woodelves. I did not battle hardly anything until after the Spire came out. It has taken from then to now to level up my troops related AW's. I feel like this statement kind of vindicates my preference because I always felt like it was looked down on in the Forum. That and the negative view of actually having a fair amount of factories. Frankly, I need what I have, if for no other reason, to support my FS.

Fayeanne

Pure speculation, but I wonder if auto-battle is getting lumped in with "negotiate." When you think about it, auto-battle is not really impacted by how clever the battle system is; if they changed the mechanics or altered the AI, the new mechanics would be basically invisible to auto-battle, and an improved AI would still be fighting itself (the enemies would be smarter too) which would basically boil down to the same losses as before. So altering the battle system would really only benefit those who manual battle and that is probably a vanishingly small percentage...

AtaguS

Pure speculation, but I wonder if auto-battle is getting lumped in with "negotiate."
That's what I think too.
Is it a question of people prefering to negotiate, or simply prefering not to fight? Big difference in my city.
I dislike the battle aspect of this game, but I auto-fight every encounter I can and only negotiation when I have to.
If Elvenar wants to make the fighting aspect more interesting for those players that love to battle, then all I'd ask is that they leave auto-fight alone and not steer the game in a direction (anymore than they already have with recent tourney changes) where battling becomes a necessity to excel.
I say excel because, obviously, the option is always there to let my tourney average tank - but that's like when a teacher says you don't have to do the homework, you could always choose to fail the class instead (insert smirk)

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I'm thinking the Developers know the difference between auto-battle and negotiate :rolleyes:

I say excel because, obviously, the option is always there to let my tourney average tank - but that's like when a teacher says you don't have to do the homework, you could always choose to fail the class instead (insert smirk)

Seriously? "insert smirk"? What makes it ok to insult anybody who doesn't think your version of excel has to be their version of excel? First, I did not do homework in High School. I read the books, took the tests and stayed in the top 5%. I did a lot of College that way too. Definitely did not fail anything. Funny thing is that I feel like I helped pave the way for students like James on Jeopardy who did the same at the same High School later on. :p Second, tournament scores are not the only way to excel in this game! It is one aspect to excel in while others may prefer to excel in other aspects. That is one of the joys of this game! Players can be very 'successful' in whatever play style they choose.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

I will accept all forms of homage!

But...I thought there was some general consensus it becomes more difficult to cater in late chapter from having to juggle all the various upper tier goods like mana, seeds, sentients, etc.
The general consensus from the reliable voices on this forum is that you cant be competitive in the tournaments if you cater exclusively.

Getting anyone to define "competitive in the tournaments" is more difficult.