• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Multiple Culture Questions

• Thread starter DeletedUser4451
  • Start date

DeletedUser4451

Recently I was able to place both Halloween challenge buildings in my 2nd, smaller city. My culture spiked from 923 to 2,068. Awesome! I figured, "I'll have molten hot Culture Bonus for weeks!" Then, about 3 hours later, without upgrading anything, I was in dim 160% sun...

Clearly the game adjusts the percentage points you need for sun regardless of how small your city is and how much culture you acquire. Is there a formula to follow here? Clearly being in, say, Chapter 5 with only a handful of floating boats for cultural help will give you (I assume) abysmal culture percentage, but what is the general rule of thumb to follow? There must be one.

Is it worth it at all to upgrade roads and cultural items that can't receive neighborly help? In my main city, I laid down about 50 squares of cobbled road, thinking that would spike my culture for a few days. Nope, I'm currently down to 150% sun, after a brief glimpse of full sun. I have 14 culture buildings that can receive neighborly help (2 diamond-bought), and I'm starting to wonder if it's detrimental to have more help-able culture buildings.

Does it make a difference in Culture Bonus if you have 8 strong culture buildings that can be polished vs say 20 less-strong polishable culture buildings but adding up to the same total overall culture? Does the game equate your Culture Bonus based on the number of culture buildings you have that can receive help?

Any insight on this would be most appreciated!

DeletedUser3312

smiles. I stay in dim 100% even with all my culture and when I sprinkle it with spells. smiles. If you were at a higher bonus level and did nothing and then dropped down to 160 (oh I wish I had that problem lol lol) either you had cast a spell on a culture building and it expired (they only last for 2 days I think) or you got a bug. I would turn in a support ticket and let them check it out.

I do upgrade a few roads but, I move my city around all the time as buildings change size and shape as you upgrade them. It is much easier to do that if you delete all your free paths and shove the building into one area and then begin rearranging. so I have culture roads along the top and right side edge as those pretty much stay where they are. I have almost 35,000 culture but I also have a lot of buildings so that uses it all up. There is a chart in Wiki I believe that gives the information you are seeking. But having at least twice the amount needed for the next level will keep you culture healthy.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The maximum culture you can have is 150% unless you have a spell on, and/or have neighborly help buffs.
The newest and largest buildings you have unlocked will almost always give the best return per square.
Also, having a few large culture buildings means you need fewer visits from neighbors to get your max boost.

Some players run 100% cities and instead of using space to get culture up to 125/150% they just build more workshops.
I've never seen any examples of 1 vs the other, but I'll look into making some.

Personally I use www.elvenararchitect.com to plan my city for the end of the chapter I am starting, and I build the culture I'll need for that. This way I have lots of culture at the beginning, and it slowly goes down as I reach the end of the chapter (where new better culture buildings become available) and repeat.

Calenmir

SoggyShorts,

Would you mind explaining your post or maybe expanding your post? You say maximum is 150 and that is the part I'm not understanding. Feeling very stupid right now, so maybe........

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
My guess is you had neighbor help that wore off, see what your culture is after you get help again and if it still isn't adding up put in a ticket to support.
@Calenmir the game really only wants you to have 150 culture through cultural buildings and have neighbors help to boost it higher. Hope that helps!

Calenmir

So is having more bad? I was rather pleased with the fact I had more (which is why I didn't understand SS saying you could only have 150) because I'm very close to opening T3 building (and I'll want a few of them), so I knew it would drop once I started building and I always have to upgrade something, so again thinking I was in a fairly good place. Now thinking that I would eventually upgrade or change out culture buildings to get higher culture, but sounds like I shouldn't do that?

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
I heard they will give you a quest to lower your culture if you have more than 150% without neighborly help. It is good to have culture, but to much can be a waste of space that you can use for other buildings. But you are right it goes down fairly fast if your upgrading lots so if your in need having a few more is fine.

DeletedUser3312

So is having more bad? I was rather pleased with the fact I had more (which is why I didn't understand SS saying you could only have 150) because I'm very close to opening T3 building

Like Soggy, I begin a chapter will lots of culture... as much as I can afford. smiles (space) However, the game is set with a ceiling of 150% culture. so no matter what you do, you won't get more than that without neighbor help. as I go through upgrading, i use that new culture I built and by the end of the chapter I am down to nothing. there is usually lots of moving things around and such as I get ready for the new chapter and also during the chapter. smiles. I have a liking or rearranging things. It would not be good for a blind person to live in my house. grins... anyway. hope this makes sense.

Not sure if you know of it or not but... there is a wonderful FB group... Elvenar Platinum Leaf... I recommend it to all my FS. So much good information and advice available and thousands of people to help with questions. I learn a lot from that group!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
So is having more bad?......

Not "Bad" just not as efficient. The first "level" you go up is from 100% to 125%, then 125% to 150% after that it's just 10% more to 160%

I'm fairly certain that without any spells or buffs you actually can't get over 150%, there's even a pop-up when you log in sometimes that says
1569vl0.png

As for your T3s, try just 2 imo you really do not need any more. I'm in dwarf chapter, and already have enough T3 goods to complete every tech in fairies with lots left over.
It takes 5 residences and 1.5 workshops and a lot of culture to maintain 1 T3 building.
fvxxcm.jpg

DeletedUser4417

Not "Bad" just not as efficient. The first "level" you go up is from 100% to 125%, then 125% to 150% after that it's just 10% more to 160%

I'm fairly certain that without any spells or buffs you actually can't get over 150%, there's even a pop-up when you log in sometimes that says
1569vl0.png

As for your T3s, try just 2 imo you really do not need any more. I'm in dwarf chapter, and already have enough T3 goods to complete every tech in fairies with lots left over.
It takes 5 residences and 1.5 workshops and a lot of culture to maintain 1 T3 building.
fvxxcm.jpg
You can get to 160 and even 170% without spells and without the aid of your neighbors. The trick is in keeping it. I had it clear through Chapter II but when I went into chapter III and had to upgrade and expand etc mine dropped like a stone to the 125 mark and has pretty much stayed there except for when I have been swapping out culture buildings and when neighbors help out. If space is not a problem ie if you buy expansions or have over-conquered then yeah you can slap in a few extra culture buildings and you are good to go as they need no roads unless you are in Wood Elves.

DeletedUser3312

You can get to 160 and even 170% without spells and without the aid of your neighbors.

I have never had this, even when I first began and bought all sorts of culture to "decorate" with. It never went over 150. and at chapter 1 with over 300 extra culture.. and trust me that is a lot fo poles and trees... (I built parks lol cause I had no clue what I was doing and decorated before I put down factories. just houses and parks lol) Stop laughing at me.. it's not that funny. smiles....

DeletedUser4417

I have never had this, even when I first began and bought all sorts of culture to "decorate" with. It never went over 150. and at chapter 1 with over 300 extra culture.. and trust me that is a lot fo poles and trees... (I built parks lol cause I had no clue what I was doing and decorated before I put down factories. just houses and parks lol) Stop laughing at me.. it's not that funny. smiles....
lol

I went house and workshop crazy. I limped along a bit until the end of chapter I when I unlocked Holy Codex and then uh.. yeah.. went kinda nuts with those.. had like 12 I think lol.. But yeah Culture was max pegged at 170% before buffs and help until sometime into Chapter III. I think it was when I started upgrading houses and factories and it dropped like mad even though I was swapping the Codex's out for Butchers and then Dragons.

DeletedUser2753

It's hard to understand this thread.
Let me first say I am of the opinion exactly opposite of my friend Bobbykitty re: the Academy, spells and culture, but that is what makes a good game, vastly different strategies to advance. Look at my Jpegs, In one I am in Chapter 5 and the other Wood-elves and I love running everything at high culture boosts and High bonus with help from my fellowships and neighbors plus spells. I am constantly having to sell my coin and supplies to the damn wholesaler, multiple times each and every day in the million at a pop range for coin. One thing is clear 170% looks like the max

I did post previously and created a thread that I did not like the way The Bonus was calced and displayed and it was to hard to understand what you needed to get another 10% because the number constantly change.

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 101
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 103

DeletedUser3312

over 50,000 culture?!?!?!?! sheesh. do you have any factories and houses? smiles.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Hi Neharis
Unsure of the formula for the culture needed for the different bonus levels. It is most likely some function of your required culture. As someone mentioned it is likely a neighbourly help wore off which dropped your % bonus down.

The game and its players are very diverse in their approach, particularly to culture. Some only build to minimal culture needs and others to obtain the 170% (or any %) bonus. Everything depends on space, building options and number of visitors. The number of help-able buildings depends more on the type. If they are all the same then no worries as it doesn't matter which one a person helps. If you have a variety then it can make a big difference, for example you would prefer a garden of harmony to be helped over a swan. This and for space is often why people delete old cultural buildings, or try to hide the lower value ones up the back of their town.

Upgrading roads and cultural decorations can be worth while. It comes down to how you use your space. Having upgraded road can save you some cultural buildings and their benefit adds up. The decorations often have better culture per square then a road so you can also "book-end" roads with these items or put them in odd squares (if any).

Having 8 strong verse 20 less strong buildings comes down to neighbourly help and culture per square. If you only ever have 8 visitors a day then 12 of the 20 less strong buildings never get helped.even if you have 5 visitors a day would you prefer 5 less strong or 5 strong buildings to be helped. Humans in particular have an interesting case early on as the monster fountain has better culture per square but offer less total culture then the delicatessen butcher. In that instance they may build the fountains for space but if they still have the butcher prefer the help to go there as it gives more overall benefit.

There is no right approach, you need to decide what goals you have and find a strategy that suits those goals.

DeletedUser43

I don't know why that tip at the beginning of the game is so misleading, but you can have all 170% by yourself. I guess they are suggesting that getting nh is a good way to keep the bonus up, so that is why they suggest it?? In the early days we used to max out at 200%, then they changed it. However, it takes a lot of room for those culture buildings.

So much depends on what you find important in the game. If you care about score, then having excess culture is bad because you get zero ranking points for culture buildings. If you don't care about score, then you might want more. I found for my city, that having more houses and more workshops gives me just as much extra supplies and coins as I would get if I boosted my city with all that culture. Also, as your city grows, it takes a heck of a lot more culture to give you what you need.

In the woodelves chapter, you are required to have mana and the buildings that give you that mana also give you culture, so I don't know what this chapter will hold for me. You need a LOT of mana.

I agree that if you are going to focus on culture bonuses then you should have the largest culture buildings you can get for free instead of lots of little ones because you'll get all that nh from the big buildings.

When they changed things from 200% down to 170% I stopped going nuts trying to keep my culture up and I found, for me, that my city got a lot more interesting. I had tons more room for lots of different things.

Regarding the question about the roads...I always max them out to whatever culture bonus I can get from roads. That space is going to be used anyway for a road, it might as well help me culturally. But hey, everything in this game is about balance. There is no right answer. Try different things. Build, tear down, build differently, open another city, try something there. That is the fun of the game! I know one player who just wants one of every possible building! The game has such beautiful graphics (except the orcs! lol) that everything looks beautiful!

DeletedUser2753

In the woodelves chapter, you are required to have mana and the buildings that give you that mana also give you culture
I upgraded a few Dwarf towers I had saved at 5x5 and now have 5 Willows as well as 13 fairy ponds at 3700, So I have mana coming out my ass, more then I need. All I lack now is KPs and the tournament stalled on me
over 50,000 culture?!?!?!?! sheesh. do you have any factories and houses? smiles.
I started with simple plan, 4 mfgs of each boost, 10 workshops and then grow houses to 40. I now have more then that but still just have 12 mfgs and 10 workshops, all in 90 expansions. Oh I kept 4 small Planks after the contest since why not. I have room

DeletedUser2870

I like the idea of high culture boosts. However, it just is not always feasible. And as BobbyKitty states, it may actually at sometimes be more efficient to put down an additional workshop and some residences to get the same effect. Not to mention that the additional residences will provide pop as well as gold, and I tend to be short on pop.
So when I get to the end of a chapter there often are a lot of new large culturebuildings. I wipe out as many of the older ones I can and replace them with the better ones, meaning that when I start the new chapter I often have a high culturebonus, which disappears as I go through it, until I reach the end and the process starts over again.
So most of the time, I run around 125%. If it gets higher than that, that's because of neighbourly help.
I do agree and often upgrade roads asap. That space is going to be road anyway. Best make the most use of it.

Last edited by a moderator: