• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Must I build a barracks?

I've started a new, tiny, intentionally slow-growing city in a new world. I want to exclusively cater/convince. Do I HAVE to build a barracks? As in, will there come a point where the game will simply not progress if I don't?

HKRM

I have one catering only city as well. I chose not to build barracks and haven’t had any trouble. Be aware that completing chapter quests while in the current chapter is pretty much impossible. You’ll have to wait until the next chapter so you can turn down the ones involving military. There’s no going back once a barracks is placed. It cannot be teleported or sold.

HKRM

Thanks, HKRM! Yes, I've already been experiencing not being able to complete chapter quests...since the next quest is to place a barracks. *sigh* I can't remember when you start being able to turn down chapter quests. I thought maybe it was in chapter 3. It sounds like you are saying that I simply need to get into a 'new' chapter. What level are you currently in your catering city?

HKRM

I just completed Woodelves. You should be able to cancel chapter quests after you complete the advanced scouts research for the next chapter. I experienced a glitch where I had to place an armory and then sell it to get the quest line moving but over all I was able to cancel once I’d progressed to the next chapter.
My best advice is find a fellowship that will take your trades. You’ll be completely stuck unless you have exceptional neighbors. Then you should be good until orcs chapter.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
I can't remember when you start being able to turn down chapter quests. I thought maybe it was in chapter 3. It sounds like you are saying that I simply need to get into a 'new' chapter. What level are you currently in your catering city?
Don't be discouraged. I ignore the bossy people on my left edge all the time! Eventually, it's just not worth jumping through hoops building nonsense at their timetable for a few coins, hammers, and crappy rewards.

Zoof

I've started a new, tiny, intentionally slow-growing city in a new world. I want to exclusively cater/convince. Do I HAVE to build a barracks? As in, will there come a point where the game will simply not progress if I don't?
I'm trying my own hand at a barracks-free city on a different world, though I intend to see how far and how fast I can go with cater-only and ridiculous amounts of supply/goods/coins generic/cyclable quest abuse. To that end...

Yes, you can skip the barracks. Early chapter military action is awful anyway. You aren't missing much, and your population/culture will thank you for that decision. As has been mentioned before, once you build it, you can't go back.

If you absolutely have to have military production capability for reasons, you can build training grounds instead. It is totally reversible/sellable. Throwing up some armories to satisfy some other quests is doable and also reversible. The only use case I can think of at the moment is for event quests that demand that you recruit a bunch of troops. I found out the hard way that using troop instant spells to summon them does NOT count as "recruit".

Anything you can't decline are usually story quests. All story quests can be declined the instant you make it into the next chapter proper by researching and unlocking the first technology of that chapter, which is usually Advanced Scouts. If you cross that threshold and still can't decline that stubborn quest, refresh the game and possibly take those steps tech support usually tells you to do and it should be declinable then. If not, then file a support ticket. They're usually responsive for such things a stuck quests.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Thanks, HKRM! Yes, I've already been experiencing not being able to complete chapter quests...since the next quest is to place a barracks. *sigh* I can't remember when you start being able to turn down chapter quests. I thought maybe it was in chapter 3. It sounds like you are saying that I simply need to get into a 'new' chapter. What level are you currently in your catering city?

You can't decline quests until chapter 6, and then only the guest race quests. There was someone asking about being forced to build an armory in order to complete a quest and someone from Inno told them early chapter quests like that are never able to be declined. Of course, the big difference there is that the armory can be sold after the quest is done, but the barracks is a core building and can never be removed once it is built.

Zoof

You can't decline quests until chapter 6, and then only the guest race quests. There was someone asking about being forced to build an armory in order to complete a quest and someone from Inno told them early chapter quests like that are never able to be declined. Of course, the big difference there is that the armory can be sold after the quest is done, but the barracks is a core building and can never be removed once it is built.
That's strange. I was able to boot the barracks quest straight out of my quest buffer the moment I beheld chapter 2 in its fullest beauty. This was about a month ago; was I lucky?

EDIT: For additional context, I left my (currently) chapter 3 city purposefully stuck on the chapter 1 quest cycle to take advantage of quest cycling. My current story quest, which wants me to use Power of Provision, is declinable and I'm being quite careful to avoid poking that, so I don't know about the declinability of story quests past chapter 1 and before chapter 6. I don't want to lose my cash cow that is 10k coins per 30 boosted goods

DeletedUser30612

You’ll have to build one armory and you can skip every quests besides that one.