• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

My Lord!

Maevie

It's a small thing, but in the dialogue for solving encounters, I am addressed as "lord" and it seems odd considering I'm not er...equipped as such. :p I realize the game doesn't differentiate on whether a player is male or female, but surely there is a more androgynous term...

Maevie

Well, that's a shame if "hey you" is all you can imagine.

All I'm requesting is to be addressed as a gender neutral term. It would be the simplest way to implement the change instead of asking to have it changed to "Lady", which I'm sure wouldn't happen and most male players wouldn't appreciate if it did. I'm not a man and don't wish to be identified as one in my fantasy space, but I would happily accept a term that can go either way and doesn't have religious connotations.

Last edited:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Well, that's a shame if "hey you" is all you can imagine.

All I'm requesting is to be addressed as a gender neutral term. It would be the simplest way to implement the change instead of asking to have it changed to "Lady", which I'm sure wouldn't happen and most male players wouldn't appreciate if it did. I'm not a man and don't wish to be identified as one in my fantasy space, but I would happily accept a term that can go either way and doesn't have religious connotations.

Many fantasy books use "lord" for either gender.

Personally I'd be more offended by the game going all pc gender neutral, than being called "milady."

Maevie

Personally I'd be more offended by the game going all pc gender neutral, than being called "milady."

Guess it depends on what you're reading. The fantasy novels I've read generally referred to males as "lord/prince/king" and females as "lady/princess/queen", unless the female had to take on "masculine" attributes and titles in order to for her authority to be respected.

Despite the derogatory definition of political correctness revolving around neutral terminology, the prevalence of narratives that favor man = power seems plenty pc on its own. If powerful men never felt offended or threatened by the notion of powerful women, women wouldn't have had to pretend they were men to simply be heard and taken seriously. :rolleyes:

If "lord" is used for either gender, then it's already considered "pc gender neutral" (not in my book, but that seems to be what is underpinning your gripe with my suggestion)... so why aren't you offended then? LOL

@WinterLord Joe, that's what I'm talking about. Your Majesty. Your Greatness. Your Highness. I'd wager that if any of these were already in use within the game from the beginning, no one would have said, "What's up with that pc garbage?! I should be Lord!"

Last edited:

DeletedUser9049

Why the heck would you be offended if say, 'My Lord' was changed to 'Your Majesty? Answer about that thing about being called milady, you would rather be called a girl than have a gender- neutral term?

DeletedUser9049

Why the heck would you be offended if say, 'My Lord' was changed to 'Your Majesty? Answer about that thing about being called milady, you would rather be called a girl than have a gender- neutral term?
Not trying to be rude, just curious.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One

Because I don't find things like that offensive. I am past the point of caring what people call me. And before you say it, no I did not say I would be offended being called a gender neutral term. What offends me is people wasting so much energy on things like this when the world has real problems.
I just read an article about someone who insist people refer to her/him as "they."
That is just ridiculous to me.

Maevie

What offends me is people wasting so much energy on things like this when the world has real problems.

Yet, you don't consider it a waste of energy to play games such as Elvenar 'while Rome burns' and would rather sit here starting a fire about a game-related suggestion on a game-dedicated forum than engaging in some meaningful activism? o_O

Note: this is not meant as disrespect for any players or the Elvenar team; just pointing out what most serious activists who are working on real world solutions to problems say about gaming in general as well as the contradictions in the arguments against my suggestion.

Last edited:

SimplyNoble

I don't find it bothersome but can understand why some might. I think replacing "My Lord" with "My Liege" might make it a more acceptable form of address for whatever gender a person professes to be.