• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mykans Guide - Fighting guide

Mykan

Oh Wise One
There are a lot of wonders that boost different military aspects or provide free troops. I have 2 towns one with and one without wonders and the ones boosting your military do make a difference. Some of the wonders I have started comparing in my wonder section of the guide. I still need to do more in the military space but check in there from time to time.

Note that wonders that produce units or increase training size can be handy in the production of military and save you lots of supplies.

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It's tough to give blanket answers. It depend on your space and goals and level of your Barracks among other things. If your barracks often run dry overnight, the Dwarven Bulwark allows you to train a lot more at once. It can be better than an extra armory, and turns out some light troops every three hours for free. Similarly, the Shrine of Shrewdy Shrooms bumps up your training size and gives you archers free every three hours.

DeletedUser7370

The only other question I have right now is Ancient Wonders... I have Needles of the Tempest, The only other ones that seem to help the most are Martial Monastery, and Heroes Forge, but space is limited, and Needles was pushing it for the worth. But it does not seem worth building any others.
I consider the Martial Monastery to be the most important military wonder in my city. The increase in health definitely improves troop survival. If you have one of your squads trading blows with one enemy squad that tiny health bonus makes a very big difference. Your troops can handle stronger enemies and you have smaller losses which reduces training costs.

The Needles is the one I consider second most important. Heavy tournament activity can eat 10 squads a day. The speed bonus from the Needles is what allows my barracks to keep up. There is another wonder later (Flying Academy) that gives a similar speed bonus to the Mercenary Camp. I won't consider that wonder to be of equal value until more of the camp troops have promotion techs.

And, one more small thing... The buildings that help fighting, and then are gone in 5 days or whatever... I could be wrong, but they don't seem worth it either.
They can be beneficial for tournaments. Train a large number of squads of the right units for a future tournament. Drop 4 of those buildings on day 1 and then fight out to 20 provinces for as many rounds as you can. Think of it this way, if you drop 2 damage enhancers and 4 health enhancers, then you have effectively doubled your squad size. Having your squad size doubled means fighting on round 6 of the tournament would still be easy because their squad size would be about 75% of your effective squad size out to some silly number of provinces.

DeletedUser8292

Another question... why don't the enemy troops degrade like mine, or are they part of a bigger pool of enemies, and the more I loose the ones I kill will start to show up?

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Enemy squads don't degrade. It is more like a puzzle whose difficulty is fixed when you scout and then you find different ways to solve the puzzle or just "buy" your way past it. Combat difficulty is designed to provide a soft cap on exploration, they just haven't provided the same for negotiating except for orcs in chapter 8 and only then for those prior to orcs.

DeletedUser8292

also... thanks TedGrau, Ashrem and Mykan. for the answers to the previous questions I had.

DeletedUser12171

for some reason, the photos in the first post are not showing for me

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
for some reason, the photos in the first post are not showing for me
Something has gone wonky (note my really informed technical vocabulary here) with images in a couple of @Mykan 's guide threads. I know he was working on fixing them. He got a couple fixed pretty quick but some of the others may take more time.

MichaelMichael

Day and Night Trader
Nice guide, but with all the changes, I have become confused. I am late in the game, the last chapter as a Human. Everything is pretty much maxed out with 6 armories with lots of AW. Most at level 6, Needles at 16, Dragon Abby at 11, I craft the useful buildings for Offensive and Defensive bonuses as much as possible. In the bad old days (with just a training camp), the tournament was simple, build the troop types best fitting tournament and then try hard to select ones that were advantaged or even (with preference for advantaged) in each fight. Generally I could usually drop 4 buildings down for each fight, but found it better to use 5 when it would make a big difference and 3 other times. Mages rock for Humans. in the old steel tournament, many fights had Zero losses and I'd complete 30-35 provinces instead of 18-24 all using just autofight. The only real issue was getting enough time instants and supplies or other sources to get troops. Then the game changed (twice) ...

The training ground and Merc camp are relatively new to me, but are close to max level now. The only really limiting resource is Orcs I am considering troops to build and use. Reading the guide, I am still unsure. I have the three trainers working as follows:

Training Center: 50% Priests, and a mix of Crossbowmen & Paladins (as needed)
Merc Center: Wardens & Frog, but it seems that keeping inventory of Frogs is easier, so mostly Wardens
Training Grounds: Cerebruses, they die like flies but I think they are the best light troops

In my production scheme, I like Rangers better than Crossbowmen, but I can't produce enough rangers and when I use time instants, my Training Center get them due to its higher production rate. In fights I do the same thing I did before, choose the best category, but without troop structure in tournaments (just 3 types in each tournament e.g. Light Melee, Heavy Melee & Heavy Range in Steel), there is little structure for customized preparation for the new tournament design. I do a few more manual fights, but I am never sure I actually did better by fighting it out. So far, I've been accumulating buildings so I can drop 6 to 8 at a time periodically rather than half that number every time. My questions are:

1. Is my troop manufacture plan a good one, or should I be building different "go to" troops? My choices today are:
a. Light Melee - Cerebrus
b. Light Range - Wardens (augmented with Crossbowmen as an alternate)
c. Mage - Priests
d. Heavy Melee - Paladins
e. Heavy Range - Frogs
2. Should I consider investing in "Grounds of the Orc Strategist"? Are Orc strategist better than Frogs?
3. In the new Tournament schema, at some point, I need to cater rather than fight. Today I go until I lose in different categories based on type matchups and experience. Is there some quick and dirty rules I should follow? In the old schema, I kept track of losses in diamonds for instance.
4. How should I mix my troops? today I go most often with 3 of one type and 2 of another. Occasionally 5 of one type. In a split stack, I put the Melee units in first with the mages always last. I have one "go to" unit in each of the 5 categories, Is there any real advantage to adding complexity and having both Frogs and Orc Strategist available for example?
5. Do manual fights reduce losses? In a manual fight. my plan is basically to kill one enemy at a time and the normal combat game of range strikers hiding from Melee and Melee chasing range strikers down. Mix into that mix a desire to spread minuses to most of the opposing troops and the complexity can become high. Some people really enjoy directing the fights, me? .. not so much
6. Fight bonus buildings plan - is every other tournament with 6 buildings better than every tournament with 3?

Some of these questions, experience may answer (3-6), but many may already have good answers from someone of greater experience. All thoughts are appreciated

Last edited:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Despite the changes to tournaments I never have updated this guide. Partly because the basics still hold true and also that the graphics are still relevant to world map provinces. I have however noticed fellowships still use the old combat information for tournaments so I thought I would add a small update to this guide.

Tournaments 2020 onwards
Tournaments still favour certain troops but not exclusively. The below chart shows you the most common enemy units for a given tournament week but you will still have random combinations. Having a most common enemy does mean you can prepare a most common unit to attack with.
1660516917900.png

This chart was made when tournaments first changed and I have not updated it since then, I do customise my own approach a little differently but it is what suits my town. As every town is unique there will be specific customisation for each person, more so with chapter. A couple tips on troops to produce:
  • Production, production production. The more you produce the more you can do (or afford to lose). You want your town producing troops 24/7 from all 3 military buildings (when available)
  • Range, range, range - In general the ranged troops have a large advantage over the melee troops. So favouring the 3 ranged unit types is a decent option.
  • Mages and archers should form the core of your production and army. Firstly they are ranged units and secondly they have boost buildings specific to their unit type. Craft those as often as you can.
For lower chapter towns:
  • Vallorian vallor and grounds of orc strategists provide free troops that you can't unlock for several chapters. They also produce them at a decent amount compared to what your barracks can. If you favour these for culture you can get a reasonable troop production of strong units. Each chapter/unit tech just check if they are still a good option for you compared to what you can make.
  • Other free unit buildings can be handy too depending on qty and unit provided.
  • Catering is your super power so use it and combat to support that until your army is strong enough
General tips:
  • Combat needs vary based on which province you are doing. First 6 provinces are designed for you to win even with worst possible options (except for later rounds of province 4-6). Difficulty jumps at province 20 so strategy needs to adjust. This happens at certain points and 40+ is another of those, you need to learn where these changes are.
  • Auto combat is often best with only 1 type of unit, however note as difficulty changes mixing units might be a better choice.
  • Free troop wonders can help to keep a good amount of other units available for random fights
  • Depending on the difficulty sometimes a neutral unit is a good choice. For example if your enemy is 3 HR, 2 LM then a HR might be a better choice than a mage (illustration only, of course with that combo you would go something else entirely)

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Thanks for updating this, @Mykan. I've had this thread linked to the Battle section as the map provinces is still relevant, but I left it off the Tourney Tips section. I've added your last post to the Tourney section now as well. Had similar issue with gem's material. Some stuff is still useful, but some stuff is outdated. I figured I'd tell people what/when the major tourney changes were and when and then they can shift through it to see if it's relevant.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
@Mykan May I use your tourney chart for Tournament Tips section, with attribution of course? One of the most frequently asked questions I get is what troops to train for which tournament.