• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Mystery of the Misty Forest Event discussion thread

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
1) each fog tile should be 1 of 3 things , a cat .. a reward .. a blank tile.
when a reward tile is clicked you then get a choice of 3 chests, so you can
have some control over what you want.... basically which strategy ur after....
( going for evolves , going for daily prizes, or going for more event currency )
And obstacles, right? Otherwise, the ONLY strategy is 3 candles forward, deploy lantern, repeat.
So that means a fog tile can be a cat .. a reward .. a blank tile, or an obstacle, so already implemented?
6) perhaps a different system for GP progress, like having to clear every tile in the most
efficient manner, thus # tiles would be the metric ( would need different light pkgs tho ).
Or even revealing ( light'n up the fog ) in every tile, still metric would be # tiles.
Already the strategy to do well in this event was to reveal the highest number of tiles, so already implemented?

There ya go, 2 suggestions already implemented ;)

Ivy1996

Did not read all the previous comments. I like the new setup a lot. It was fun. Got nine artifacts, so not complaining. I also like picking chests to optimize what you are going for, but this a nice different approach! Thx!

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
To follow up one what I said in a previous post, on Beta I got 8 artifacts and was 12 cats short of the 9th. I was not optimal in my spending or light placement there, so I hoped to stay more focused and do better on Live. I did do a little better, with 8 artifacts and 5 cats short of the 9th. I was still guilty of wanting to open every chest, even the ones with only a 5% or 6% chance at the daily prize, so I could have still been more focused on getting cats and gotten that 9th artifact. And like I have also said before, I have seen this format in other mobile games, so I can't give proper feedback for that, as I am used to this system.

Aritra

really lame and very much in " favour of the house"
And yes favour is spelt correctly....0-0...
I read a lot of Tolkien when I was young and developed an affinity for the "u" version of words. Had a bit of difficulty in seventh grade because teacher kept marking it as spelled incorrectly. I argued, but that was that. I conformed to save my grades but still use it now. Sometimes, when typing, that "u" inserts itself without even thinking of it. Looks like my subconscious brain simply knows that's how you spell the word. Haha I'm weird. Sometimes.

DarkKitty

Sometimes, when typing, that "u" inserts itself without even thinking of it.

I'm American but was educated in the UK. I am also dyslexic. Nightmare for spelling. I got my first job in the UK, too. I was writing for a newspaper in Manchester.

My editor always loved my articles but would tease me about my "Americanisms." Trying to internalize the "correct" way to spell "centre", "theatre" or "favourite" was super stressful. I would triple guess myself on everything I typed. People often knock your intellect or say you're lazy and they don't consider learning disabilities. At least my editor thought I was American and therefore, didn't know any better.

I still spell things erratically. I throw out "u"s with abandon. Honestly, I'd rather be charged with pretension than ignorance. And as an Anglophile, I'm definitely here for British alternatives. :)

LutherTheHairy

I liked it. It was a nice change. A little more exciting since it DID feel more random. And Ms. Sniffles' transformation after the last quest was cute.
Ms.Sniffles.png

Seems most people didn't like it. I hope this event structure is used again, maybe with some tweaks, like a guaranteed daily prize in a chest after spending some number of candles to tamp down the frustration. I also wold not mind switching between event formats to keep it fresh.

I got lucky enough to get most of the daily prizes I was after. Took a LOT of screen to get my scarecrow and burning man though. I ended up with 8 artifacts and nearly to the next non artifact grand prize. Good enough. I will pick up the 9th in FA.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I got lucky enough to get most of the daily prizes I was after. Took a LOT of screen to get my scarecrow and burning man though. I ended up with 8 artifacts and nearly to the next non artifact grand prize. Good enough. I will pick up the 9th in FA.
It seems the ones who were lucky liked it a lot; the ones who weren't, but worked just as hard and just as smart, did not like it. That's the way it usually goes, so I think it would be better for Inno to make it a little more balanced so that such wide swings do not occur. When you spend the last 110 currency on a screen that reveals zip except unusable cats (because you can't get enough to get to the next level) and not even a single low level spell or nothing, that can sour a person on this kind of event. Never before have I spent 110 currency and gotten zip. At least I got a single spell, or something, before this.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
it was an interesting new system. Had to think a little bit. So i can see why some younger ppl or those not fond of critical thinking were not fans.
My only suggestion would be altering the amount of candles/lanterns you get when buying. If you use both strategically, then you always end up with not enough candles to effectively use all the lanterns you got. Or at least that is what happened for me every time i got the 420 package on my city, and the same on another city.

LutherTheHairy

When you spend the last 110 currency on a screen that reveals zip except unusable cats

Sounds like a good night's sleep or two has not relieved your frustration.

Maybe I got lucky. I mostly was after artifacts and couple of key buildings. I really wanted scarecrows and burning men. I probably spent 1200 ingredients those two days alone. I got two scarecrows and one burning man. I also wanted Freakenspleen and a windmill and got reasonably lucky those days, only spending a few hundred before I got each one.

DarkKitty

If you use both strategically, then you always end up with not enough candles to effectively use all the lanterns you got.

I think this happened because the layout was random. If there were a plan then it would be mapped in Beta and we could just follow along.

This way, all you can do is try and hope you get something neat when the game randomly spits something at you. But being random, there's no way to know in advance what you would need to move effectively.

That's why I'm not sure it came down to age or being a fan of critical thinking, you can think about how to move optimally but still not be rewarded for the effort because it's based on chance.

I hope this format was a one time only thing. I did not like it at all. Going through the quests was about the same as before, but the extra work needed to gain daily prizes or cats or whatever those animals were to gain Evolvement hats left a lot to be desired, at least for me. In past events I was able to gain the building required quickly, the was able to get at least 8-10 Evolvement upgrades. This time I got the building quickly, but was only able to gain 4 Evolvement upgrades. I didn't build this building because I wanted to see how many upgrades I could get. 4 is not enough. I won't be building this one without having enough upgrades to make it worth my time and effort to have the building pay off profitably. If this format is repeated you can count on one less player's participation. Not all "improvements" are good.

The Unbeliever

I hope this format was a one time only thing. I did not like it at all. Going through the quests was about the same as before, but the extra work needed to gain daily prizes or cats or whatever those animals were to gain Evolvement hats left a lot to be desired, at least for me. In past events I was able to gain the building required quickly, the was able to get at least 8-10 Evolvement upgrades. This time I got the building quickly, but was only able to gain 4 Evolvement upgrades. I didn't build this building because I wanted to see how many upgrades I could get. 4 is not enough. I won't be building this one without having enough upgrades to make it worth my time and effort to have the building pay off profitably. If this format is repeated you can count on one less player's participation. Not all "improvements" are good.
If you only gained 4 upgrades, then you simply went through the forest in an insanely inefficient manner, while also likely badly misspending on the tool options...

Darielle

Sounds like a good night's sleep or two has not relieved your frustration.

Maybe I got lucky. I mostly was after artifacts and couple of key buildings. I really wanted scarecrows and burning men. I probably spent 1200 ingredients those two days alone. I got two scarecrows and one burning man. I also wanted Freakenspleen and a windmill and got reasonably lucky those days, only spending a few hundred before I got each one.
No, I'm not frustrated anymore. I'm just relating my experience so that hopefully Inno will listen to all the complaints and never have such a lopsided event again. But in the end, a game is a game. I did get the witches hut, which I LOVE (and which will be at 10 after the FA), and I got two headless halloween which are also great for the pop and culture. In every event, you always come out ahead of where you were when you went into it, so frustration does tend to be fleeting. I'm glad some people were lucky, Luther. At least that's better overall than nothing. I do hope that Inno does listen to everyone and tweaks it. Someone mentioned that FOE had a similar game as this, but in that one it was fairer. Perhaps they'll adopt that so that people who like this type may still have it without too much frustration, however fleeting, on others' parts.

Darielle

If you get two from the FA, then a level 7 witch hut is still worth it. It's one of the best buildings they've had in events. Good luck on the FA.

aerondor

I really liked how to get the rewards you had to think. And I really liked the witches hut too. Even with all the artefacts I didn't bother placing the wise golem or either of my bears. But KP, no feeding and toads to boot. It was worth going the extra mile.

Hurrah for the event design, so much better than the roulette style ones.

For the record, I got 9 artefacts, but only just, and only by avoiding all the other prizes (unless they were on or very, very close to on, my optimal route for advancement).

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
Nothing quite like slipping a little insult in for anyone who disagrees with you.

Not at all. I didnt say everyone that didnt like it is an idiot. Mearly that there are players who play the game as a more relaxing thing to do and who simply arnt looking for something mentaly taxing. As well as some that simply dont care enough about the game to be bothered with a slightly more in-depth system.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Just some of them, without supporting evidence. I guess that's okay then.....

Well, the world does have a good number of idiots, but people use that term way too loosely to cover people who are smart, but just don't think first. Also, I am sorry, but the number of members of the Elvenar Facebook group who are several chapters into the guest races, yet still ask if they need to keep any of the buildings for the next guest race chapter, just amazes me at their lack of critical thinking, if that is the right term. But yeah, in general, we use the terms idiot, dumb, stupid, etc all way too much and for the wrong situations. I do not even like using the word ignorant because too many people equate that to stupid, rather than the real definition.

But in the end, let's just say that some people prefer to play in a sub-optimal way and others play in a super-optimized way and then there is the majority of us in the middle. And some sub-optimal players are like that because they have not learned other ways and some want their cities that way and know how to be more efficient, but choose not to.