• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Needing Orcs

Fayeanne

It's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to seem. This is not an unrecoverable error. Yes, technically it means you spent more resources than you otherwise would have, but those are resources you can recover. It also means you won't be able to clear provinces for quests for the time being, but events have been good lately about providing an "or" for province encounters, so you can still progress. You just need to keep playing and let your city catch up to your world map progress. On the plus side, you have plenty of expansions now to use to recover those resources, which you otherwise wouldn't have had.

But I do recommend actually reading the dialogue of your advisors. The main quests are basically this game's tutorial (especially early on). What they tell you to do is generally stuff that you need to do to progress your city. And when the scout on a "Very Hard" province says "You really ought to think twice before doing this," you really should take that as the game warning you: this might not be a good idea.

Not all of the dialogue is fluff text. :) (And some of it is actually quite funny besides.)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Interesting. I like to play first and look stuff up after.

Yep, there are players like me who rely on experience to teach them until they get an intuitive feel for the game, including figuring out the pitfalls, and there are players who rely on the experience of those who have gone before to avoid the pitfalls, and read of those experiences in the forum, etc. If you want efficiency and a smooth sail, I'd think relying on the experience of other players makes more sense. In either case you'll get there eventually if you just keep sailing.

AJ

Aritra

@Dew Spinner and @Alram
This is the first game I ever played (so I had no prior experience) and I was still playing solo and in dwarves before I joined the Forum (and FS two months later). I did just fine. I saw the Elvenar advertisements for their wiki and joining the forum, but it didn't register as something I might care to read, so not much in the way of reading materials, research, or Q&A homework (I did look on the wiki from time to time, but I don't recall anything of significance except for understand the dimensions--which number indicated tiles in which direction). I didn't know about Gems of Knowledge or ElvenArchitect before coming here. I just played, did what I wanted, and followed my intuition to do what the game characters told me to do or ignore them (I hear new players complain about a hardship they're dealing with and blame it on "the game told me to" and I roll my eyes). I have almost no regrets (can't even think of one at the moment). While it is true that joining a FS undeniably accelerated my city's progress, I do not regret the six months playing how I wanted and developing my goals and playstyle on my own (without well-intentioned voices telling me how I might not want to do that, putting it nicely). Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen isn't a good thing. I am glad I had that time to listen to myself, and now I have been coming here and deciding for myself which advice I want to follow or ignore. And I am very happy with my city. :cool: I didn't fumble but some of the pitfalls can be devastating to some players. There is no reset, oops, go back and try again. You're stuck with the consequences of the uninformed decision and that can really impact a new player's satisfaction and willingness to push through. This is quite unfortunate. I'm not sure what the solution is, however.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
I smiled to read @Aritra's comment. I started Elvenar when my FB games were winding up, and really enjoyed picking up gold from my houses while waiting for my health to regenerate elsewhere. I enjoyed it so much that I filled my starter city with houses. My big neighbor messaged me the moment I finished and asked me what I was planning to do for supplies.
He was very patient and walked me through the process of selling a fair few so that I had room for workshops. Without the kindness of a neighbor, none of you would know me, because I would have hit a wall and quit playing.

Not everyone is as silly as I was, good thing. I start new cities but never can recapture the feel of that, out on the rim, alone but for 5 neighbors, and a Ruffian to lend a hand.

Be patient, you will soon have orcs.

Dew Spinner

@Dew Spinner and @Alram
This is the first game I ever played (so I had no prior experience) and I was still playing solo and in dwarves before I joined the Forum (and FS two months later). I did just fine. I saw the Elvenar advertisements for their wiki and joining the forum, but it didn't register as something I might care to read, so not much in the way of reading materials, research, or Q&A homework (I did look on the wiki from time to time, but I don't recall anything of significance except for understand the dimensions--which number indicated tiles in which direction). I didn't know about Gems of Knowledge or ElvenArchitect before coming here. I just played, did what I wanted, and followed my intuition to do what the game characters told me to do or ignore them (I hear new players complain about a hardship they're dealing with and blame it on "the game told me to" and I roll my eyes). I have almost no regrets (can't even think of one at the moment). While it is true that joining a FS undeniably accelerated my city's progress, I do not regret the six months playing how I wanted and developing my goals and playstyle on my own (without well-intentioned voices telling me how I might not want to do that, putting it nicely). Sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen isn't a good thing. I am glad I had that time to listen to myself, and now I have been coming here and deciding for myself which advice I want to follow or ignore. And I am very happy with my city. :cool: I didn't fumble but some of the pitfalls can be devastating to some players. There is no reset, oops, go back and try again. You're stuck with the consequences of the uninformed decision and that can really impact a new player's satisfaction and willingness to push through. This is quite unfortunate. I'm not sure what the solution is, however.
All of this depends on whether you are a casual player or competitive player. An oopsie for a casual player can very well be devastating for a competitive player. Correct me if I am wrong but you seem like a casual player and I am a competitive player, so therein lies the difference. For instance, not joining a FS for 6 months or so isn't major for a casual player but it's devastating to a competitive player. I started my FS for one on day 2, so I could play in the tournaments and by week 2 or 3 I was in a top 50 rank FS, now I'm in the 7th ranked FS in my world.

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@Dew Spinner and @Alram
I do not regret the six months playing how I wanted and developing my goals and playstyle on my own (without well-intentioned voices telling me how I might not want to do that, putting it nicely).

I hid out for almost 2 years before somebody knocked and asked me in. I was just past ch 6 or 7, I believe. Now I lead the fs I joined. So it didn't work out so well....all that WORK! ;)

AJ